PDA

View Full Version : Begginers what have you learnt so far

Nikkie
23-07-2011, 5:50am
I thought I would make this post for Beginners who are learning to talk about what they have learnt so far either from the forum books videos or where ever how ever you learnt it. And we can all learn from each other for intermediate and advance or professionals if you could also come by and tell us what you have learnt as well as I am sure with photography its like anything else you never stop learning something new IE: a new way of doing something a new tip or technique you may have not thought of doing share with us.

(A quick message to Mods) if this is in the wrong place or not allowed please just move or remove it.

I have learnt that putting all your fstops ISOs and shutter speed together just the right amount is more important than I ever thought it would

ricktas
23-07-2011, 7:49am
Good to see you are learning about the exposure triangle Sandy (the relationship between ISO, shutter speed and aperture).

After that, I reckon the best thing I have learnt and developed for myself, is having an eye for composition. A well composed photo is the next best thing after a well exposed one. Learning about composition rules (guides) is very worthwhile, and a photo that is both well exposed and well composed, is a winner.

mudman
23-07-2011, 9:05am
i am learning what i don't know, which is heaps

drako4
23-07-2011, 9:08am
Hello,

The most important thing I feel I have learned thus far is how to use my histogram. I have been able to stay in Manual mode for some time now. Using the histogram has also helped me learn a bit more about the different shutter speeds and when to lower/increase them. It's been a great feeling knowing that I will never use the AUTO mode again:)

Cheers,
Carrie

Scotty72
23-07-2011, 4:21pm
The first thing I learnt was the exposure triangle and, that there is NO ideal exposure

The second, and most important, things was... this is a bloody expensive hobby :(

Nikkie
23-07-2011, 6:25pm
Oh yes Carrie the histogram I have just starting to learn that but I don't take it as face value yet mostly because I feel there is more to it then I just nice mountains in the center but one thing in every thing I have read say's the same thing if its pushed over to the left its under exposed if its pushed to the right its over exposed I have also read that if the histogram is mostly to the center its right but also get CC saying that its not right there is something wrong :eek: so even though I look at the histogram I was not going to I think I even said that in a post some place but It still gives me a bit of an idea but that is why CC is so important to me as I am not 100% sure if the histogram is 100% right all of the time so still trying to learn it and understand it.

Yes Mudman so much to learn and I don't thing you can stop learning as there is always new gear and new ideas about to keep us all going

Yes Scotty you got that right my saving's account loves - hates me :lol:

keep coming back and share information and gain information about what you have learnt even if it seems like a basic thing I get excited when I either read hear or see something that has that oh factor

ricktas
23-07-2011, 7:15pm
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/understanding-histograms.shtml : probably the easiest to understand article on histograms. Well worth the read

Nikkie
23-07-2011, 7:50pm
Thanks Rick I have booked marked it for now time to get of computer to watch a little telly and snuggle :th3:

juanny
24-07-2011, 2:23pm
Agree with all the above. Well i am a newbie to this website but in the few short months I have learnt that I shouldn't be afraid of using the manual functions. I have been amazed at what I have learnt from this website and that is just from lots of reading and praticing. But still have a long way to go. Also I get so inspired seeing the wonderful and creative photos that other members come up which has inspired me to try out different techniques. If only I had more time. :)

Nikkie
24-07-2011, 2:35pm
Yes juanny I had no idea what was involved I also had no idea how much fun it would be well I guess I new it would be fun because I always loved taking photos but getting my DSLR was either going to be a nightmare or a dream come true I love learning I take little baby steps because I almost gave up because I was trying to learn to much at a time right now for me I am learning to understand more about fstops and ISO numbers and putting that together then I ll worry about getting the right speed putting all them together but I love it its a passion of mine and been out of action right now is almost a crime within it self but always come back often and share with us each time you learn something new I am also hoping that from time to time somebody that has more knowledge then me can drop by and not only share with us but help us and making sure we are getting the right information its too easy to pick up wrong information and having it corrected will also be a benefit to us. Keep us updated what you have learnt you may not learn something new everyday but from time to time you will and so will I happy snapping :th3:

98kellrs
24-07-2011, 3:20pm
I've learnt that being polite and respectful to others will often result in more photographic opportunities, and that sometimes putting the camera down and taking the time to talk to the people around you will greatly enhance your understanding of the subject, and ultimately improve the quality of your images much more than going in 'gung-ho' with tunnel vision. :)

Yules
24-07-2011, 3:57pm
I have learnt that there aren't enough hours in the day! I have learned a lot (a course mostly).... And sitting on the laptop and reading info on photography is a time consuming process which my kids don't appreciate!!! I've learned that you can have so much control with how you get your camera to see what you see..... You have to put everything together....think, but not over think.... And most of all just enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - I wonder what the kids are up to....Better go!

