PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with gear

Wulfys Kingdom
17-07-2011, 1:13am
Hi, I'm travelling on a plane for the first time in quite a long time (which makes me realise how long it's been since I've had a decent holiday lol), and was just wondering what to expect from airports/cabin crew when travelling with camera & gear.

I have a nice well padded Lowepro backpack but just wondering what to expect going through security etc. Also what made me wonder, do the machines have any effect on things like memory cards? I'm assuming not because I havent heard of warnings or people being caught out, but I would rather be safe than sorry!

Any additional tips or tricks to travelling smart or easier with cameras is much appreciated.

kiwi
17-07-2011, 8:22am
Get insurance is my best advice

Your bag might be weighed, if over sling the camera around your neck and stuff the lenses in your pockets etc, and just repack once onboard

The xray machines are no problem

jackdaw
17-07-2011, 9:28am
I travel a lot. Usually take 10-11kg of gear on with me as well as a netbook as hand luggage. Never had it weighed. I have it all in 1 bag and try to pick it up so as it looks light :) If you look like you're struggling with it you'll be pinged.

mikew09
17-07-2011, 9:55am
Travelled a few times with my kit and a tripod - lowpro backpack. Never been quired and nor would I expect to when I see many passengers with wheel on mini cases that are larger than my camera bag and only just fit down the isle. I practice the same technique, lift the bag like it is nothing especially when scanning the boarding pass as you board. I never let the hostie put my bag in sotrage and I always put it to the corner so only one side is exposed.
The other odd thing is I have traveled with bag and tripod twice, medium sized tripod. The first time I was asked if I had a bag for it and I said no (Virgin AL) so they gave me one of those stripped bags to wrap around the tripod with the top still sticking out. The person on the boarding desk said they would not allow it on the plane without a bag over it. Next time, used the tripod carry bag and once checked what it was all was good. The tipod fits long ways in the overhead no worries.

ameerat42
17-07-2011, 11:13am
Don't take anything sharp (-ish, -ish deemable, -ish dreamable) such as even a small screwdriver, nail clippers with pointy bits, long-nose tweezers, etc in the carry-on luggage. Also, don't take pictures during take-off and landing, or whenever they announce NOT to use electronic gear.
And have a good trip.
Am. (Not Pan.)

ktoopi
17-07-2011, 1:26pm
I always pack my tripod into my checked in suitcase! I carry a lowepro backback with my camera body and 3 lenses and other stuff and agree with the others about picking it up as if it were lightweight. I have never had it weighed or been questioned. A few of my pro photographer friends who have way more gear than me also put lenses in the pockets of their jacket and wear a camera around their neck. I would never pack camera bodies or lenses into your suitcase (have you seen how rough they are with baggage!!) Also insurance is a must, I left my camera bag on the plane once (it was uninsured) and it took 4 days of constant ringing and asking if it had been handed in yet to get it back. Staff were shocked that I actually got it back and put it down to my persistence and phone harrassment!! Needless to say my current kit is insured!! I know ,I know you are all asking how can one possible 'forget' to get their camera bag! Well, at the time I was travelling alone with a toddler in tow with several items of hand luggage to juggle!! The mums out there will understand!! Hope this helps!:)

Wulfys Kingdom
17-07-2011, 8:50pm
That's great, thank you everyone!! These are very handy things to know :) I'm glad i asked!

fillum
17-07-2011, 10:16pm
If possible I stow my backpack under the seat in front rather than in an overhead locker.

Am. (Not Pan.) :D

Cheers.

ktoopi
17-07-2011, 11:41pm
If possible I stow my backpack under the seat in front rather than in an overhead locker.

:D

Cheers.
Ha that was my downfall when I left my camera on the plane!:o I stuffed two bags under the seat in front, the first being my camera gear and when I got off I only grabbed the second bag. I couldn't see my camera gear and walked off without it!:eek:

enduro
30-07-2011, 2:04am
Tripod goes in the check in case.

Camera, filters and lenses etc come with me on the plane. I probably have 10kg in my Lowepro backpack that is hand luggage size and never had an issue on big or small planes.

All my lenses and camera a fully insured - essentially anything can happen to them and I will get a replacement.

jev
02-08-2011, 1:22am
You'll prolly get away with too heavy carry-on luggage, but do know that approximately 4,500 passengers are injured each year from falling baggage (source (http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/airplane-turbulence-flight-injuries-32405.html)). Believe me, you'll never want anything heavier than a balloon in those overhead bins once you've seen what damage a 10kg piece of luggage can do to you crashing down during a bit of turbulence.

So, if you do decide to bring all your photographic gear on board, make sure you pack it under the seat in front of you.

Ground personnel (security, ground-stewardesses, ...) may ask you to unpack and weigh everything if they are in a bad mood. Usually, you'll get away with it but sometimes you won't. Make sure your luggage fits within the limits as described on the ticket, especially when travelling with low-budget airlines.

Steve Axford
02-08-2011, 10:23am
How many people really need more than 7kg of camera gear in their hand luggage anyway? Take the important stuff with you, the rest can be checked in. I've traveled a lot and I've gradually become less paranoid as time goes on.

JM Tran
02-08-2011, 12:55pm
How many people really need more than 7kg of camera gear in their hand luggage anyway? Take the important stuff with you, the rest can be checked in. I've traveled a lot and I've gradually become less paranoid as time goes on.

I do, most of the time. Depends if you are traveling for work, even for fun sometimes.

ash233
02-08-2011, 10:17pm
Agreed with the point that you become less paranoid with experience, tripod always gets stuffed into the checked baggage and lately i've also been putting a couple of less valuable lenses in checked baggage too. I always make sure they are very well protected in travel cases and in amongst my clothes though. Just do it mainly because i'm sick of having hand luggage that weighs a ton and i have to lug around.

