PDA

View Full Version : Macro 35mm or 50mm

Floribunda
28-06-2011, 9:14pm
I haven't done much macro and up to date have been happy with the lens I have to do closeup work.

I am thinking of purchasing either the 35mm or the 50mm. There is a big difference in price and I am wondering if starting out with the 35mm would be a good idea, or do I bite the bullet and go for the more expensive 50mm.
I am not that interested in portraits, it would be used mainly to get inside flowers and photograph insects.
If anyone has either of these, I would appreciate some feedback or advice. Thanks.
Lyn.

Ross the fiddler
02-07-2011, 4:20pm
G'day Lyn.
It's nice to find another friend here. :)

I have the ZD35 macro & haven't really put it to much use as light for really close macro work is a little more of a challenge (& some bugs run away if that close), but maybe floral work would be quite good, especially for it's price. I've tended to use the ZD14-54 II lens more because of it's nice close focussing ability & also larger aperture (& it is normally on the camera for general use). The ZD50 macro is (by reports) a really sharp lens but for true 1:1 macro the EX25 needs to added to it to get close enough or the more expensive EC20 (2 X converter) for more distance & that would make it a 100mm f4 lens (instead of 50mm f2).

For myself, I went for the Sigma 150mm macro lens but they are running out (or very low) of stock since they've stopped making them for 4/3s. There is also the Sigma 105 macro lens too (also remaining stock only).

I would also pose the question in the UK for some honest answers.

Cheers

Floribunda
02-07-2011, 4:48pm
G'day Lyn.
It's nice to find another friend here. :)

I have the ZD35 macro & haven't really put it to much use as light for really close macro work is a little more of a challenge (& some bugs run away if that close), but maybe floral work would be quite good, especially for it's price. I've tended to use the ZD14-54 II lens more because of it's nice close focussing ability & also larger aperture (& it is normally on the camera for general use). The ZD50 macro is (by reports) a really sharp lens but for true 1:1 macro the EX25 needs to added to it to get close enough or the more expensive EC20 (2 X converter) for more distance & that would make it a 100mm f4 lens (instead of 50mm f2).

For myself, I went for the Sigma 150mm macro lens but they are running out (or very low) of stock since they've stopped making them for 4/3s. There is also the Sigma 105 macro lens too (also remaining stock only).

I would also pose the question in the UK for some honest answers.

Cheers

Hi Ross - I had to check my eyesight to make sure I was on the right forum when your reply came in! ;) I am easily confused! :D
Thanks for taking the bother to reply - I have also posed this question on the UK forum - there was quite a helpful thread there already.
I have now purchased the 35mm Macro - figured the price was just to good to pass up and it will give me an opportunity to see if I have the patience for Macro. No doubt the 50mm may have been better, but didn't want to outlay that amount just now.
I am thinking more of my floral photographs, where quite often there is a little bug in the centre of the flower.
Looking at some of the macro work on the forum it will be a long, long time before I post anything!

olympuse620
03-07-2011, 9:38pm
Looking at some of the macro work on the forum it will be a long, long time before I post anything!

As soon as you have some work to post - get it out there. Everyone here is very friendly and are more than willing to give you some constructive criticism. You need to know what is wrong to improve and a lot of the time we miss things in our own work.

Ross the fiddler
03-07-2011, 10:17pm
Hi Ross - I had to check my eyesight to make sure I was on the right forum when your reply came in! ;) I am easily confused! :D
Thanks for taking the bother to reply - I have also posed this question on the UK forum - there was quite a helpful thread there already.
I have now purchased the 35mm Macro - figured the price was just to good to pass up and it will give me an opportunity to see if I have the patience for Macro. No doubt the 50mm may have been better, but didn't want to outlay that amount just now.
I am thinking more of my floral photographs, where quite often there is a little bug in the centre of the flower.

Lyn, just a hint with the ZD35 macro lens, although it will auto focus (which isn't fast being a macro lens) it would probably be better to switch to MF for close up work to get the focus exactly where you want it, such as the eyes of a spider in amongst the petals of a flower. Hope you have lots of fun with it.

Cheers,

:flowersnap: :D

Floribunda
06-07-2011, 10:53am
Lyn, just a hint with the ZD35 macro lens, although it will auto focus (which isn't fast being a macro lens) it would probably be better to switch to MF for close up work to get the focus exactly where you want it, such as the eyes of a spider in amongst the petals of a flower. Hope you have lots of fun with it.

Cheers,

Thanks Ross - At the moment I am feeling a bit daunted and feeling as if I have bitten off more than I can chew - especially when I look at Huw's work!!! :(
My MF has needed work for a long time, so now I must bite the bullet and get stuck in! :)

:flowersnap: :D

Floribunda
06-07-2011, 10:55am

As soon as you have some work to post - get it out there. Everyone here is very friendly and are more than willing to give you some constructive criticism. You need to know what is wrong to improve and a lot of the time we miss things in our own work.

So true - Thanks. This is a great forum and a great place to learn. :)