PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Camera Raw default sharpening and NR settings?

Tannin
10-07-2011, 10:28pm
My copy of Photoshop Camera Raw has suddenly started producing really bad image quality - everything is sharpened way way too much and noisy as hell. I don't want to just nuke all my settings, I want to keep everything the way it and just set the noises reduction and sharpening settings back to the factory default. Anyone know where I can find that info?

Thanks!

ricktas
11-07-2011, 6:59am
I have read about this too (quite a while ago) and from memory:

Select Preferences from the Settings menu or from Camera Raw Preferences in Bridge.
There is a sharpening preferences drop down box, use that.

Tannin
11-07-2011, 10:45am
Thanks Rick!

I looked at those options and wasn't confident they would do what I was looking for, so I spat the dummy and reset everything by holding shift-ctrl-alt on Photoshop startup (on the grounds that I needed to be confident that the NR & sharpening were really back to the factory default).

But Photoshop is still producing noisy images from the 50D! Very significant noise in images I develop through ACR, which is not there in the in-camera JPG, or if I use DPP. And no, there is no NR enabled in-camera, none at all.

This is weird. I'll post samples a bit later on when I get a moment.

camerasnoop
12-07-2011, 12:24pm
I had that problem recently too. I suspect the ACR update that came through had different defaults, but of course I can't definitively put it down to that. The good news though is that ACR6.4.1 does a top job at noise reduction if you give the Luminosity sliders a tweak. It's so good that I'm contemplating leaving Noise Ninja out of my default action. That will speed things up a bit for me.

You know, I swear that Adobe has caught the bug from Microsoft with their updates. Anybody else noticed this?

MarkChap
12-07-2011, 12:32pm
I think, there is a setting, can't remember where I saw it now, about applying suggested settings based on EXIF data, so if you have a series of shots on similar settings ACR automatically applied the same settings to all images. That happened to me in Lightroom develop module, which after all is the RAW engine as ACR.

I will be away for a few days so will double check to see if I can find it again when I get back

MarkChap
12-07-2011, 12:33pm
I think, there is a setting, can't remember where I saw it now, about applying suggested settings based on EXIF data, so if you have a series of shots on similar settings ACR automatically applied the same settings to all images. That happened to me in Lightroom develop module, which after all is the RAW engine as ACR.

I will be away for a few days so will double check to see if I can find it again when I get back

Damo77
12-07-2011, 4:59pm
That's right, it's in Bridge's preferences, I think.

mongo
15-07-2011, 8:49pm
This is not the exact answer you are looking for but will do the job.
In ACR , near the top right hand side, there is a “box” or subheading called “Basic”. If you click on the right side of that , it opens a drop down of options – including creating your own presets and defaults. If you know your old default settings, try resetting them here.
Once set up, it takes only seconds to choose a preset which you have created and saved – indeed, you can create any number of variable presets. Mongo has created one for Tiff files , another for Raw etc