PDA

View Full Version : The Following User Says Thank You to adcdef For This Useful Post:

Tannin
20-07-2011, 2:19pm
Something to put on your list of site improvements - the text of the message:

The Following User Says Thank You to abcdefg For This Useful Post:

could sensibly be revised to read:

The following user says thankyou to abcdefg for this useful post:

This happens to be correct English, but the reason I suggest it is that, where the user being thanked has a lower-case username (as many do) his name is effectively smaller than the text surrounding it and gets lost. Also, it would look that tiny bit neater and less cluttered. I recommend placing this change in position no #123,327 on your to-do list.

Xenedis
20-07-2011, 2:32pm
I Have Seen The Posts From A User On Another Forum, And He Capitalises The First Letter Of Every Single Word.

It's Very Annoying.

And a Long time Ago, a former Boss of Mine would capitalise the First letter of apparently Random words in his Sentences. I never Understood that either.

lay-z
20-07-2011, 2:40pm
From my understanding, first letters of every word is capitalised when you have capslock on with the subsequent letters changed to lowercase

Edit: Not apparently so on this forum :lol:

jim
20-07-2011, 2:48pm
thank you.

jim.

ameerat42
20-07-2011, 3:25pm
The following user says thank you to Tannin for this useful post:
Am.

(And while we're at it a redundant ''''' stripper would be good. Thanks.)

Xenedis
20-07-2011, 3:31pm
(And while we're at it a redundant ''''' stripper would be good. Thanks.)

What do you mean?

Allie
20-07-2011, 3:51pm
What do you mean?

I think ameerat means that the thankyou part could also have a "" around it ie The following user says "thankyou" to abcdefg for this useful post:

Anyway, OT, could you please tell me how adding that message to a post is done? I can't find how to do it:o - thanks.

Tannin
20-07-2011, 4:14pm
Bottom left corner of the post, Allie. like this .......

Oh! You weren't watching!

Xenedis
20-07-2011, 4:21pm
I think ameerat means that the thankyou part could also have a "" around it ie The following user says "thankyou" to abcdefg for this useful post:

Unless something has very recently changed, the "Thank You" is not enclosed in quotation marks.

lay-z
20-07-2011, 4:35pm
To be even more picky, it's "thank you" not "thankyou" :p

Tannin
20-07-2011, 4:40pm
^ Only in American spelling checkers. "Thankyou" (one word) is perfectly acceptable - indeed to be preferred - in Australian English, whatever the Yanks may think of it.

Kym
20-07-2011, 5:07pm
The plugin was written by an American. :cool: We got it for free so we are thankful aren't we?

I changed the phrasing :th3:

Xenedis
20-07-2011, 5:37pm
The plugin was written by an American.

They really should teach English over there, eh?

I changed the phrasing

That Is Much Better.

ameerat42
20-07-2011, 5:39pm
What do you mean?

Sorry for the confusion, Xenedis. Just piggy-backing on Tannin's (<- good apostrophe) suggestion, I was dreaming about something that would get rid of the use of redundant apostrophes. (Example: *apostrophe's*)

Am.

Scotty72
20-07-2011, 5:44pm
Whao!!!!!!

Hang on!

Thank you is one word? In which alternate universe is that?

"Thank" is a verb
"You" in a (pro) noun

So, if you combine them to, "Thankyou", is the result an intransitive verb?

Eg
I thankyou.

But, it can't be intransitive because "Thankyou" implies an object for the verb (YOU)

Equally, you can't get around that problem by adding the missing object because it becomes doubly-redundant.
Eg. "I thankyou, Steve" doesn't make sense because 'you' and 'Steve' are both the same object.

The best you could do would be to say, "Steve, I thank you." but, never, "Steve, I thankyou.", because we are back to the intransive verb problem...

SO! 'thank you' is NEVER, EVER one word.

I don't care what an Aussie dictionary says - grammatically, it makes no sense.

Also, the "thank you" in this sentence, as it is reported speech, MUST be wrapped in quotation marks and preceeded by a comma.

Also, there should be a semi-colon separating the "thankers" as it is a list proceeded by a full colon.

