PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi to pay

Kym
16-07-2011, 1:27pm
That should be Kiwis :D

DEBT-ridden Kiwis sunning themselves on Australian beaches watch out - the credit collectors could be coming to get you.

A new payment system to allow New Zealand companies to collect $NZ100 million in debts outstanding from many of the 580,000 Kiwis living on the other side of the ditch is one of the policies the governments are considering to harmonise trans-Tasman relations.

During a visit to Wellington today, Treasurer Wayne Swan and his New Zealand counterpart Bill English discussed progress with moves to bring the nations closer together.

Besides the usual talk of "mateship" and jibes about the rugby, the ministers talked of progress with plans to finalise an investment protocol, expected in a "few months", and streamline super funds so that retirement savings can be transferred between countries.

Mr English said the most visible signs of trans-Tasman harmonisation were changes to speed up passenger processing between border airports.

"It's something that Aussies and New Zealanders have taken to with much more enthusiasm than we expected," he told journalists at a joint press conference on Thursday.

The ministers also discussed streamlining cross-border payment systems.

At a Trans-Tasman Business Circle meeting in the city, Mr Swan heard from Australasia's largest credit information company Veda Advantage, which complained that debts could be collected from Australians in New Zealand, but not vice versa.

"At last count they owed $NZ100 million in outstanding fines and instead enjoying themselves on Bondi Beach and others," said Veda's John Roberts.

He said getting the money back would be a windfall for the cash-strapped New Zealand government - "It could make Bill English's day."
More: http://www.news.com.au/business/breaking-news/kiwis-in-australia-may-have-to-pay-debt/story-e6frfkur-1226094712420

Where is the demographic centre of InZid?
A: Bondi Beach :lol:

kiwi
16-07-2011, 1:41pm
Phew, typical stereotype the expat kiwis all bludge at bondi though isnt it

ricktas
16-07-2011, 1:50pm

Yeah. Though I wonder if there are any stats on where in Aus these financial absconders are located. Agree that the kiwi at Bondi is stereotyping.

Kym
16-07-2011, 1:51pm

:D Well, if the shoe fits?
Nah, I'm treating it as a joke, but it makes sense that if someone owes $$ they should pay it back.

jim
16-07-2011, 1:52pm
It's a ridiculous stereotype.

Nobody can afford Bondi any more.

kiwi
16-07-2011, 2:07pm
There's no doubt lots of kiwis in Sydney and yes, i suspect it was said as a joke. Still a stereotype though that's going to be impossible to shake.

ricktas
16-07-2011, 2:07pm
Ah, it's all falling into place. Bondi, where the Kiwi's hang out. Bondi where you get rapped over the knuckles for taking photos. Bondi where all the Kiwi's who owe money back home are..see the pattern. If it wasn't for the damn Kiwi's who don't want their photo taken cause it might incriminate or identify their location for the debt collectors, we would still be all happy taking photos at Bondi! Send em all back, I say!:D

kiwi
16-07-2011, 2:15pm
I've been to Bondi, didn't do much for me, too many kiwis there

Scotty72
16-07-2011, 2:18pm
And, all their bloody Combi vans clogging up the car-parks :eek:

kiwi
16-07-2011, 3:35pm
Oh oh, I own a vw too (not a combi tho)