Ash

sufran
03-08-2011, 9:23am
Which Lowepro backpack are people using for their carry-on luggage? I'm looking to buy an airline carry-on compliant backpack (preferably with a laptop section) for my camera gear.

Steve Axford
03-08-2011, 9:49am
I do, most of the time. Depends if you are traveling for work, even for fun sometimes.
You're just paranoid, Jackie. Why do you "need" to carry more than 7kg with you on the plane? I may take 15kg at times, but only the camera, a couple of lenses and maybe a battery charger goes in cabin luggage with me.

TOM
13-08-2011, 9:28am
Put all of your camera gear on your kit hen table, then choose only the absolute essentials, then take only half of what's left.

JM Tran
13-08-2011, 12:28pm
You're just paranoid, Jackie. Why do you "need" to carry more than 7kg with you on the plane? I may take 15kg at times, but only the camera, a couple of lenses and maybe a battery charger goes in cabin luggage with me.

ummm because I travel for client work around the world and have had 5 situations where I had to run out and hire stuff in HK, Shanghai, Saigon and London where my luggage did not arrive with me on time thus missing out on some stuff? These slight mishaps eat into my profit and increase expenses and not too big of a deal to claim insurance back on.

do I need 1 or 2 bodies, 2-3 lenses, laptop, a few flashes and accessories as carry-on? Yes I do - minimum amount of gear to be able to land in a city and go to work right away. Monolights, tripods, mini booms can go in suitcase along with spare clothes. Hell, I can even fit a spare set of lightweight clothes in my carry-on too alongside camera gear.

not to mention my stuff and another friend has been rummaged through in Manila, none of my stuff was stolen but she was missing about 20USD or so.

do over 60 flights like I have in the last 2 years for photography and come back and tell me if Im paranoid or simply know what to prioritize in carrying now.

maccaroneski
13-08-2011, 6:30pm
Although there is much to be said for leaving the heavy stuff at home and renting it when you need it...was just in Singapore and picked up a 70-200 for the times that I needed tit for AUD40 a pop... beats the hell out of carrying it around the world.

JM Tran
13-08-2011, 6:34pm
Although there is much to be said for leaving the heavy stuff at home and renting it when you need it...was just in Singapore and picked up a 70-200 for the times that I needed tit for AUD40 a pop... beats the hell out of carrying it around the world.

I do the same, but only available in countries which has those services. Certainly not in places like Mongolia or Cambodia etc:)

Art Vandelay
13-08-2011, 10:31pm
Which Lowepro backpack are people using for their carry-on luggage? I'm looking to buy an airline carry-on compliant backpack (preferably with a laptop section) for my camera gear.

I have one of these (http://products.lowepro.com/product/CompuTrekker-Plus-AW,1925,16.htm),and have used it within Aus no worries. A good friends daughter borrowed it recently (along with my 17-55 f/2.8) and used it on a 4 week trip through europe. She loved it. She didn't have a lot of camera gear, just a body, 2 lenses & a flash then the laptop, a couple of books & some personal stuff with room to spare. It's marketed as airline cabin size, she didn't have any problems over there either.

Bit sad that my backpack and one of my lenses got a trip around europe without me though. :p

kai boogie
19-08-2011, 3:47am
Hey all, I've recently started travelling with my kit and havnt had any problems getting in with a backpack(lowepro flipside 400) and a seperate laptop bag and just pack my tripod away in the checked luggage. But the lowepro is extremely heavy with everything in it so will most probably be getting a smaller side bag to bring along for when i dont need to carry everything around. If any one can give me afew tips on who can insure my camera gear and what the rough prices are would be awesome.

campdog
19-08-2011, 12:58pm
I had my camera bag and laptop weighed when leaving Los Angeles in June. Only becuase our check in was too heavy.They pinned me on both Laptop and Camera Bag,All the little bits and pieces I picked up on holidays added up.
I carry the largest lowpro flipside and get most of my gear in there.I carry by backup hardrive and sd cards in the bag as I want them with me at all times. I check in my tripod and 1 charger and other bits that can get replaced.I have a charger in my camera bag as well.I just took my bag to the post office and a pre trip weigh in. The last trip I packed gear in my wifes carry on as well as her booked luggage. I thought if Im going to spend six weeks travelling the US and the National Parks I might as well take the most I can and get the use of my gear.I took 2 bodies, a 10-20mm sigma, 28-70 mm f/2.8 - 80-200f/2.8 and a macro 100mm f/2.8and a teleconvertor. Between the 2 cameras I got good use from them.I couldnt leave home without them.:o
I wasnt allowed to put my bab under my seat and made put it up in the locker on take off and landing.
John

Lance B
19-08-2011, 1:22pm
I use a Lowepro Flipside 400 and in it pack my D700, 16-35 f4 or 14-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8 attached to the camera, 70-200 f2.8, 1.4x TCII, 2x TCIII, flash, and sometimes the D7000 if I feel I need more reach or the macro 105mm. If I take a tripod/monopod I put that into the check in luggage. Chargers etc also go in check in luggage. Never had an issue and I fly regularly.

Brian500au
22-08-2011, 4:18pm
In my experience leaving from Melbourne airport there is a security guy just as you go through the gates with a scale waiting to weigh you carry on. I have travelled a lot and the first thing I do before going through the gates in Melbourne is take both my camera out (fitted with my heaviest lens) and swing it over my shoulder. I also carry through my laptop (you need to take it out anyway going through the xray machines). That way if they do weigh my bag it is most likely under or just around the 7kgs mark - no problems and no hassles. I put it all back in my bag just before i board.