21-07-2011, 9:13am
Instant verification for sales under $30.00 has done nothing but
made the loss of our cards a big problem and I hope that my bank will
cover my losses if and when someone without my authority uses my card,
I think that it stinks
I have also heard that they are going to boost that amount to a $100.:eek:

agb
21-07-2011, 9:28am
I have to agree, far to easy for someone to use the card if they get hold of it. Very bad move I think, and lets hope the banks are going to cover the costs if there are losses.

kiwi
21-07-2011, 9:42am
if someone else fraudulently uses your card of course you are covered by the financial institution.

I think the convenience is a great thing

I say bravo, it also makes it HARDER for thieving pricks to get your PIN number which can really get ugly for you if you dont have to use it as often

If you thought banks checked all your signatures on cheques etc in the past you'd be badly mistaken, I know for a fact they didnt. I for years signed my cheques "donald duck" and it never got caught once.

ving
21-07-2011, 9:58am
what the flightless bird says is true. banks never seemed to worry that i kept changing my signature every time i went in. :th3:

havnt used this system yet tho.

dbax
21-07-2011, 10:03am
the best Idea re signatures on cards that I heard was to write "ask for photo ID" on the sign panel. No help now though, with the $30 verification limit.

Duane Pipe
21-07-2011, 10:15am
if someone else fraudulently uses your card of course you are covered by the financial institution.

I think the convenience is a great thing

I say bravo, it also makes it HARDER for thieving pricks to get your PIN number which can really get ugly for you if you dont have to use it as often

If you thought banks checked all your signatures on cheques etc in the past you'd be badly mistaken, I know for a fact they didnt. I for years signed my cheques "donald duck" and it never got caught once.

Donald Duck:lol::lol::lol:
I do agree that its a great convenience, the lines at the checkout should move faster, so that a good thing, sometimes I have put down my basket and walked out due to being impatient:D
It's good to know that the bank will cover losses Darren thanks.:th3:
How's this for a scenario, I perches something in a shop where the staff are not familiar with me and then report my card as lost or stolen I can then demand the bank to credit my account, well worth the inconvenience of applying for a new card if you ask me of especially if they bump it to $100:D

kiwi
21-07-2011, 11:29am
sure, then youre committing fraud and will go to jail - worth it ?

Duane Pipe
21-07-2011, 1:36pm
sure, then youre committing fraud and will go to jail - worth it ?
Only joking Darren,:D but many people would I recon

accesser
21-07-2011, 2:43pm
Do they have an opt out option if not they should

Duane Pipe
21-07-2011, 2:49pm

Not sure Jason I must look into that

accesser
21-07-2011, 3:56pm
Biometrics should be pushed more, I think at one stage they looked at fingerprint but then some people got worried about having that info recorded I think the days of PIN's should be numbered

old dog
21-07-2011, 5:02pm
the day is coming when everyone will be required to have some sort of electronic marker in their body. Like a micro chip I suppose. I hope that day never comes....

Scotty72
21-07-2011, 5:43pm
I don't want to have to register my fingerprint or DNA etc with Big Brother, thank you very much.

There was a time when people were scared of Orwell's Big Brother, now it seems people can't wait to invite him home.

kiwi
21-07-2011, 6:10pm
About time though that we had smart cards, friggin ridiculous having to lug around 2 kilos of plastic id cards, blue cards, medicare cards, drivers licenses etc etc etc

Scotty72
21-07-2011, 6:16pm
About time though that we had smart cards, friggin ridiculous having to lug around 2 kilos of plastic id cards, blue cards, medicare cards, drivers licenses etc etc etc

Do you really want 1 card that holds your bank, drivers' licence & health info. Do you really want the transport dept being able to peek at you bank account or, an insurance company being able to look through your medical records?

Not me. Keep them separate please.

Scotty

Duane Pipe
21-07-2011, 6:29pm
Im with Scotty. No way to DNA :th3:but a smart card is a great replacement for a wallet packed fall of cards, but what if that card is damaged in some way:eek: that leaves us with no access to our daily activities

JM Tran
21-07-2011, 6:30pm
Do you really want 1 card that holds your bank, drivers' licence & health info. Do you really want the transport dept being able to peek at you bank account or, an insurance company being able to look through your medical records?

Scotty

Ahhhhhhhh no.

A smart card - ala Octopus Card in HK can be used in all 8 modes of public transports, at convenience stores, for regular payments for many services and even hotel bookings over there. Such a system is now being trialed in Canada. Its an 'add credit as you go' card. Who said anything about smart cards carrying your personal and private details.

as a frequent flyer, a smart card for me thanks.

Scotty72
21-07-2011, 6:32pm
Kiwi did

Scotty72
21-07-2011, 6:35pm
If it is opt in I'm for it.

Such as the octopus card - even if it held all of you info you chose to put on it such as credit to swipe and pay, club memberships, etc..

But, for cards we have little or no choice - such as medicare, licences... no

kiwi
21-07-2011, 6:36pm

Scotty

Gimme a break, that's alarmist nonsense that would occur

accesser
21-07-2011, 6:52pm
If such a card did come out I doubt it would carry any info ideally it would just be a unique ID that then serves as token to identify you to the info stored on the servers of your bank / transport / health system

kiwi
21-07-2011, 6:56pm
If such a card did come out I doubt it would carry any info ideally it would just be a unique ID that then serves as token to identify you to the info stored on the servers of your bank / transport / health system

More the pity, I'd like mine to store my medical records, be my passport, more the merrier.