So,

The following user(s) say(s), "Thank you", to Kym, for this useful post:

Scotty72 (today); Fred (yesterday)

'to Kym' should be wrapped by commas as it is clearly a sub-clause.
'today' and 'yesterday' are not capitalized as they are not proper nouns.

Clear :lol:

ameerat42
20-07-2011, 5:44pm
Well, I don't really mind whether it's one or two words. Before reading the above, I would have thought that "thankyou" would be a noun, like, "I got a thankyou note"; while "thank you" is just the usual form of the older verb form, like, "I thank you, Jack".
Anyway, thAmks.

Scotty72
20-07-2011, 5:45pm
That Is Much Better.

No, it is much worse now! :eek:

Scotty72
20-07-2011, 5:47pm
Well, I don't really mind whether it's one or two words. Before reading the above, I would have thought that "thankyou" would be a noun, like, "I got a thankyou note"; while "thank you" is just the usual form of the older verb form, like, "I thank you, Jack".
Anyway, thAmks.

No, in your eg. 'thankyou' is an adjective describing the noun (note).

And, you may not say, "I thank you, Jack" (double object) but, you may say, "Jack, I thank you."

Scotty:lol:

I @ M
20-07-2011, 5:49pm
From my understanding, first letters of every word is capitalised when you have capslock on with the subsequent letters changed to lowercase

Edit: Not apparently so on this forum :lol:

I think you are becoming confused with your phone. :scrtch:

ricktas
20-07-2011, 6:04pm
Agree with Scotty. Thank and You are two words. If you are going to combine them the most logical way would be thank-you! Not Thankyou!

ameerat42
20-07-2011, 6:10pm
No, in your eg. 'thankyou' is an adjective describing the noun (note).

And, you may not say, "I thank you, Jack" (double object) but, you may say, "Jack, I thank you."

Scotty:lol:

True about the "thankyou" being an adjective here, Scotty. You deserve a "thankyou" (noun) for astuteness.

I will differ on not being able to use "I thank you, Jack." Here's why:
It is not a double object, it only looks like it. Rather, it is the same as saying, "Jack, I thank you." So that makes the "Jack" the actual subject. ("Jack" in front is a "vocative" subject, a case we no longer have as such in English.)

After this I'll (subject-verb contraction) put "Jack" (accusative object) back in the box (dative object) in case people (2nd subject) get Jack (adjective) of hearing about him (2nd dative object).
Am. (Subject)

Tannin
20-07-2011, 6:30pm
Bahh. Nonsense, Scotty. Clever, well educated nonsense I grant you, but nonsense nevertheless.

"Thankyou" is a compound word. There are many hundreds of compound words in Engish, probably several thousands, and new ones are being coined all the time. They can be made up from any two existing words, of any type. Here are a few more compound words for you to ponder. (For reasons of space, I have restricted myself to compound words starting with the letter "t".)

tablecloth
tableland
tablespoon
tableware
taillight
tailspin
takeoff
talebearer
tapeworm
taproom
taproot
taskmaster
tattletale
teammate
teardrop
teaspoon
telltale
tenderfoot
tenderhearted
tenderloin
tenpin
textbook
thanksgiving
themselves
thereabout
thereafter
thereat
thereby
therefor
therefrom
therein
thereinafter
thereof
thereon
thereto
theretofore
thereunto
thereupon
therewith
thickset
thighbone
thistledown
thoroughbred
thoroughfare
thoroughgoing
threadbare
threescore
threesome
throughout
throughway
throwback
thumbnail
thumbscrew
thumbtack
thunderbolt
thunderclap
thundercloud
thunderhead
thunderstone
thunderstorm
thunderstruck
thundreshower
tideland
tidewater
tightfisted
tightlipped
tightrope
tightwad
timberline
timekeeper
timepiece
timetable
timeworn
tinderbox
tinfoil
tinsmith
tintype
tiptoe
toadstool
toastmaster
toenail
tollgate
tomboy
tombstone
tomcat
toothpaste
toothpick
topcoat
topflight
topknot
topmost
topnotch
topsail
topsoil
tossup
touchdown
touchstone
townsman
townspeople
trademark
tradesman
trainman
trapshooting
treadmill
tribesman
troopship
troublemaker
truckload
trueblue
truelove
trustworthy
tryout
tugboat
tumbleweed
turnabout
turncoat
turnout
turnover
turnpike
turnstile
turntable
turtledove
twosome
typeface
typesetter
typewrite
typewriter

