PDA

View Full Version : Novice question - Camera Flash Bracket?

Fredo
25-07-2011, 3:05pm
Okay so I have about 2 weeks to get myself up to speed with shooting with flash.
(Daughters' year 12 Formal is coming so pressure is on)

I have just ordered a Nikon SB-700 for the D300 but should I also be looking for a camera bracket?

Any suggestions as to type that will help me?

Fred

I @ M
25-07-2011, 6:30pm
Ideally Fred you want to get the flash off the camera by more than just a bracket length.
That will of course involve more expense with gear but what worries me more is the time frame that you have given yourself to learn a bit.

It is a little too short unless you can spend just about every waking moment of the day for about one week to be tutored by someone that knows a bit to get you up to speed on the basics.

Your location is going to determine the best way to achieve good results, if you are in a place with reasonably low white painted ( or flat cream ) ceilings you shoud be able to bounce the flash from the ceilings, if you are in a dark painted cavernous interior you won't have that option.

let us know a few more specifics in order to try to get you started down the right path. :)

kiwi
25-07-2011, 7:46pm
Are you doing set piece posed shots ? Or wandering around a venue etc makes a big difference

There are so many different ways to use flash on camera and off camera

Fredo
25-07-2011, 9:40pm
So you guys are not Jedi . . can't read my mind hey?

I'm thinking more 'Point and Shoot' Darren.
Can't buy umbrellas, stands, remote flahes etc.
It will be me, D300 and SB-700 and I have already warned people that they should not rely on me for any quality.

Its going to go something like this and I am only shooting my daughter, 'the Bloke'; and my In-laws.

3 venues:-
Here at home
- I have a spare room I can convert into a sort of studio affair.
- I'll need a back drop (suggestions as to type/colour?)
- Got two 200w floodlights form an old trade show display I have. I know I changed the tubes to 'Daylight'
- Might be able to rig up a home made soft boxx too.

Then its on to a house at Raby Bay for the pre-drinkies.
- Probably outside with waterways as background. Standard house lights.

Finally we'll end up at Sirromet Winery.
- Again we will be outside so there should be a bit of stonework and/or bushes as background.
- Might be flourescent lights too. I'll check that out.

Darey
25-07-2011, 11:24pm
Get on the Internet and go to the "You Tube site" Type in " Digital Photography 1 on 1 episode 43 " . I hope it helps you.

and good luck with your project I hope it goes well for you.

JM Tran
26-07-2011, 2:14am
get a bracket if you can, they are great for shots at formals or reception. I might be tempted to get one for wedding receptions in the near future too.

do you know what the advantages of using a flash bracket and extending the flash slightly above the camera does Fred?

kiwi
26-07-2011, 5:27am
I think you'll be able to achieve ok results bouncing. Get a diffuser if you can, stofen, fong etc, there are mini softbox options too (photo continental can help)

KISS I reckon

Off camera or bracket will be better, but for starting out full ettl, bouncing is a good start

Fredo
26-07-2011, 12:14pm
I think you'll be able to achieve ok results bouncing. Get a diffuser if you can, stofen, fong etc, there are mini softbox options too (photo continental can help)

KISS I reckon

Off camera or bracket will be better, but for starting out full ettl, bouncing is a good start

On ya - Thanks mate.

fillum
26-07-2011, 3:06pm
Get a diffuser if you can, stofen, fong etc, I think there's a Stofen-type diffuser included with the SB-700...

Cheers.

Geoff
29-07-2011, 8:51pm
Using a bracket has a couple of advantages.

It moves the flash a little further from the camera - helping reduce red-eye and adding a hint of directionality to the light.
It can retain the ETTL/iTTL you sound like you're looking for (rather than learning manual, off camera flash).
If you shoot in portrait orientation, the bracket can keep the light above the camera lens rather than to the side of it.

Bouncing can get lovely results and I'd probably look at a bracket and LightSphere styled combo for what you're after (I use a Stofen at the moment when bouncing, the LightSphere or equivalent is just a bit larger as a light source and intrigues me).

Another alternative are the collapsible Lumiquest (or similar) baby softboxes (I think kiwi mentioned these). More suited for directional lighting (i.e. you won't light a room with them the way you do bouncing...but that has pro's and cons too).

Good luck.

Fredo
01-08-2011, 6:30pm
Orininally posted by Fillum . . . . "I think there's a Stofen-type diffuser included with the SB-700"

You were absolutely right Phil . . . SB-700 arrived today complete with Stofen-type Diffuser, amber filter and green filter, detachable base, built-in bounce card and built-in diffuser.
Very noice . . .