PDA

View Full Version : what makes a portrait a portrait

Nikkie
10-07-2011, 9:23am
whether it be a person a animal or some other subject. Can a tree be a portrait or maybe a flower or does it have to be a person or animal what is the difference from somebody saying this is a portrait or a photo this is most likely a stupid question but I am just trying to learn my way I guess.

kiwi
10-07-2011, 9:29am
Always of a person and about a person.

ameerat42
10-07-2011, 9:39am
Good Q, Nikkie. I have often thought of this in my very limited foray into that field. B-4 answering, I thought I'd check out a "definition", and turned to Wiki(ubiqi)pedia. I always thought that the "trait" part of portrait would have to have a bearing, and that would mean capturing "something recognisable" about the subject.

As to your question about a tree, I'd say, yes.
Am.

PS. The Wiki explanation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portrait) seems to make a point about face/expression/mood, all of which would be rather subjective, but I agree with the (ED: last part of the) last sentence in their opening excerpt here.

A portrait is a painting, photograph, sculpture, or other artistic representation of a person, in which the face and its expression is predominant. The intent is to display the likeness, personality, and even the mood of the person. For this reason, in photography a portrait is generally not a snapshot, but a composed image of a person in a still position. A portrait often shows a person looking directly at the painter or photographer, in order to most successfully engage the subject with the viewer.

I suppose you cold ask how a snapshot differs from a portrait. (I think of a snapshot as a subset of portraits. ED: Or is it the other way around?)

OK, next!

Nikkie
10-07-2011, 2:19pm
Thanks Kiwi and AM that is just what I thought but just wanted to make sure I had it clear in my own mind and my way of thinking as well but just wanted to be sure to be sure LoL I know it seems like a silly thing to ask tho

Trixter
12-07-2011, 11:58pm
Ha, this is my first post and exactly the question I needed answering today - bit silly to have such a question, since I have been a photographer for 20+ years now, but I really wanted to know exactly what a portrait is and I think that's been pretty well answered by this post, so well done Nikkie to raise it. I also have a question related - is an animal a portrait too, coz there are a number of animal portrait photos on there already?? Hmm wouldn't seem to be if it is of a person as the wikipedia defination states. Oh well, I have some good portraits so I guess I will steer away from the animal ones, even though my wife and I have a fabulously beautiful Cat and a great new dog too (I will post some photos later) - oh well, the animal portrait category will come along soon enough anyway, good to talk to you. Trixter

JM Tran
13-07-2011, 12:04am
as long as it is a posed shot, I consider it a portrait - without any form of advertising involved.

Lani
14-07-2011, 2:12pm
Always of a person and about a person.

Can't agree with this, I think any living thing that has a brain can be the subject of a portrait, not necessarily human. I think it does have to have some personality or character which is trying to be captured. Good question, though:)

kiwi
14-07-2011, 3:33pm
Can't agree with this, I think any living thing that has a brain can be the subject of a portrait, not necessarily human. I think it does have to have some personality or character which is trying to be captured. Good question, though:)

OK, but is a picture of a bird a portrait of a bird - I suppose it could be but you wouldnt call it a portrait would you, is a studio shot of an animal for example a portrait, I suppose it is.

Rattus79
14-07-2011, 4:15pm
Does Orientation not come into this discussion?? Ie Portrait vs Landscape?

kiwi
14-07-2011, 4:17pm
I wouldnt have thought it relevant at all Greg, but thanks for raising it :)

Rattus79
14-07-2011, 4:22pm
Is a portrait still a portrait if it's taken in landscape??

kiwi
14-07-2011, 4:35pm
you can have a portrait in portrait and a portrait in landscape, or a landscape in portrait and a landscape in landscape :) or square :eek:

Lani
14-07-2011, 9:30pm
OK, but is a picture of a bird a portrait of a bird - I suppose it could be but you wouldnt call it a portrait would you, is a studio shot of an animal for example a portrait, I suppose it is.

Depends on the bird, and how she is posing I reckon. ;) Seriously though, as with most things in photography though, a lot of it depends on the viewer. I reckon Rich et al see their bird images as portraits because they can appreciate the charcater of their subject. Others won't see anything other than just a bird.

And absolutely, a studio shot of an animal is a portrait....I have photographed some wonderfully engaging animal personalities, sometimes more so than some of the young "models" I have worked with. :D

Kyle72
14-07-2011, 10:45pm
That the subject is in Focus, and not the background

Scotty72
14-07-2011, 11:02pm
Animals certainly can be the subject of a portrait - assuming they can display a personality.