AnzacPride
24-07-2011, 4:16pm
I have learned that I have OCD when it comes to photography, My other hobbies and family have all become photographic opportunities.
At the moment im messing around with white balance, and trying hard to find the best settings to get the most of my kit lenses while I save for an upgrade.
I have learnt bucket loads from the wonderful folks here, and I have just found a very useful ebook The Digital Workflow Handbook by Juergen Gulbins, Uwe Steinmueller, which I'm finding to be a great help for all my PP work

Cheers Dan

Nikkie
24-07-2011, 4:54pm
I've learnt that being polite and respectful to others will often result in more photographic opportunities, and that sometimes putting the camera down and taking the time to talk to the people around you will greatly enhance your understanding of the subject, and ultimately improve the quality of your images much more than going in 'gung-ho' with tunnel vision. :) Ryan this is really good lesson you have learnt as its way to easy to get caught up with just snappy happy away and not take the time to talk or maybe in my case look as I am not into taking photos of peeps right now but love landscapes farms and nature so for me this I will take it as sit back take in the scenery see it all that is around to take the time to walk around with my eyes open this is a very good lesson you have learnt and now have shared with us this is not something that I expected from making this post but its great no its wonderful its something we all should hear and thank you for sharing what a great and important piece of information you have shared and just goes to show us that photography is not all about f/stops shutter speeds and ISO carry this information for ever I know I will thanks again :th3: :th3: :th3:

I have learnt that there aren't enough hours in the day! I have learned a lot (a course mostly).... And sitting on the laptop and reading info on photography is a time consuming process which my kids don't appreciate!!! I've learned that you can have so much control with how you get your camera to see what you see..... You have to put everything together....think, but not over think.... And most of all just enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - I wonder what the kids are up to....Better go! This is so true I congratulate you, you have a young family by the sounds of things that is part of my reason why I ended up waiting so much longer then I had hoped to now my children are grown up and moved on with there life's its time for me to move on with mine as well. although I complain a tad of not been able to afford the gear in my early 20s when the passion first hit me to not doing it after I had a family I praise you and people like you for raising kids and taking some time for yourself :) I know as a mother of 5 how hard it would have been for me good for you and thank you for adding your information of what you have learnt

I have learned that I have OCD when it comes to photography, My other hobbies and family have all become photographic opportunities.
At the moment im messing around with white balance, and trying hard to find the best settings to get the most of my kit lenses while I save for an upgrade.
I have learnt bucket loads from the wonderful folks here, and I have just found a very useful ebook The Digital Workflow Handbook by Juergen Gulbins, Uwe Steinmueller, which I'm finding to be a great help for all my PP work

Cheers Dan Hello Dan I will adventure into the world of white balance and yes learning the pp is important and once when you learn it you will surprise your self how much things have chanced for you. I my self have been playing with pp work for years now but it was more the manipulation side of things it now has become so much important to me learning to do it right and get it right and learning is always great.

we are here to learn and yes the people in AP are a great lot very helpful and so kind information comes from all over but to have so much in the one spot its a gift to treasure that is for sure. keep coming back and reading what others have learnt sharing the information that you have will also help others I can only hope that the help I have received will one day mean that I can help somebody that is new to photography in return but that is a long time away for me yet but it will come when somebody just like us will want to know something and we will be able to be part of helping them out.

Binndii
24-07-2011, 5:06pm
Thanks all! really informative!

kiwi
24-07-2011, 5:12pm
That you never stop learning

Nikkie
24-07-2011, 5:45pm
That you never stop learning good to hear from you and I was hoping you would say that :)

kiwi
24-07-2011, 5:48pm
It's true, never go a day without learning something about photography, which is just as well, as forget something a day too

