Shared from post on Brisbane photography

Interesting

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJH9F7Hcluo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

kind regards

Tommo1965
24-07-2011, 7:55am
yes I saw this posted else where{ not AP}

damn good work from by the people that put it together...the coppers were spot on, where as the private security guards were very threatening and misinformed..Id say 99% of people would be put off by them....obviously the whole put of the video was to see how far it would escalate if/when photographers were accosted .

surely common sense would dictate that covert surveillance of a building prior to a planned attract would be inconspicuous rather than so in their { security} face

pity we live in such a world...but after the Norway bombing/massacre I prefer vigilance over apathy ..I grew up in a time of the IRA bombing my home town { london}..so the londoners have been very quick to suss out a dodgy bag or package for years...so being suspect of everything else is in the blood ;)

enVision
24-07-2011, 1:45pm
It's a very interesting video. Good work by the police though, it's good that it didn't escalate past the security.

I would imagine that common sense from both the photographer and the security would prevail. Often there's one without the other, or none at all which is a shame. Nonetheless, I would like to see a video like this in NSW. I think it would be very interesting.

Scotty72
28-07-2011, 7:11pm
So, let's make one. :D

graemelee
30-07-2011, 12:06am
Yes I agree one should be made in Aussie cities.

Scotty72
30-07-2011, 10:13am
About a 2 years ago, a group of us toyed with the idea of a flash (paparazzi) mob: a group of us roam the street and randomly start acting as paparazzi to random passers by (just for a few seconds to avoid harassing)... but, it new took off :(

mechawombat
01-08-2011, 3:12pm
About a 2 years ago, a group of us toyed with the idea of a flash (paparazzi) mob: a group of us roam the street and randomly start acting as paparazzi to random passers by (just for a few seconds to avoid harassing)... but, it new took off :(

LOL I would love to see that :th3:

rellik666
01-08-2011, 3:42pm
This is not new to the UK, but it seems the police have finally been educated. It used to be a bit different.

I would like to see what would happen here, however I don't think there is the same level of "stupidity" here. I can't say I have ever been stopped from taking photos, I have had the odd security guard watch me, but never stop me from doing anything. :th3:

(touches wood)

enVision
01-08-2011, 8:27pm
That's because there's too much insurance and litigation in relation to security guards taking any kind of action at all.

They are told that when they see something, to call the police and wait for them to arrive.

Scotty72
01-08-2011, 9:28pm
That's because there's too much insurance and litigation in relation to security guards taking any kind of action at all.

They are told that when they see something, to call the police and wait for them to arrive.

But, any cop, who is not a complete fool, should simply ask politely what you are up to: a polite, "I'm taking photos" should suffice as an answer.

Providing you are on public property; not harassing / stalking anybody; not commiting a crime or; defying a court order. (esp not all at once):th3:

enVision
02-08-2011, 12:54pm
That's right, and I'm sure you'll find most cops out there would be like that.

The point that I was making is solely aimed at security guards.

Scotty72
02-08-2011, 3:56pm
Well, in that case you have the option of totally ignoring them :)

achee
04-08-2011, 5:33pm
Wow, that was an interesting video... 6/6 photographers were approached, 3/6 involved the police!

Well done to them. It is true that many people think you are not allowed to photograph private property or individuals (especially kids) without their permission.

It would be interesting to see how a similar stunt would go down in Australia. Try that one on a popular beach! ;)

Scotty72
04-08-2011, 6:36pm
Wow, that was an interesting video... 6/6 photographers were approached, 3/6 involved the police!

Well done to them. It is true that many people think you are not allowed to photograph private property or individuals (especially kids) without their permission.

It would be interesting to see how a similar stunt would go down in Australia. Try that one on a popular beach! ;)

My feeling is that it would be a non-event, to be honest.

If a paparazzi stunt was tried (targeting people) no doubt, people may get upset but, standing on a path and photographing a nearby building (assuming it isn't a private home (upsetting a private citizen) or military facility) just wouldn't get the paranoid reaction they got in London.