PDA

View Full Version : NR - D4 and D400 to be announced in August

kiwi
28-06-2011, 4:43pm
http://nikonrumors.com/2011/06/27/nikon-d4-and-d400-in-august-d700-replacement-still-in-the-air.aspx/

zollo
28-06-2011, 5:18pm
D4:party6:

JM Tran
28-06-2011, 5:24pm
I am eagerly waiting on a D4 and will look at aquiring one in the near future:)

kiwi
28-06-2011, 5:36pm
I'll speculate that ISO will go to 51,200
MP to 24 based on sony sensor
HD Video

nothing else really matters :)

JM Tran
28-06-2011, 5:58pm
I would really like to see and NEED a high speed connection for either USB3.0, Firewire 1600/3200 or the new Thunderbolt, preferably Thunderbolt. For my commercial and studio use.

The lack of a high speed connection on the Pentax 645D was a big put off for myself and other professionals who need to use it tethered but cannot deal with the slow transfer rate of its USB 2.0, big mistake from Pentax. Lets hope Nikon can rectify this oversight.

robcran
28-06-2011, 6:01pm
I'm rather hoping the D400 is to the D4 as the D300 was to the D3.

Xebadir
29-06-2011, 1:41pm
Rob, talk is that it will be equipped with the Sony 24MP APS sensor, as to other stuff, haven't seen much in the way of rumors regarding the metering or AF systems. I'm sure more of that will leak out with a bit of time though. Will be interesting to see if the D400 goes more to the professional camera style body (somewhat larger), rather than a smaller body, the D7000 has given them a bit of room to move on this.

I'll be watching closely as to what the D4 offers, though won't be getting one for some time, nor will anyone who doesn't have the NPS connections, the demand will outstrip the available supply for some time, similar to the D3 rollout. I sincerely doubt Nikon will have cleaned up its inventory issues such that it has a large enough stock for a professional camera demand. I would guess that it could take til mid 2012 for people to get their hands on one without the connections. And thats before one gets to the affordability issue (can you say Nikon pricing).

The downer with this is that it shows the D700 replacement to be a long way off the table and probably a 2012 outcome...which will disappoint some people who have been waiting for it.

kiwi
29-06-2011, 2:49pm
Good luck trying to get a d4 or a long telephoto in Olympics year :)

JM Tran
29-06-2011, 2:58pm
Good luck trying to get a d4 or a long telephoto in Olympics year :)

and Euro 2012 in Poland next year right before the Olympics:)

kiwi
29-06-2011, 4:12pm
apparently even second hand anything over 300mm is hard to come by already

zollo
29-06-2011, 6:26pm
I'll speculate that ISO will go to 51,200
MP to 24 based on sony sensor
HD Video

nothing else really matters :)

these would be nice specs for sure. i dont know if it will have 24m pixels though. From what little I know about camera sensors, apparently they do not have the technology to clear a 24mp image off the sensor at a frame rate above/around 10, quickly enough, resulting in a film like double exposure. So seeing as the d4 is (if tradition continues) aimed at sports photographers amongst others it wouldn't add up. Unless of course they now have the tech, in which case this post is redundant effective immediately

kiwi
29-06-2011, 6:37pm
I missed my main gripe with the d3 is the lack of focus points outside the dx area

swifty
29-06-2011, 8:10pm
I missed my main gripe with the d3 is the lack of focus points outside the dx area
+1

Wayne
30-06-2011, 12:14am

+1

And another.

