PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Tamron Lens SP AF 17-50 XR Di-II VC LD

johnrogers45
17-07-2011, 3:36pm
I purchased this lens from DWI on the internet about 15 months ago. This lens has started to give me some problems. After I take a photo I get a message on my camera's screen that "Communications between lens and camera is faulty. Clean contacts on lens." I then need to turn the camera off and on again to reset. The photo is OK but this error message happens abiut 70% of the time. I have cleaned the contacts on the lens but the problem still happens. There are no problems with my other lenses. My camera is a Canon 50D.
Has anybody had this problem before?
I presume the lens is out of its 12 months warranty so is there a reputable repairer for Tamron Lens in Sydney?

ricktas
17-07-2011, 3:43pm
how did you clean the contacts? a little bit of metho on a cloth works (make sure camera is turned off), or even a pencil eraser, to clean the contacts. it could also be a loose connection, where when you lock the lens onto the body, it has some slight movement, check that as well.

The tamron reps details are here (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?85888-Camera-and-lens-warranties.)

MarkChap
17-07-2011, 3:46pm
Not sure about a repairer in Sydney, I do know that Maxwells, the Australian importer, send all Tamrom warranty work to Perth.

One advantage of buying local would have been the 2 year warranty you would get through Maxwells.

Have you tried to clean the contacts on the camera, what did you clean the lens contacts with ??

johnrogers45
17-07-2011, 10:30pm
Thanks for the help, I did clean the contacts on both camera and lens with metho. I have just found out that the problem only happens when the auto focus is turned on. When I use manual focus there is no problem. I think I need help from the Tamron rep.