JM Tran
20-07-2011, 6:33pm
you forgot Canikon:D

Xenedis
20-07-2011, 6:39pm
No, it is much worse now! :eek:

It was "thank you" from memory.

I agree with you; the expression consists of two separate words.

Otherwise, let's be done with it and change it to "thanks".

Tannin
20-07-2011, 6:48pm
Nope. It was "Thank You".

Two words is perfectly acceptable, however it is quite wrong to object to the equally acceptable single compound word. On the whole, I advise using a single word on the grounds that anything which annoy's Scottie can't be a bad thing.

(Spurious greengrocer's apostrophe inserted specially for Am. May I rot in hell if I ever do it again.)

Xenedis
20-07-2011, 6:56pm
Nope. It was "Thank You".

It was before the Inappropriate Capitalisation Was Rightfully Removed.

I thought it had simply changed to lower case until the words fused together.

Two words is perfectly acceptable, however it is quite wrong to object to the equally acceptable single compound word.

Using the less formal "thanks" would alleviate the earth-shattering issue of compound words and their acceptability or otherwise in this context.

Kym
20-07-2011, 7:08pm
I'll make it 'thank youse' (Jeff Fenech) if you all don't chill :lol:

Tannin
20-07-2011, 7:12pm
I prefer "thankyou" to "thank you", and either form to "thanks". "Thanks" is a little too ... er ... unimportant sounding. When I say thankyou, I want you to feel as though I mean it. :)

Where is Am? Am I going to be flayed alive for my greengrocer's apostrophe?

Scotty72
20-07-2011, 7:13pm
Bahh. Nonsense, Scotty. Clever, well educated nonsense I grant you, but nonsense nevertheless.

"Thankyou" is a compound word. There are many hundreds of compound words in Engish, probably several thousands, and new ones are being coined all the time. They can be made up from any two existing words, of any type. Here are a few more compound words for you to ponder. (For reasons of space, I have restricted myself to compound words starting with the letter "t".)
[list]

Most of your list is completely irrelevant to this discussion. They are completely different in grammar to 'thank you'.

Tannin
20-07-2011, 7:18pm
Thankyou is a compound adverb. What's so hard about that? You can count up the list to find others if you please. Or resort to the A-S and U-Z lists to find more.

(Enough! I'm out of this thread!)

Scotty72
20-07-2011, 7:41pm
Thankyou is a compound adverb. What's so hard about that? You can count up the list to find others if you please. Or resort to the A-S and U-Z lists to find more.

(Enough! I'm out of this thread!)

Do you even know what an adverb is? From your eg, obviously not. Or, perhaps you could explain what verb 'thankyou' [sic] describes in the context of the tag-line at the end of a post.

Perhaps, I could deal with it as an adverb in the context of, "She gave him a thankyou kiss." (as this is describing a verb (kiss)). But, this is clearly not the case in the context of this discussion.

Scotty

arthurking83
20-07-2011, 7:43pm

...... could you please tell me how adding that message to a post is done? I can't find how to do it:o - thanks.

really quickly too( to add too Tannin's reply) is that after about an hour or some you can't edit your posts ... but you may be able to persuade(another :p) moderator to assist you.

I think you are becoming confused with your phone. :scrtch:

... because only an iPhone is an (idiotic) iPhone! :D

I'll make it 'thank youse' (Jeff Fenech) if you all don't chill :lol:

Can youse make it thank ewe, thankewe or even thenkewe?

Kym
20-07-2011, 7:44pm
Closed THANK YOU !

Kym
20-07-2011, 7:50pm
http://www.future-perfect.co.uk/grammartips/grammar-tip-thank-you-thankyou.asp