I watch very closely with interest.....

maccaroneski
30-06-2011, 12:48am
I'm going to wait for the D4s.

virgal_tracy
30-06-2011, 4:06pm
I'll be more than happy to pick up a D3s when the people who have to have the latest tech start to offload them to get the D4

twister
01-07-2011, 10:26am
I'm waiting for the D700 successor still...get faster Nikon...

snappysi
02-07-2011, 8:32pm
Anyone have any ideas as to the possible price of either ????

ecopix
02-07-2011, 9:17pm
The D400 is the overdue one in this announcement. We need a tough bullet-proof pro DX sized camera with usable 1600ISO and A3 at 300dpi with sports capability. In other words, fast at 17 megapixels. Second, we need a compact and affordable 24mp full framer to hang over the shoulder. It's shameful that Nikon hasn't had a D800 Canon 5D2 equivalent for at least a year already. Camera models come and go but the Nikon corporate character remains the same: use what we tell you to use, not what you want, you bastards.

Kym
02-07-2011, 10:04pm
What's a D400 going to have that a D7000 has not?

snappysi
02-07-2011, 11:01pm
Tell you in a month Kym !!!!

kiwi
02-07-2011, 11:11pm
Anyone have any ideas as to the possible price of either ????

i'll guess, rrp d400 $3200, d4 $6500

kiwi
02-07-2011, 11:12pm
What's a D400 going to have that a D7000 has not?

thats a fair question, id expect it to go to d3s territory re iso and focus speed, but yeah, who knows

Kym
02-07-2011, 11:22pm
thats a fair question, id expect it to go to d3s territory re iso and focus speed, but yeah, who knows

It's sort of like Canon and the 600D and the 60D squeezed below the 7D. The D7000 be a very fine piece of gear, the D400 will need to have something special and a bit.

I.e. D7000

16.2MP CMOS sensor (More MP? What about the limit of diffraction?)
1080p HD video recording with mic jack for external microphone
ISO 100-6400 (plus H1 and H2 equivalent to ISO 12,800/25,600)
39-point AF system with 3D tracking (Faster?)
New 2016 pixel metering sensor
Scene Recognition System (see 2016 pixel sensor, above) aids WB/metering + focus accuracy
Twin SD card slots
3.0 inch 921k dot LCD screen
New Live View/movie shooting switch
Full-time AF in Live View/movie modes
Up to 6fps continuous shooting (maybe 8+ on the D400)
Lockable drive mode dial
Built-in intervalometer
Electronic virtual horizon
Shutter tested to 150K actuations

I @ M
03-07-2011, 4:21am
The D400 is the overdue one in this announcement. We need a tough bullet-proof pro DX sized camera with usable 1600ISO and A3 at 300dpi with sports capability. In other words, fast at 17 megapixels. Second, we need a compact and affordable 24mp full framer to hang over the shoulder. It's shameful that Nikon hasn't had a D800 Canon 5D2 equivalent for at least a year already. Camera models come and go but the Nikon corporate character remains the same: use what we tell you to use, not what you want, you bastards.

I find a few things in your post a little strange so as to better understand it,

By whose time line is the D300s replacement overdue?
What area of the D300s needs more 'bullet proofing"?
What do you need faster than 7 fps for?
Why do you need 17 mega pickels to print a 16x24 inch image?
Why do you need a compact 24 mega pickle FX camera?

The way I see things is that Nikon are a business pretty much like many others. They need to record a profit or at the very least break even at the end of each year in order to supply you with a camera body. I am fairly sure that both their financial & marketing depts assess the wants of the majority of the consumers against the financial needs of the company when they embark on designing/producing a new/upgraded camera body which is built for one purpose and one purpose only.
The purpose of that camera is to relieve you of your hard earned and to contribute to the retirement fund of the staff at Nikon.
Simple really.
I would like a washing machine that loaded itself, had a built in bulk detergent dispenser so that I don't have to bend down to the cupboard and feed the greedy beast one scoop at a time and then automatically decided whether it had a load of work clothes or "delicates" and set an appropriate wash cycle so that I didn't have to push buttons and turn dials.
Somehow I think that there may be a few other people out there that want a similar machine but obviously we are not in the majority as the machine manufacturers haven't made such a beast ( at the price I want to pay ) yet.
Funnily enough I don't call them bastards because they only deliver what the need to ensure their company returns a profit but neglects to build that which I would consider to be an essential bit of gear in the laundry. :rolleyes:
I want my 3.0 L 2wd diesel ute to accelerate from 0-100 in under 6 seconds while leaving blackies up the side of Ayers Rock but we all know that it aint gunna happen unless I buy a V10 Volkswagen.