Nikkie
24-07-2011, 6:00pm
It's true, never go a day without learning something about photography, which is just as well, as forget something a day too I like the way you think and I like this I was hoping somebody would say that as I did not want to get as good as you to find out there was nothing more to learn :th3:

colinbm
24-07-2011, 6:25pm
I have had a wonderful time here on AP & elsewhere, Learning & meeting other togs & sharing experiences.
Six months ago I had not much knowledge about photography (some will say I still don't) except to point & shoot & hope. Now I dial, point & shoot & cry :lol:
No, seriously the most benefit I have got here is learning the lingo of photography. It was such a foreign language a few months ago & I still have a long way to go yet, but learning the lingo & what it all means & relates to everything else has been a battle for me. I am coming to terms with the cam & now struggling to learn the lingo of PP but I am slowly getting there.
I have had some wonderful help here & other sites & have some wonderful 'friends' here & overseas. The net is such a wonderful tool & community. All the help & encouragement from all corners of the globe, that you could not get from sitting on a park bench or in a library. Chatting & sharing your niche genre with a one in a billion person somewhere out there is just fantastic :th3:
Yes, thanks for all your helps, even reading the posts anonymously has been a education & picking up the lingo & getting a feel for the comfort zone of what & where I am in photography. Yes I have forgotten a lot but learnt heaps & relearning again. Good excuse to get out of bed in the morning, even if not too early, but then someone has to be on watch late when all is quiet :rolleyes:
Thanks gang ;)
Col

Nikkie
24-07-2011, 7:44pm
I have had a wonderful time here on AP & elsewhere, Learning & meeting other togs & sharing experiences.
Six months ago I had not much knowledge about photography (some will say I still don't) except to point & shoot & hope. Now I dial, point & shoot & cry :lol:
No, seriously the most benefit I have got here is learning the lingo of photography. It was such a foreign language a few months ago & I still have a long way to go yet, but learning the lingo & what it all means & relates to everything else has been a battle for me. I am coming to terms with the cam & now struggling to learn the lingo of PP but I am slowly getting there.
I have had some wonderful help here & other sites & have some wonderful 'friends' here & overseas. The net is such a wonderful tool & community. All the help & encouragement from all corners of the globe, that you could not get from sitting on a park bench or in a library. Chatting & sharing your niche genre with a one in a billion person somewhere out there is just fantastic :th3:
Yes, thanks for all your helps, even reading the posts anonymously has been a education & picking up the lingo & getting a feel for the comfort zone of what & where I am in photography. Yes I have forgotten a lot but learnt heaps & relearning again. Good excuse to get out of bed in the morning, even if not too early, but then someone has to be on watch late when all is quiet :rolleyes:
Thanks gang ;)
Col
Yes Ive only had my very first DSLR or any SLR cam for about 2 months now. I thought I would never learn to use it let alone get out of auto even though I felt I was not ready I am so very grateful as you are Col for the people here that have helped me put up with me post after post yet another not so good photo. I did not know anything at all but soon learnt and still learning the only sad thing for me is the timing of my operation on my arm as it was only the day before the ohhhh factor hit me well if only with f/stops and ISO still need to learn the shutter speed and when to put what together but also I was just learning how to manually focus my lens I have picked up my camera a couple of times and as my arm is still healing its still only for a short time but I will be back into the swing of things soon back to the very kind and patient people who will CC me. I think what you said Col has wrapped it all up keep learning keep post keep getting that CC as you learn come back and share with us and have a read what others have learnt I am hoping this post will be a benefit for many and one day I hope I can return the what I have learnt to another newbie looking for answers to things that want to know. Thanks for you reply and for taking the time to read and post

cfm
25-07-2011, 12:53pm
Learning some of the lingo has been good.
Learning about ND filters will be useful when I get around to buying some.

My biggest learn is "have your camera handy". I seem to miss so many good opportunities when the DSLR is at home rather than with me when driving about.

darrenmars
25-07-2011, 4:05pm
I've learned that the camera and lens don't matter as much as many make them out to (especially salespeople!!!) - photography is more about light and your ability to capture it with the tools you choose to use.

There's a video somewhere of a photographer using the iPhone and some good lighting for a fashion shoot... UH-HUH! here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOoGjtSy7xY the article is on FStoppers to (unless it's been archived already)

Nikkie
25-07-2011, 6:23pm
Learning some of the lingo has been good.
Learning about ND filters will be useful when I get around to buying some. yes the lingo has been a big thing I thing about it in my own mind all the time as if im in a conversation with somebody I pretend somebody has asked me something that I have learnt and find myself telling them in the using the lingo :lol: that Ive learnt and also I do want to get a ND and learn more about them thank you keep coming back as you learn and share your information with us and pick up some new stuff while your at it

My biggest learn is "have your camera handy". I seem to miss so many good opportunities when the DSLR is at home rather than with me when driving about.

