PDA

View Full Version : Holden owners::: Wanna save 100$ ???

ameerat42
06-07-2011, 1:50pm
Are you sick of being quoted heaps to renew a car key that has only the rubber worn off the buttons?

Then try this quick fix. SEE PIC. Just did it for two keys. I haven't yet covered it with Silastic gasket sealant because the tube is DRY:(

Cut the rubber about 2mm thick.
Am.

Duane Pipe
13-07-2011, 7:42pm
Holden's aint bad Am, But give me an old Chevy any day:D and they don't need them:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The price of key replacement costs is ridiculous Am.....

ameerat42
14-07-2011, 10:42am
And the loox you get! What? DON'T ya wanna spend heaps for nuffin?:rolleyes:

Bennymiata
14-07-2011, 10:49am
The reason modern car keys are so expensive is that they have a coded chip inside them, and without the right chip, you can't start the car.

ameerat42
15-07-2011, 10:52am
I can appreciate that Benny, but not the fact that such minor damage:
1) renders them very hard to use (I had to poke a pen tip - retracted - or a paper clip.
2) should be fixable easily more cheaply.

Now I have a Ford key (separate buttons) that's older and that doesn't even show any wear (yet).
Am.

Bennymiata
15-07-2011, 12:55pm
I agree with you ameerat.
There are so many small things that can go wrong with a car, and when you wan to fix it, you have to buy a whole assembly for mega-dollars instead of just the small part you need.

mechawombat
20-07-2011, 12:31pm
if you really want to save 100's you wouldn't have brought a Holden in the first place:lol:

Great piece of bush mechanics though.:th3:

squizzytaylor
20-07-2011, 3:14pm
You can buy a pair of plastic covers with new rubber and key blank for about $12 on a popular online auction site.:cool:

ameerat42
20-07-2011, 3:16pm
You can buy a pair of plastic covers with new rubber and key blank for about $12 on a popular online auction site.:cool:

Interesting. Have you seen any recent example?
Am

mikew09
20-07-2011, 3:30pm
Excellent, I have tht exact problem on both mine now - soon to be fixed :-) ta. Oh, and the ligthing is that shot is very nice, good and sharp with good compsition. Use of back drop is OK but maybe DOF not quite right - or wasn't I meant to cc this shot :lol:

Rattus79
20-07-2011, 3:44pm
That was one thing i used to love about my '76 Chrysler Gallant, To start her it was a case of:
flip this switch,
Join this wire to that wire ....
that simple.

Even better then that, I had at least 2 times when someone tried to steal it and failed!:lol:
Yay for concrete mixer technology.

squizzytaylor
21-07-2011, 10:37am
Interesting. Have you seen any recent example?
Am

Yep, I have 2 here I purchased recently myself, perfect fit, only difference is a chev logo. search the online auction site for commodore keys, heaps of them for about $10 delivered, I also just noticed replacement buttons as well.