PDA

View Full Version : Strobist setup in Sydney CBD

reaction
29-06-2011, 1:46pm
Has anyone tried shooting with a softbox on stand in Sydney CBD? I know most famous places require permits for 'commercial shoots', but chances are a simple DSLR can be construed as professional gear thus commercial shoot by rent-a-guards.

Is it a bad idea to go out near martin pl, circular quay, darling harbour with lighting?

JM Tran
29-06-2011, 2:55pm
I have used a large octobox at over 5 feet with monolight outside the QV building and also around darling harbour and George St, as long as you are not doing anything suspicious or in the way of ppl it should be fine, a bit of common sense is needed when shooting in public. It pays to have a few ppl helping you for security purposes and communicating with ppl watching when you are working.

Rattus79
29-06-2011, 3:06pm
If you are using a tripod, or light stand they might construe that as blocking the pathway and thus not allowed.

Better to ask forgiveness then permission in this case.

Xenedis
29-06-2011, 5:40pm
Ha. The $ydney Harbour Foreshore ranger$ think you're a professional if they see you with a tripod.

Dragging along brollies, softboxes and light stands won't reassure them your intentions are non-commercial. It will look utterly commercial.

Your biggest problem (other than the ignorance of the authorities) may be obstructing people, and someone may rouse on you for that alone.

Personally, I wouldn't use such a setup in such a place, but having said that, I've never attempted to do so.

If you're really keen to do the shoot, you may need to seek permission from whatever anti-photography bureaucracy 'owns' the pavement, and possibly even pay fee$.

reaction
29-06-2011, 6:53pm
Well the light stand would be held by a person, and it won't be a big one. But I agree that a person with 2 DSLRs or 2 people with DSLRs shooting a person would look professional to a ranger.

Maybe I'll just use a bare flash on a stick. A few sticks...

JM Tran
29-06-2011, 7:29pm
there is nothing wrong with doing it, if you get told to move along - then move along. As someone who shoots regularly in Sydney CBD with all sorts of lights and assistants, I say go for it - who dares wins. Dont get in the way of ppl in busy areas thats all.

tim71
30-06-2011, 6:01pm
G'day reaction,

you could go small using one of these? or similar from Honl

http://www.lastolite.com/ezybox-speedlite-softbox.php