PDA

View Full Version : Cooler Weather Shooting, what do I need to know?

terry.langham
18-07-2011, 12:24am
Heading to the New England tablelands sometime this week for a few days, forecast is for about 2-13deg while I am there (although where I am staying will be a few degrees cooler). Is there anything I need to know when shooting in close to zero deg weather? Any special precations required when changing lenses? I am able to leave my bag in an open shed/car hole to 'aclimatise', is that a good idea for early morning shooting?

Cheers
Terry

Scotty72
18-07-2011, 12:30am
I don't think that the New England region is going to get so cold that you need to worry that much. Northern Alaska = yes, New England = no. :)

Scotty72
18-07-2011, 12:31am
I assume you are talking of NSW, not NE USA.

terry.langham
18-07-2011, 12:36am
Yeah Scotty, New England NSW. Will be staying on a property near Farracabad or Glenn Innes.

Tannin
18-07-2011, 12:47am
Not really Terry. Well, not so long as your room isn't heated to some absurd degree. I'm not sure that I'd want to be taking my cameras from a 25 degree room out into a frosty morning, but I doubt that you'll be doing that. The real troubles start when you go the other way - if you take a cold camera out into a hot, wet atmosphere then it fogs up like crazy. (Darwin in the wet season assuming your room is air conditioned - and if it isn't you are risking much worse than fog with mould!)

But in the sort of mild temperatures you are anticipating, nope. Just enjoy. Oh - you might find a pair of fingerless gloves handy if you are not used to the cold.

terry.langham
18-07-2011, 12:59am
Thanks Tony. I would definately rather be overcatious than come home only to find a memory card full of fail. Already have a good jacket and gloves (will be heading for the hills on a quad in the wee hours) and hope to pick up some thermals, before I go, to keep my legs warm.

Scotty72
18-07-2011, 1:03am
Also, the problems of sudden temperature shifts happen when, well, the temperature shifts suddenly. :cool:

Assuming you're not going to be in a room heated to 30 C then suddenly racing out, camera primed, to take pics of the morning blizzard, you'll be fine.

Assuming you are outside for a few minutes before you are shooting, setting up the camera and figuring out your shot, the camera will be fine.

I'd be more worried you don't forget a warm jacket. :th3:

Tannin
18-07-2011, 1:07am
Good thinking!

I live in Ballarat, Terry, so I'm used to air a bit cooler than those temps you mention, but close enough.

Something else that's very, very handy on a farming property (or anywhere!) is gum boots. Blunstone make the best ones, though they might be hard to find in the city. In the bush, any Landmark or farming supplies place will have them - cost you about $35 a pair, very comfortable, you can wear them all day, and they last for years. If you have warm dry feet, the rest of you will be pretty right. My gum boots are one of my most important bits of photographic gear. Go everywhere with me :)

terry.langham
18-07-2011, 1:13am
Ooh good point, will make sure I wear gumboots. I will be staying on a working property so they should be in good supply.

Nikkie
18-07-2011, 4:34pm
Terry as I see your from QLD I don't know about your photography gear but for you I would say rug up if your not use to cooler temps its can be a slap in the face for you even though to some of us that is from the colder climate might just wear a jumper or maybe a jacket for you I suggest a tee style shirt with long sleeves a long sleeve shirt like a flannelet shirt a thick jumper and a jacket something warm for your legs track pants warm socks and shoes some fingerless gloves maybe even a beanie keep warm that is the main thing good luck looking forward seeing your photos when you get back.

antongorlin
18-07-2011, 8:46pm
get warm socks and a thermos with hot tea :)
also gum boots will do well for country side