I've learned that the camera and lens don't matter as much as many make them out to (especially salespeople!!!) - photography is more about light and your ability to capture it with the tools you choose to use.

There's a video somewhere of a photographer using the iPhone and some good lighting for a fashion shoot... UH-HUH! here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOoGjtSy7xY the article is on FStoppers to (unless it's been archived already) I will be back later or tomorrow and take a look at that vid you left for us to see. Somebody made a post not long ago asking how much of photography was natural born talent how much was it from doing a course and how much of it was luck and how much was it equipment. This got me thinking as I quiet often put a lot of things into perspective using cars or driving that is what I did with this post. When I first got my learners I could not find anybody that wanted to teach me could not afford a driving school even tho it was only $5.00 an hour by memory but not for the duration that I would need that was 3 months in those days. I by chance met a man on the CB radio that was some years older then I was and we became great friends he offered to teach me to drive that was luck been at the right place at the right time. learning he was a very good driver and did not only teach me to drive a car but taught me how to change a tyre replace a batter change my oil spark plugs he also put me into some pretty scary driving situations how to drive in thick fog how to drive on a dirt road how to control a car if it starts to aqua plane this is skill or in the case of doing a course learnt then there is equipment if you a car that is in good nick and the better the car the safer you will be same with your camera gear the things that you buy to help you with your photography this things have to help if you have a car with bald tyres your more likely to skid out of control if you have the right gear you wont. I know this seems like a silly way of putting it into perspective but for me its not and that is how I came about its not all about the gear a lot of things have to come into play to be a photographer I also think if you have passion and passion enough you will learn and learn to do it well I had a lot of passion about wanting to drive and wanting to learn to do it well I did just that in the end but all the other things came into play. Thank you for you post and keep coming back to learn and to teach us what you have learnt as well we can all learn together

Nikkie
25-07-2011, 6:29pm
Today was such a nice sunny day I took myself my camera and my photography magazine out the front I always take my camera with me because you never know what you may miss out on taking photos of you never know what is going to happen. But today I learnt how to manual focus I got it every time I tried did not just happen to get it like I was before so this is something that came from practicing and having patients to teach myself how to do it :) now I need to keep practicing and practicing but its a start :)

Grumby
25-07-2011, 11:18pm
I've learned how little I know, and how this hobby is likely to keep me learning for the rest of my days. At the moment, I'm learning to look at things with a new perspective and finding photo opportunities in some unlikely places.

Robbo7D
25-07-2011, 11:58pm
Yes juanny I had no idea what was involved I also had no idea how much fun it would be well I guess I new it would be fun because I always loved taking photos but getting my DSLR was either going to be a nightmare or a dream come true I love learning I take little baby steps because I almost gave up because I was trying to learn to much at a time right now for me I am learning to understand more about fstops and ISO numbers and putting that together then I ll worry about getting the right speed putting all them together but I love it its a passion of mine and been out of action right now is almost a crime within it self but always come back often and share with us each time you learn something new I am also hoping that from time to time somebody that has more knowledge then me can drop by and not only share with us but help us and making sure we are getting the right information its too easy to pick up wrong information and having it corrected will also be a benefit to us. Keep us updated what you have learnt you may not learn something new everyday but from time to time you will and so will I happy snapping :th3:

Nikkie, I have learnt that when I read your posts I have to take a huge breath!! :D Love your posts and can see the vast improvement in your shots since joining. Keep it going.......I'm learning an extraordinary amount.

Nikkie
26-07-2011, 7:03am
I've learned how little I know, and how this hobby is likely to keep me learning for the rest of my days. At the moment, I'm learning to look at things with a new perspective and finding photo opportunities in some unlikely places. hello Grumpy yes there is so much to learn I can't belive how much I see now since having my camera there is so much photo opportuties out there you just have to see them keep coming back and telling us what you have learnt and see what others are learning as well thanks for you post

Nikkie, I have learnt that when I read your posts I have to take a huge breath!! :D Love your posts and can see the vast improvement in your shots since joining. Keep it going.......I'm learning an extraordinary amount. Thank you for your comment Robbo I still have a long way to go and even further then I think right now. But I can hardly wait until I can start taking photos again :th3:

Wirginia
26-07-2011, 5:20pm
I've learnt to not be worried about moving my dials off full auto, something that has taken me since August 2010 to do! I've also learnt that there's no such thing as a bad photo coz you learn from all the booboohs you make and I make heaps. I'm just waiting for photos to upload at photobucket and then you can see just how much I don't know about using my camera, he he he :rolleyes:

Now where to put the links on here..................

