PDA

View Full Version : Mini meetup / Lessons west of the Range

BecdS
26-07-2011, 8:26am
Hi all! I live about 5 hours west of Brisbane, on the western side of the Toowoomba range. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for any mention of a meetup out this way, although I'd definitely try to go to any on the other side of the mountains.

I've been in contact with Dave (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/member.php?3095-DAdeGroot) about having a / some lessons and he mentioned that if there was enough interest in a group meeting, he could come out this way.

Is anyone interested? It could be anywhere from Toowoomba westward. If there isn't enough interest for him to come out, perhaps someone would like to go down with me?

:th3:

yummymummy
26-07-2011, 8:53am
I'll be in that! depending on when of course! ( kids play footy etc, thank god it's nearly the end of hte season lolol).. putting my hand up as a tentative yes.

andylo
26-07-2011, 8:55am
I am (well... we are... my wife and myself) will be at Warwick for couple of days. 5-6/Aug. Hoping to do some photo and some golf later in the day :) Would that be close enough to your way?

41jas
26-07-2011, 10:53am
When the weather slightly warms up I reckon do a meet up at Toowoomba again. It's been a while since I've been there and we might even stay in the camper Saturday night and have 2 days there. I will keep you posted on that one. Maybe around September. :)

41jas
26-07-2011, 10:58am
Might even have a day out at the Jondaryan Woolshed (http://www.jondaryanwoolshed.com/01_about/01_about.htm). Might even stay there. They have powered sites and cabins.

BecdS
26-07-2011, 11:51am
Might even have a day out at the Jondaryan Woolshed (http://www.jondaryanwoolshed.com/01_about/01_about.htm). Might even stay there. They have powered sites and cabins.

Funny that you mention this! From 10th - 18th September, Jondaryan Woolshed has their Heritage Festival. I've only been once, a couple of years ago, but I've been told that it's a really great, especially on the weekend. I was thinking about asking if anyone wanted to do a meetup for this, but didn't want to ask too many things at once.

41jas
26-07-2011, 12:11pm
Funny that you mention this! From 10th - 18th September, Jondaryan Woolshed has their Heritage Festival. I've only been once, a couple of years ago, but I've been told that it's a really great, especially on the weekend. I was thinking about asking if anyone wanted to do a meetup for this, but didn't want to ask too many things at once.

Well there you go. I will get back to you with that one. For a photographers point of view...we don't really want crowds but then again it should be a good weekend.
Stay tuned ;)

ranvens
26-07-2011, 1:52pm
Toowoombaite here...... Will keep this thread subscribed.

Paul G
26-07-2011, 3:26pm
Carnival Of Flowers is on again too around the time of the Woolshed Heritage festival.

Bec are you around Roma or thereabouts? I'm hoping to get up to the back of Canarvon Gorge (camping around Big Bend) at some stage before the end of the year if you're interested in a camping weekend - 3 to 4 days?

John Elliott is another local who does workshops around this region. I been to a few and keep in touch with him regularly. You just missed one at Augathella although that may have been a bit too far away.
http://www.elliottcountry.com/

Ian
26-07-2011, 6:14pm
pappa smurf stick up his dump little paw and says he is interested also it is only about half an hour from Dalby. :food04::) ian(aka pappa smurf:costumed70:)

BecdS
26-07-2011, 8:06pm
Bec are you around Roma or thereabouts? I'm hoping to get up to the back of Canarvon Gorge (camping around Big Bend) at some stage before the end of the year if you're interested in a camping weekend - 3 to 4 days?

John Elliott is another local who does workshops around this region. I been to a few and keep in touch with him regularly. You just missed one at Augathella although that may have been a bit too far away.
http://www.elliottcountry.com/

I'm in Chinchilla! I've never been to Canarvon but I would absolutely LOVE to go! Please keep me informed about this trip.

It would be just my luck that I missed the Augathella lesson. Hopefully as I become more active here, I'll hear about these things before they're over.

Jacs14
26-07-2011, 8:06pm
When the weather slightly warms up I reckon do a meet up at Toowoomba again. It's been a while since I've been there and we might even stay in the camper Saturday night and have 2 days there. I will keep you posted on that one. Maybe around September. :)

depending on when me and Paul could be interested in a couple of days camping!! good excuse for checking out some new areas, get together and some photography!! Will watch the thread!

BecdS
27-07-2011, 12:30pm
I'm starting to think that I probably should have created two threads. :confused013:

Could anyone interested please let me know which one (or both), you'd like to attend? For the lesson/s with Dave, there will be a cost. I personally would like to have the lesson before any of the events, since I really need some help, so perhaps some time in August if that suits the majority?

larrywen
27-07-2011, 12:32pm

It looks to be a nice place to visit.