Tommo1965
03-07-2011, 11:50am
im not hanging out for a new camera body..im still battling with getting a decent Nikon kit together with out going broke ...next on the horizon are two SB700 flashes .

a new body will be at least 1-2 years away for me ...so for me at least...the wait for the next new thing from Nikon is irrelevant...

but if it was a FX body at 24 Mpixels with low D3S noise at 6400ISO and great DR { like a Pentax K5/ D7000 or better } ...and priced at $3000 au.....I would save for such a beast ....

Photophil2010
03-07-2011, 12:07pm
I find a few things in your post a little strange so as to better understand it,

Why do you need 17 mega pickels to print a 16x24 inch image?

The way I see things is that Nikon are a business pretty much like many others. They need to record a profit or at the very least break even at the end of each year in order to supply you with a camera body. I am fairly sure that both their financial & marketing depts assess the wants of the majority of the consumers against the financial needs of the company when they embark on designing/producing a new/upgraded camera body which is built for one purpose and one purpose only.
The purpose of that camera is to relieve you of your hard earned and to contribute to the retirement fund of the staff at Nikon.
Simple really.
I would like a washing machine that loaded itself, had a built in bulk detergent dispenser so that I don't have to bend down to the cupboard and feed the greedy beast one scoop at a time and then automatically decided whether it had a load of work clothes or "delicates" and set an appropriate wash cycle so that I didn't have to push buttons and turn dials.
Somehow I think that there may be a few other people out there that want a similar machine but obviously we are not in the majority as the machine manufacturers haven't made such a beast ( at the price I want to pay ) yet.
Funnily enough I don't call them bastards because they only deliver what the need to ensure their company returns a profit but neglects to build that which I would consider to be an essential bit of gear in the laundry. :rolleyes:
I want my 3.0 L 2wd diesel ute to accelerate from 0-100 in under 6 seconds while leaving blackies up the side of Ayers Rock but we all know that it aint gunna happen unless I buy a V10 Volkswagen.

No need for disparaging remarks about the people of Ularu.:lol::lol:

swifty
03-07-2011, 7:24pm
24mp DX with noise levels like the D3s would be awesome but I think it won't happen. I think that's a performance leap way ahead of the curve.
Even 24mp FX at D3s noise levels would be quite a feat.
Not saying it won't ever happen but I just think not yet.

But does anyone else feel the high ISO performances are good enough already, especially with the likes of D3s.
Maybe the sports and wildlife shooters will disagree.
But of course any improvements will still be welcomed.
Personally I've never shot above ISO 3200. Maybe I have but i don't remember doing it.

Rumour has it that there's something about a new AF system that's not like anything we've seen before. I have no idea what that could be though.

kiwi
03-07-2011, 7:51pm
Of course in sport I'd be very happy to have useable iso at 25000, I need to shoot up their quite a bit, but, the real benefit of improvements in very high ISo is that improves noise at 400, 800, etc

For example d3 at iso1600 is much the same as iso400 on the d300

snappysi
03-07-2011, 10:55pm
With an announcement expected in August, and with the current situation the way it is in Nikonland, any takers as to the actual "in the shops" date ? I think just short of christmas would probably be fair.....

Simon.

Wayne
03-07-2011, 11:37pm
I have recently moved my D3 on in anticipation of a release later this year. I kept the D700 as it almost as much camera as the D3, more compact without the grip and will still get excellent re-sale value once superseded. I thought used D700 sales will cannibalise the D3 sales once the D700 replacement arrives, and right now you can sell a used D700 for almost the price of a new grey import in the USA.