I don't but in for one moment the paranoia about big brother blah blah blah.

The ATO now, call them big brother if it amuses you, already has pretty much unfettered access to all your financial records for example.

kiwi
21-07-2011, 7:02pm
If I could have all that on microchip embedded under my skin that'd even be better. Anything that saves me time and provided accurate information to someone that needs it about me (like a doctor) them I'm for it. With 7 billion people in the world not personally worried about the likelihood of intentional individual privacy breaches.

Duane Pipe
21-07-2011, 7:46pm
My wallet consists of three cards, Medicare, Bank and license, plus my trade tickets, that's all I need:)
I don't use public transport so no smart card needed
I don't travel over seas so no smart card needed
Sorry Guys but i still live in the past :o

Scotty72
21-07-2011, 7:49pm
Gee Kiwi,

I guess you've never been a victim of ID fraud.

I guess you wanna make that as easy as possible.

Scotty

Duane Pipe
21-07-2011, 7:51pm
Have you Scotty:eek:

Scotty72
21-07-2011, 7:53pm
Yea :(

kiwi
21-07-2011, 8:08pm
Explain in technical terms why it makes it easier for ID fraud when to release from a proper smart card relevant data individual unique security codes, questions, pin or assword for each piece of data may be required. There is no suggestion in any serious smart card program that say your bus driver who reads the card to bill you for a ticket also then has access to your medical data

It's a smartcard

Duane Pipe
21-07-2011, 8:09pm
Yea :(

Was that internet related Scotty

kiwi
21-07-2011, 8:11pm
By the way identify fraud was easier 100 years ago by a long shot.

Duane Pipe
21-07-2011, 8:12pm

:lol::lol: thats right Darren

Scotty72
21-07-2011, 8:13pm
It is not the bus driver I'm worried about.

Anyway, if you're happy to put all your eggs in one basket...

Scotty72
21-07-2011, 8:19pm

Sure. That is one of those out-there statements that is just too weird for words:th3:

kiwi
21-07-2011, 8:19pm
I do every time I take my kids in the car, sleep in the same house

I'm happy, simpler the safer in my opinion

All I ever heard in the great smart Card debates of 10-20 years ago was unfounded, unproven, unfair, utter nonsense.

kiwi
21-07-2011, 8:20pm
Sure. That is one of those out-there statements that is just too weird for words:th3:

Undoubtably true though.

Scotty72
21-07-2011, 8:22pm
All I ever heard in the great smart Card debates of 10-20 years ago was unfounded, unproven, unfair, utter nonsense.

That was the Australia Card. Completely separate to a smart card. It was just a piece of plastic.

No chips etc.

kiwi
21-07-2011, 8:23pm
It was here, overseas there were different more encompassing proposals

ricktas
21-07-2011, 8:26pm

Of course you can, I refuse to use the instant verification.

kiwi
21-07-2011, 8:28pm
May I ask why ?

ricktas
21-07-2011, 8:31pm
May I ask why ?

Cause I worked in a bank for 14 years and I will not trust them to refund my money. At least if I do it with PIN etc, I can be reasonably sure I did the transaction. And the answer your previous question, any cheque under $10K is not checked to verify signature or other details. It is simply automatically processed and the only thing looked at is the amount.

Duane Pipe
21-07-2011, 8:33pm
Of course you can, I refuse to use the instant verification.
Thanks for clearing that up Rick, Now its my turn to hold up the Q :D

kiwi
21-07-2011, 8:37pm
I worked in a bank for 5 years :)

I tend to trust my suppliers until I have reason not to

Mark L
21-07-2011, 8:39pm
We use cash for anything under about $500.
If instant verification gets me through the check-out fast, I'm all for it.
On the other hand, around here we tend to smile and talk to each other if we have to stand in line.:confused013

Duane Pipe
21-07-2011, 9:00pm
Its hard enough now keeping track of transactions and balances with one card let alone combining them

Scotty72
21-07-2011, 11:21pm
When I was a first year uni student (way back when), I worked at the back office processing centre of one of the big 4. Part of my job was to process cheques. As I remember, I wasn't to even check anything under $2000 (so Rick's number of $10,000 in today's money makes sense).

I have also insisted to use a PIN at a Macca's drive through for the same reason as Rick - if I know what I did and didn't do - unless the bank can prove a PIN was entered then, it wasn't me. I don't want to get into the habit of swiping my credit card without having to at least think about it.

As for having 1 smart card for every aspect of my life. I have twice been the victim of card skimming so, I enjoy the fact I have several different cards (with small limits) with different PINs. I can't imagine if my entire life fell into the hands of a skimmer; much damage could be done.

In ye olden days, if someone wanted to rob you of your cards, they had to mug you - now they can do it via the net and you may not know you've been fleeced for weeks.

Scotty

Scotty72
21-07-2011, 11:28pm
Was that internet related Scotty

No, the police couldn't tell me that much but, it seems that a store clerk used some privileged info.

Fortunately, it seems s/he was an idiot and quickly got caught and confessed.

A similar thing happened to my wife - but this time, she swiped her Mastercard at a petrol station where a worker was in on a EFTPOS terminal switcheroo. Again, dumb criminal caught himself by using the new fake card at his own workplace (to put petrol in his own car).

So, imagine if one smart card accessed banks, health, licence info etc. and some smart criminal got that PIN. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Scotty