Nikkie
26-07-2011, 5:50pm
I've learnt to not be worried about moving my dials off full auto, something that has taken me since August 2010 to do! I've also learnt that there's no such thing as a bad photo coz you learn from all the booboohs you make and I make heaps. I'm just waiting for photos to upload at photobucket and then you can see just how much I don't know about using my camera, he he he :rolleyes:

Now where to put the links on here.................. I don't know where you put your links on here hope you find them. I felt pushed about coming off auto I had only had my camera for less then a week and at another forum they started to get real mean and nasty there was no need for it, it was almost like manual snobbery I was so much happier when I found AP I did give them the flick by the way but now I am in manual I am happy still don't have good photos but slowly improving I think and no nastiness about it here that is for sure. Thanks for sharing us what you have learnt and keep coming back you might learn from others and tell us what you are learning.

Nikkie
26-07-2011, 5:59pm
I learnt today that my tiny little photo shop can do post processing I explained that I had a great candid shot of my partner but I used the wrong shutter speed and from what the wonderful people here told it was blurry he knows I am only learning so it wont be embarrassing to take them to him He told me if I can give a one raw and one Jpeg he would have a look at it for me I hope he can fix it as getting another photo like will be a fluke not that I fluked it in the first place I had a vision in my head and went out to try to get it but forgot to cheek my shutter speed what a drip but that is what learning is all about I told him I would love to have this photo up on my wall so next time I go into town ill take it to him fingers crossed he can fix it to a printable frameable photo. any way if you want to have a look you will find it here.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?88190-Give-him-the-Chop

kiwi
26-07-2011, 6:15pm
In my experience you can't really fix a blurry shot, you can fudge about sharpening and even make the main subject look sharper by making the rest if the photo blurry

He's your partner, I think re owes you a reshoot.

draco
26-07-2011, 6:53pm
It's true, never go a day without learning something about photography, which is just as well, as forget something a day too

ahhh so true. unfortunately I learned the hard way, I have been inactive for a very long time and I feel like that I have forgotten everything I learned from this site. Hopefully I will have time now to get back into this fulfilling, frustrating, expensive hobby and start all over again.(That is if this post reinstates my account.):)

Mark L
26-07-2011, 9:50pm
I'm having problems with PP. Had a DSLR for two weeks now. Started be ignoring auto mode and saving in raw.
Today I read two things on AP that were useful:-Rick explaining the benefits of raw (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Tutorials:RAW_:_Starting_to_process_RAW_files)
and an explanation of whitebalance by arthurking83 that's absolutely made my day http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?23501-Whitebalance-and-the-1-reason-to-use-RAW

Nikkie
27-07-2011, 6:17am
In my experience you can't really fix a blurry shot, you can fudge about sharpening and even make the main subject look sharper by making the rest if the photo blurry

He's your partner, I think re owes you a reshoot.n Darren I would love to try again he don't see the photo as I do or any photos of himself he seems happy for the odd snap shot after he has a few beer but that is about it I really love this photo its what I had hoped for except this is a big lesson learnt for me to learn shutter speeds the chance of getting another shot in the same way is not impossible but I can only do it Candid style as he is one of those people when working he likes to be left alone I will try again the next time he gets out the AXE but if I can't at least the photographer at the shop will at least have a look and see if it can be saved or not

ahhh so true. unfortunately I learned the hard way, I have been inactive for a very long time and I feel like that I have forgotten everything I learned from this site. Hopefully I will have time now to get back into this fulfilling, frustrating, expensive hobby and start all over again.(That is if this post reinstates my account.):) Welcome back and lets hope that this post will reinstate your account

I'm having problems with PP. Had a DSLR for two weeks now. Started be ignoring auto mode and saving in raw.
Today I read two things on AP that were useful:-Rick explaining the benefits of raw (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Tutorials:RAW_:_Starting_to_process_RAW_files)
and an explanation of whitebalance by arthurking83 that's absolutely made my day http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?23501-Whitebalance-and-the-1-reason-to-use-RAW Yes I do both RAW NEF plus Jpeg yes it means a lot of large files but if one is so bad at least you can still try with the raw file I never take my camera off RAW NEF Jpeg

ricktas
27-07-2011, 6:46am
Regarding people not liking their own photos, think about this.