Paul G
27-07-2011, 1:03pm
Bec what sort of lesson are you looking to do with Dave? That may give people more of an idea if it's something they would attend. I've done stuff with Dave and Kane and it's well worth it.

gabby
27-07-2011, 6:22pm
Sounds interesting- I have just spent my tax refund and am now the very proud owner of a 7D canon, 50mm f1.8, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 telephoto lens and am keen to take my first DSLR shots. Any lessons to shorten the dreaded reading of manuals appeals. Weekend meets are always fun.. so count me in if it is not too far from the south coast.

Ian
27-07-2011, 7:29pm
I'm starting to think that I probably should have created two threads. :confused013:

Could anyone interested please let me know which one (or both), you'd like to attend? For the lesson/s with Dave, there will be a cost. I personally would like to have the lesson before any of the events, since I really need some help, so perhaps some time in August if that suits the majority?

Hi Becds, i am interested depending on how much, suggestion only for a location and that is around the Bunya Mountains, or back around towards Toowoomba, or inbetween like i said suggestions only. :food04::) ian(aka pappa smurf:costumed70:)

BecdS
28-07-2011, 5:12pm
Hi Becds, i am interested depending on how much, suggestion only for a location and that is around the Bunya Mountains, or back around towards Toowoomba, or inbetween like i said suggestions only. :food04::) ian(aka pappa smurf:costumed70:)

The Bunya's sound great, Ian! Everything is a bit dead and sad out my way, so towards Toowoomba is probably a really good idea. Anyone else interested, or have other suggestions? I'll check in with Dave tomorrow with numbers and see if there are enough and how much it might cost, and keep you posted!

richie4540
28-07-2011, 9:15pm
The Bunya's sound great, Ian! Everything is a bit dead and sad out my way, so towards Toowoomba is probably a really good idea. Anyone else interested, or have other suggestions? I'll check in with Dave tomorrow with numbers and see if there are enough and how much it might cost, and keep you posted!

I would be interested in a western meet up and camping trip- I am from brissie but go out to cecil plains and dalby quite often for my wifes work and last time spent 2 nights at jondaryian WS in the cabins, i got some good shots when no one else was around of the old wool sheds and gear and trucks.

regards richard

gabby
02-08-2011, 5:43pm
What about early spring in Tenterfield/ Stanthorpe- There are 3 national parks close by including Bald rocks Nat Park- Sand erosion forms at Ghost Gully just outside Tenterfield - old railway stations at Tenterfield & Wallangarra- lots of wineries and berry farms at Stanthorpe- all the stone fruit trees in flower - lots of balancing rock formations- and a stupendous old cottage called Henri's cottage attached to an awful pink coloured motel across the road from the Tenterfield information centre?????

ranvens
06-08-2011, 4:15pm
Rang the Woolshed Yesterday, its $13 adult entry. Kids under 5 are free and Kids 5-15 are $5 (I Think)

BecdS
08-08-2011, 8:31am
It sounds like there's a lot of interest in a meetup, which is awesome! :th3:

So far we have suggestions for Toowoomba, Carnival of Flowers (Toowoomba), Jondaryan Woolshed, Bunya Mountains and Tenterfield / Stanthorpe. Any other events or places anyone would like to toss into the mix? How about dates - August or September?

ranvens
09-08-2011, 12:39pm
Rang the Woolshed Yesterday, its $13 adult entry. Kids under 5 are free and Kids 5-15 are $5 (I Think)

Forogt to mention, this is a Day pass kinda thing... Not camping etc.

richie4540
10-08-2011, 9:25pm
It sounds like there's a lot of interest in a meetup, which is awesome! :th3:

So far we have suggestions for Toowoomba, Carnival of Flowers (Toowoomba), Jondaryan Woolshed, Bunya Mountains and Tenterfield / Stanthorpe. Any other events or places anyone would like to toss into the mix? How about dates - August or September?

Becs, this is your thread so come up with a weekend and let us know, otheriwse how about this weekend?

regards Richard

ps if it happens i would share the drive out from brisbane, i live southside if someone needed a ride.

BecdS
17-08-2011, 8:53am
The Carnival of Flowers in Toowoomba starts on 16th September, with the parade on 17th. I'd like to suggest the parade day, or perhaps the following day (Sunday - might be fewer people around town). Anyone keen? I would have 3 extra seats in my car so I could help a few with travel.

Ian
17-08-2011, 7:40pm
put down as interested as it has been some time since being at a parade. the last time was Expo 88 in Brisbane. by the way Becds how did you go with your Abbey Festival photos? :food04::) ian(aka pappa smurf:costumed70:)

BecdS
17-08-2011, 9:17pm
by the way Becds how did you go with your Abbey Festival photos?

:umm:

Terrible :confused013:

Ian
17-08-2011, 10:56pm
:umm:

Terrible :confused013:

aaahhh well, better luck next year. :food04::) ian(aka pappa smurf:costumed70:)

BecdS
18-08-2011, 7:22am
aaahhh well, better luck next year. :food04::) ian(aka pappa smurf:costumed70:)