PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop print preview image is duller then the image Im working on?

Gremlin
01-07-2011, 7:18pm
Arghhh
Ok so Im at that point of wanting to print a few pics
Using exported from LR to PScs4 on a 27in Imac, printing to a Canon IP4700 printer which I thought wasnt a bad cheap printer. And printing on Canon Pro 2 paper genuine inks.
The usual story the prints a little darker then the screen image, screens been calibrated with a handheld whatsit, (which whats it i dont know it wasnt mine a friend did it with his)
But, what puzzles me is when i pulled up print preview before printing, the actual preview image is easy noticably duller then the image Im working on???
I tried to locate updated print driver thinking might be profile issue or whatnot(guessing) And couldnt find an updated driver?
So question is why does the preview look so different to the original image when all i said to PS was print, but give me a preview?

What am I missing? Have I given enough details?

Thanks in advance before I waste any more ink and paper!

Thanks in advance is anyone has any suggestions

Gremlin

(I think theres Gremlins in this system!!)

opi2kenopi
01-07-2011, 7:40pm
My guess would be that the print profile (ICC profile) is loaded at print preview time, and shows you a more accurate representation of how the image will print to that particular printer. Photoshop by default doesn't use print profiles to display your image until you ask it to, either by requesting a print preview or using the onscreen proofing view. Each printer has it's own ICC profile as they all represent colours slightly differently.

Driver is different to profile. Driver is required by the computer to communicate to the printer, the profile tells the computer the colour information of the printer.

I'm not familiar with LR in any way (I use Aperture) so I'm not sure if you can import the ICC profile for your printer to LR to give accurate onscreen proofing. I would imagine you would be able to though.

I'm sure someone with more expertise will be able to help further (and correct anything I've said if I'm not quite right here). Hope this is of some help initially.

Gremlin
01-07-2011, 8:06pm
opi I think your right i forgot about icc's, Ive noticed inthe print dialog box theres like 6 profiles for the ip4700!!!! with no explanation as to what does what!!!

thanks youve at least put me in the right direction! :)

opi2kenopi
01-07-2011, 8:41pm
I have an IP5200 and I too have many profiles to choose from. I look forward to hearing more about them too (hopefully), I've often wondered???? :)