PDA

View Full Version : hair light

reaction
29-07-2011, 10:32am
remind me again how to set the hair light?
I usually have it 2 stops down, but then it's zoomed to max. Should I snoot it or not?

What angle should I do? From behind, or from the same level? I've found issues with shadow caused by either the fringe or eyelashes if the subject isn't exactly still (hence I haven't been snooting lately) If I have it from the same level then at times the tip of the nose gets lit!

Because of the aiming issue I keep having to climb back and adjust the aim/power. I can't tell sometimes whether the subject simply had moved forwards or if the power is too low.

James T
29-07-2011, 10:47am
Sounds like you're aware of the main 'issues' that may arise, mainly lighting across the front of the model's face by mistake.

To answer your question: however you like to get the look you want.

You can set it higher, lower, or the same power as your key light. And anywhere from directly behind the model, to almost in-front of them.

Same goes for height, hair/rim lights can be effective placed on the floor, or on a boom way over head.

Just think about where you want the light to fall, and it should be easy enough to point a light at it. :)

Geoff
29-07-2011, 8:41pm
Maybe set a mark on the floor and have the model stand on that? Or consider something that allows remote power adjustment? I just made a switch to Elinchrom studio lights - the ability to remotely adjust power (amongst other things) was a big attraction.
I believe for speedlighters there are ETTL radio based transmitter/recievers that allow a similar function (Pocketwizard Flex etc...am sure there must be a less expensive alternative though...perhaps just CLS if you shoot Nikon).

If you're a studio light shooter...modelling lamps are your friend (it felt like I was like cheating when I first got mine).

Anyway - I tend to agree with James - more about pre-visualizing the light first, then experimenting until it looks right. With practice you'll spend less time experimenting as you'll know the look you like and how to get there....then...you shake it up and try something new :)

Spillage of hair light onto front of face is a no-no generally. If that is happening then set it a little further behind the model IMO.
Good luck.

reaction
29-07-2011, 9:01pm
I'm wanting the light on the front part of the hair at the top
thus the easy spill :(
maybe I should have it lower, and more flat?

Geoff
29-07-2011, 9:16pm
Ahhh I see. So both are coming in say, model front? Have you considered one large light source to do double duty. Nice soft light on hair and face simply by lifting the umbrella/octa up a little above and angling down? I'm sure I'm missing something.
I confess I tend to use hair lights from the opposite side to lift shadow or add separation...but I more often shoot with just one large light source.

Hard lights from multiple directions near the face is certainly an interesting challenge.

reaction
30-07-2011, 10:39pm
it was coming from back, about 1ft back. but i was aiming at the front
my box isn't that big - 27", it doesn't seem to light dark hair well

n00g33
18-08-2011, 9:44pm
Where is your key light coming from? And is it only two lights? Use a diagram maybe?

I agree with Geoff - bigger light source = more light wrap around and less shadows. So even if you wanted to light the hair more you could counter the shadows with your key light a bit.

reaction
19-08-2011, 11:32am
My key is a 27" box. I have a 3rd light which I try to use as a hard edge light on the other side, or sometimes I don't use.

Darey
19-08-2011, 4:35pm
Reaction,
I am no expert but like the results of the 1st light setup demonstrated by Mark Wallace in the following link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNcZ_q5LCU0

Is that what you are looking for ?