Big question for me is will the replacement D3/s/x series in the supposed D4 be a quantum leap forward enough to justify what will surely be the hefty introductory price, Vs the declining cost of what is a proven performer in almost every way in the D3s.....
My Amex is shaking with anticipation.

swifty
04-07-2011, 10:50am
Big question for me is will the replacement D3/s/x series in the supposed D4 be a quantum leap forward enough to justify what will surely be the hefty introductory price, Vs the declining cost of what is a proven performer in almost every way in the D3s.....
My Amex is shaking with anticipation.

+1
I guess this is one of the reasons the pro gear only gets a complete ground-up update every four years.
We're more likely to see significant break-throughs and introduction of new technology in the August announcements.
But the D3 introduction was so significant at the time of launch that it'll be hard to live up to those sorts of expectations. I hope the technology march still produces a surprise or three but I'm realistic about it. Just hope that the problems with the natural disaster don't affect production too significantly. Otherwise it'd be an agonising wait to try out the new gear as most ppl have predicted.

kiwi
04-07-2011, 10:53am
some additional speculation about the D4 is that it will be 17mb at 11fps, 51 pt edge to edge AF points, built in IR trigger, tilting LCD screen

Wayne
04-07-2011, 3:09pm
If ^^^^ comes true and if with ISO performance of the D3s, my Amex is 1/2 way out of my wallet now.

richardb
10-07-2011, 6:07pm
...also the D800 rumors for many years now...? http://nikonrumors.com/
I can't stop laughing now.

I @ M
10-07-2011, 6:20pm
I can't stop laughing now.

Why?

jim
10-07-2011, 7:03pm
To be fair, this was worth a laugh:

You can now attach Nikon lenses to an iPhone 4 (http://nikonrumors.com/2011/07/07/you-can-now-attach-nikon-lenses-to-an-iphone.aspx/)

(http://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/iphone-slr-mount-a2ce_600.0000001310003192.jpeg)

(http://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/iphone-slr-mount-nikon.jpeg)

ecopix
10-07-2011, 9:45pm
Andrew, you asked specific questions:
In a word, Canon's!

The D300 is bullet proof. I was differentiating it from the D7000, which, as noted, has similar specs to a putative D400, but in a lighter construction. I find in my work that the extra toughness of the D300 line is essential - far fewer trips to the doctor for my D300 bodies than my one lighter (Canon 5D2) body.

7's okay, 5 is too slow to risk missing the decisive moment.

Why do you need 17 mega pickels (sic - I like it!) to print a 16x24 inch image?
You don't. You need it to sell to stock agencies. Corbis' standard is a minimum of over 5,000 pixels on the longest dimension. Many stock libraries are adopting this standard. If you shoot smaller you have to interpolate the file for submission, and the pixel peepers at the agency see a file that doesn't look so good at 100% view. I agree it's silly - 12mp is plenty - but it's a competitive world and you have to shoot to the standard wanted.

17 would be fine. An FX camera over the shoulder is nice to have on a shoot, as you have to have a second body anyway, and it gives you different angles of view with the lenses you're carrying. And maybe a speed advantage when the light fades.

Regarding whether we need higher speeds, yes we do. Orders of magnitude higher. Anyone who doesn't want a million ISO is locked into tunnel-visioned photography. There are so many subjects awaiting capture that are currently impossible to photograph without the dreaded flash gun.

I love the D300, and admit that I'm yet to use mine to their full potential, but as Nikon's DX flagship, it's looking a bit small these days for stock work, and doesn't give the freedom to crop for tele work.

Best wishes,
Wayne

swifty
10-07-2011, 10:46pm
Anyone who doesn't want a million ISO is locked into tunnel-visioned photography. There are so many subjects awaiting capture that are currently impossible to photograph without the dreaded flash gun.