I often worry about school photograph 'portraits' - where they are often forbidden to display any form of personality.

kiwi
14-07-2011, 11:04pm
That the subject is in Focus, and not the background

No, can't agree with that.

graemelee
17-07-2011, 1:23am
I think anything with personal expression and taken in close up facing camera would be considered a portrait of that being.

jim
17-07-2011, 2:37am
What an interesting question. My first reaction was "it's obvious!" but the more you think about it the less obvious it gets.

This
The intent is to display the likeness, personality, and even the mood of the person from the Wikipedia article above seems to get at the heart of it, except that nearly any photo shows the likeness of something, and a portrait doesn't need to be a person. I think having some personality to portray is a necessary condition for a portrait.

It seems clear that you can make a portrait of any animal, but whether or not a picture of a flower or a tree could be a portrait is probably unanswerable. Personally I'd say no.

ricstew
17-07-2011, 8:55am
Eye contact.....if it has eyes it can be a portrait. Think about a candid....if theres no eye contact is that a candid verses a portrait?

kiwi
17-07-2011, 8:57am
Eye contact.....if it has eyes it can be a portrait. Think about a candid....if theres no eye contact is that a candid verses a portrait?

I dont think eye contact is essential, or that a candid needs a lack of eye contact

Scotty72
17-07-2011, 10:26am
Plenty of candids have eye contact.

WhoDo
17-07-2011, 10:27am
Purely from a language perspective, I'd like to offer the following definitions from the Free Online Dictionary:

por·trait (pôrtrt, -trt, pr-)
n.
1. A likeness of a person, especially one showing the face, that is created by a painter or photographer, for example.
2. A verbal picture or description, especially of a person.
adj.
Of or relating to the orientation of a page such that the longer side runs from top to bottom.
[French, from Old French, image, from past participle of portraire, to portray; see portray.]

por·tray (pôr-tr, pr-)
tr.v. por·trayed, por·tray·ing, por·trays
1. To depict or represent pictorially; make a picture of.
2. To depict or describe in words.
3. To represent dramatically, as on the stage.

From the original root of these two words I glean that it is possible to portray almost anything, even inanimate objects such as buildings (def. 1). However, a Portrait is traditionally a likeness of a person.

I don't think that means you cannot attempt to portray any living thing in a similar way to a person; showing specific characteristics or traits. In that case you could end up with a portrait in the informal sense of displaying a trait or traits of the subject.

trait (trt)
n.
1. A distinguishing feature, as of a person's character. See Synonyms at quality.
2. A genetically determined characteristic or condition: a recessive trait.
a. A stroke with or as if with a pencil.
b. A slight degree or amount, as of a quality; a touch or trace: a sermon with a trait of humor.
[Middle English, shot, from Old French, something drawn, shot, from Latin tractus, a drawing out, line; see tract1.]

Bottom Line: For me the formal term "Portrait" applies to depictions of people that attempt to display some individually unique characteristic or other trait, but that it is also possible to have an informal "portrait" of any living thing capable of displaying individually unique characteristics or traits. I know, I know; I've probably just confused the heck out of you Nikkie but I hope not. Great question, though! :th3:

jgknight
17-07-2011, 10:41am
I would consider this as a portrait, even though it is not human, I still think it portrays the personality of this beautiful creature.

http://jgknight.smugmug.com/Other/Entomology-Macro-Studies/i-SjS2h6s/0/S/2011-06-24-210751-ZS-28-Image-S.jpg

Nikkie
17-07-2011, 12:21pm
Hmm although there is the dictionary meaning its a lot wider range to one's self I am now guessing each to there own. So one person may think it so beautiful you could frame it and put on your wall while the next one might not bother or just keep it in an album someplace. I hear the word portrait and right away in my head I get a vision of a set up photo taken in a studio that is 100% perfect with no flaws. Like Jim said
My first reaction was "it's obvious!" but the more you think about it the less obvious it gets.
and that is why I asked I almost did not ask this because it also seemed like a silly Question but thought if I don't ask I wont know.From what I see here we all have our own point of view I guess a portrait comes down to this Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder we all see through different eyes. Like Noddy is showing us he see's as a beautiful creature others may not. The beauty I see in an Old Holden motor car or a old fallen down abandon building may not be seen beauty to all but I am more likely to put up on my wall. I would like to thank each and every one of you wonderful people for putting in your input when I made the post I was expecting one simple answer but the answer really its the beauty of viewer that makes it a portrait a portrait worthy of framing putting on your wall. Thanks to all