When we see ourselves, we do so in a mirror, most of the time. Thus we have a reversed view of how we look, to what other people see. Next time you take a photo of someone they do not like, horizontally flip it, in your editing software, and ask them again if they like the photo. You might be surprised at the answer.

AnzacPride
27-07-2011, 8:02am

When we see ourselves, we do so in a mirror, most of the time. Thus we have a reversed view of how we look, to what other people see. Next time you take a photo of someone they do not like, horizontally flip it, in your editing software, and ask them again if they like the photo. You might be surprised at the answer.

wow Rick
Ive never thought about this, Makes perfects sense!!

Nikkie
27-07-2011, 9:42am

When we see ourselves, we do so in a mirror, most of the time. Thus we have a reversed view of how we look, to what other people see. Next time you take a photo of someone they do not like, horizontally flip it, in your editing software, and ask them again if they like the photo. You might be surprised at the answer. I never given this a thought either but it makes perfect sense thanks for the tip Rick :th3:

cfm
27-07-2011, 10:22am
Yes, I do find this forum very good, most people are very helpful and positive.

Colplay
27-07-2011, 11:56am
I have learnt the funniest thing actually! I've just returned to AP after a brief hiatus thinking I had mastered the exposure triangle (that's a work in progress). So I started reading the learning plan, starting with "how to hold your camera" which I'll admit I nearly didn't read. Read it, disregarded it as I cannot hold the camera with both hands. Well I kind of am to disguise the fact one of hands is busy covering my left eye :D It's true! I cannot wink ;) So my left pointer finger, for as long as I can remember, holds my left eyelid closed while my other pointer finger gets busy with the shutter (I am laughing so much right now). Anyway, read on. I read the next chapter: Use both eyes! Woah nelly! I have been holding a camera of some sort since I was 12 years old so we're talking about banishing 20+ years of "technique" here :) I can't tell you how relieved I am to have read this and to be honest I can't believe I never thought of it myself! So here I am, eyes wide open, taking photos. That is what I have learnt....so far....thank you :)

Nikkie
27-07-2011, 12:26pm
I have learnt the funniest thing actually! I've just returned to AP after a brief hiatus thinking I had mastered the exposure triangle (that's a work in progress). So I started reading the learning plan, starting with "how to hold your camera" which I'll admit I nearly didn't read. Read it, disregarded it as I cannot hold the camera with both hands. Well I kind of am to disguise the fact one of hands is busy covering my left eye :D It's true! I cannot wink ;) So my left pointer finger, for as long as I can remember, holds my left eyelid closed while my other pointer finger gets busy with the shutter (I am laughing so much right now). Anyway, read on. I read the next chapter: Use both eyes! Woah nelly! I have been holding a camera of some sort since I was 12 years old so we're talking about banishing 20+ years of "technique" here :) I can't tell you how relieved I am to have read this and to be honest I can't believe I never thought of it myself! So here I am, eyes wide open, taking photos. That is what I have learnt....so far....thank you :) Hello Coldplay and welcome back to AP. Hey what you learnt is great I can only wink ;) with my left eye never been able to wink with the right eye so I use my right eye did not even pay any attetention to it until I read your post because its naturl to me I use my right eye in the view finder and close my left eye that is the only way I can do so thank you so much for sharing this information with us. :th3:

Nikkie
27-07-2011, 1:00pm
Well I learnt 3 things today and if somebody knows for sure please cheek that this information is right. And its sort of funny that I learnt one of the things I asked in Ricks post Beginners what do you want to learn something like that its called. :o anyway I asked there about shutter speed more of a rule to thump. So later after making that post and having some lunch I decided to watch the video I broaught on Ebay the compleate SLR Digital photography course (this is not a plug) anyway Just started to watch one of the things the man was talking about was rule of thirds I thought here we go again rule of thirds I have read in books photography mags so on about the rule of thirds or don't forget the rule of thirds but none have explained what it is Im like how can I forget if I don't know what it is and you wont tell me :eek: but upon saying all of that I must say I am the type of person that its the way something is explained to me that makes the penny drop. Or like watching a video and seeing a demo of it so in all fairness they may have been saying what it was any way penny dropped for those of you that don't know what the rule of thirds are ill try and explain it to you the best I can at the end of me gabbling on. Also I what I learnt from the same video was shutter speed and the man on the video was saying general rule to thumb you should use a shutter speed of the length of the lens so if your using a 50mm lens its best to shoot above 1/50 the man did say this is general rule to thumb. The next thing I learnt today was other way's was how to avoid camera shake lets face it we may not all have a tripod and or may not have it with you when a photo opportunity comes along he said you can use a tree you can lean against the tree and putting your camera also against a tree and it hold it security just another way I have seen people say you can use just about anything a rock or even car roof or bonnet or a fence post also he showed how to use a bean bag as well so there are a lot of ways you just have to think about it. Now Ill try and explain the rule of thirds for those that don't know. What you do is draw imaginary lines in your viewfinder sort of like naughts and crosses the rule of thirds is where you focus on I am not doing so good at this I have it in my head but having trouble explaining maybe somebody will come along and explain this well thats me that is what Ive learnt Thank you for reading my gabble :th3:

pfunston
27-07-2011, 1:29pm
I've learnt that it's not as difficult as I thought to play with the manual settings...so I'm only just starting to understand aperture, shutter speed and ISO. So I'm looking forward to having a really good understanding of these and then exploring the rest of my camera.

I also dont have a tripod yet and this will be my Xmas present this year, any suggestions are welcome...I have no idea what I need. I saw an example in a magazine where you slow down the shutter speed to capture the flowing water like fog. I didn't have a tripod so it was slightly blurred but I was so excited to see that I could do this...I'm also still new to camera terminology so hopefully what I've written makes sense.

It also makes me feel more relaxed to know that there are people on here who are also new to manual settings and camera terminology.

Nikkie
28-07-2011, 6:06am
I've learnt that it's not as difficult as I thought to play with the manual settings...so I'm only just starting to understand aperture, shutter speed and ISO. So I'm looking forward to having a really good understanding of these and then exploring the rest of my camera.

I also dont have a tripod yet and this will be my Xmas present this year, any suggestions are welcome...I have no idea what I need. I saw an example in a magazine where you slow down the shutter speed to capture the flowing water like fog. I didn't have a tripod so it was slightly blurred but I was so excited to see that I could do this...I'm also still new to camera terminology so hopefully what I've written makes sense.

It also makes me feel more relaxed to know that there are people on here who are also new to manual settings and camera terminology. One thing I did not know when I went to buy my tripod it really depends on what type of photography you want to do IE: if you want to take photos of low down subjects like flowers or insects then you will need one that can go right down low and be prepared to get down and dirty :lol: if you want to do landscapes you will need something that has good stability all though that is important any way don't skimp on the tripod what ever you do get one with a sprite level and one that also has a mono pod make sure you get one with a carry bag as well. When I went to my local shop to buy mine I did not have a clue and that could have meant giving the sales assistant a selling edge but I was lucky he asked questions like what type of photography will I be doing with it he showed me a few the first was did not have much height to it and was very flimsy even on his solid floor in the shop. Get one that can hold your gear take in your camera and your heaviest lens and think about how much weight it can hold do your research google is always a good place to start don't be sucked in by the sales person remember they are there to sell but a good sales person also is there to help you if they are not happy to let you try your camera on the tripod go someplace eles if you can. Also I am not sure if they all come with a mono pod mine does the only thing I don't like about mine is the head I think that is what its called no matter how tight I try to tighten it up the camera seems to want to move down so watch for this as well know your budget and stick to that and if you can save on that its good because having a little left will help go towards other gear later on

Nikkie
01-08-2011, 9:23am
I have learnt by applying to much noise remover it can make your photos look soft that is what Ive been finding

Doc Jones
12-08-2011, 5:27pm
The mind is the most amazing image processor - so one must learn to see things as they really are, especially light!

ozwapet
14-08-2011, 6:26pm
Well so far, I have learnt a couple of things.
1. Always shoot in RAW
2. NEVER delete a shot till you have played with it, at a good, quiet time and place. You might be amazed how it turns out.
3. Learn how to process RAW ( tone curves, sharpness etc )

and 4. nobody, even the most adored and professional photographers, will ever know it "all" ..

L3STAT
14-08-2011, 6:51pm
So far i have learnt the new method of layering multiple exposures (startrails) which I hope to become better at and a few tips for Macro shots. Love the site, so many wonderful images and buckets of knowledge :)