PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Tasmanians...advice please!

ktoopi
17-07-2011, 1:03pm
Hi everyone
I am planning my first trip to Tassie this December as my hubby is participating in the Sydney to Hobart. I will be arriving on Dec 29th as we expect the boat to arrive sometime that night or early in the morning of the 30th. I am hoping to capture the action and atmosphere of Constitution Dock!! On about the 2cnd of Jan we are planning on picking up a car or camper van(not decided yet) and travelling the east coast to Launceston. Any local knowledge of places to see, stay and must photograph destinations would be much appreciated.
Cheers Karen:)

ricktas
17-07-2011, 1:13pm
The docks will be swarming with people, so you will get heaps of chances to get some candid street photography in. Hobart comes alive over this period with the Taste of Tasmania also happening at the docks, thousands flock to the hall to eat every day, and watch street performers etc. You will find a plethora of activity to capture.

On the East coast.

Buckland Church (built in 1846) which contains a stained glass window from somewhere between the 10th and 14th century.
Orford and surrounds, stunning beaches
Maria Island
Trip from Triabunna to Swansea, some amazing beaches and coastline, looking out to Freycinet National Park
Swansea, wonderful seaside town
Freycinet National Park (including Wineglass Bay)
Bicheno
Scamander
St Helens
Binnalong Bay
The Bay of Fires

the list goes on, you could spend weeks exploring it all. Tassie might be small but around every bend is a new scene.

ameerat42
17-07-2011, 1:22pm
And then you still won't be see-sick.

opi2kenopi
17-07-2011, 1:26pm
You lucky thing! Tassie is just beautiful.

I lived there for 2 years and there are still many places I would love to explore further.

All of the places Rick has mentioned are beautiful. You just won't believe the colour of the water along the east coast, often green water and white sands, just beautiful. Definitely see if you can do some sunrise shooting at the Bay of Fires. Another spot for some stunning sunrise photos is the Tessellated Pavement near Eaglehawk Neck (which is just up the road from Port Arthur - which is also has fantastic photography opportunities).

Enjoy your trip :D

ktoopi
17-07-2011, 1:34pm
Thank you Rick
I was hoping to practise my candid street photography!! I can't wait to immerse myself in the whole atmosphere of Hobart at that time of the year. We have loads of sailing friends who rave about the the whole scene!! The list of places you suggested is great it will give me a starting point to say the least!! Thanks again Karen:)

ktoopi
17-07-2011, 1:37pm
Thanks Opi2kenopi
I know that there is such a lot to see and we only have a short time but this won't be the last Sydney to Hobart that hubby does. In fact I think it will be the first of many so hopefully I will be back every year for a while and see a different bit each time!!:D:D

johndom
17-07-2011, 8:05pm
good list from Rick,
Douglas Apsley Nat park has some nice bits, but around coles bay is my favourite, get out to whitewater wall /bluestone bay if your van can take it.
And. Dont just go to the east coast.