I won't comment too much about why you need or don't need a million ISO. Perhaps I am tunnel visioned... I dunno.
But there are some real physical problems with shooting at light level which require a million ISO, assuming its because of low light that you're using those ISO speeds. Will your eyes be able to see what you're photographing? Will the AF work, even if your eyes can't see. What would be the DR limitations at those speeds. You loose a stop of DR each stop ISO you increase don't you?
Of course there will be circumstances where the high ISO will be needed, to increase shutter speeds for example, and not because its pitch black.
Perhaps astrophotography might be an area of benefit, I'm not sure. Also most definitely in sports and wildlife.. as I've noted in one of the posts above.
Flash guns ain't all bad though. Its just often used in poor ways and therefore has a bad rap.

I @ M
11-07-2011, 8:35am
Wayne,

Timeline, Nikon is basically on schedule with their seemingly established replacement cycle, if you think that Canon have a better option, buy a Canon.

Bullet proof, ok, the D300s is up to the task so I see no reason that the Dxxx will be any less well built. The D7000 never entered into my thoughts in this thread as it simply isn't a replecement or substitute for any of the Dxxx series bodies.

If 7fps is ok and what you need then I would have assumed that you would already own a battery grip to give you that speed.

The mega pixels!!!! I see now, if stock photography is your bread and butter then I guess you have to give them what they want. I assume that you are going to be the first in line to buy the new higher mega pixel count body when it comes out seeing as the sale of your stock images should pay for it within a year?

The compact full frame wish, ok, you have reduced the mega pixel count that you need from 24 (post #19) to 17 (post #38) but i still don't know why you consider the Canon %D to be superior, if it is then just use it. After all, if it delivers the good s for stock photography then it will pay for itself quickly.

You say that the D300s doesn't give you the freedom to crop for tele work so I guess that you just need to get your 600mm lens a bit closer to the prey to enable a satisfactory crop. You are using a professional grade 600mm lens to take your professional level stock photography aren't you?

arthurking83
11-07-2011, 7:42pm
I think that which ever way we look at it all, there is one indisputable truth about these 'rumoured' Nikons ... Nikon will maintian whatever feature strategy they had signed off on all those months ago despite what any one 'really wants'.

if we wanted half the features we all seem to pine we'd never have purchased our D300's, D3's, D3s's, x'es, 700's and 7000's.

What ends up happening is that there will be an incremental change to the camera's specs over the last model, and even tho we don't get our much needed gigapixel beasts with a million ISO, we still do what Nikon expects us all to do..

... and that is, as soon as we can afford it we acquire the latest model in the range and rave on about how it's perfect, more than we wanted and the best thing since sliced bread.
This is the way it has been done for generations, and will be the way it's done for generations yet to come.

That's it! Lecture over! :D
Sermon finished.
You can all go home now, leave on your Sunday best, head straight on over to the nearest camera store and begin your vigil at the main entrance in anticipation for these almighty goods to appear.

:p

reaction
28-07-2011, 1:49am
7's okay, 5 is too slow to risk missing the decisive moment.

OK, I'm not a pro, so what I'm about to say may be completely wrong. But IMHO fps is not for catching a decisive moment, it is for among other things capturing a sequence of moments. When I want a decisive moment I shoot in single mode. When I want a series for a person diving into a pool I use fps.

And as for stock work, I think that's a tiny minority of a tiny minority of togs in the world, let alone Nikon customers. I hear MF and LF is popular for stock work too.

reaction
28-07-2011, 1:52am
Well now it's confirmed, tho it's still speculation what will be announced, and of course when the announced bodies will be available.

Seems bets are split btwn DX + FX body or 2 x FX body.
I'm due for a new purchase soon, wonder if it's worth waiting til after the date to see if there's a price drop. :th3:

JM Tran
28-07-2011, 2:02am
got credit card ready and 15 weddings in 5 months to look forward to using a D4!

but rationally, I should just wait a bit for reviews to come out hehe

ricktas
28-07-2011, 7:20am
I've merged some threads here, to keep the site tidy

gqtuazon
28-07-2011, 8:53am
I don't know if I can part with my D700. It's been a great camera and i still enjoy using it. I'm not a pro so it may take a long while before I pull another trigger and once the prices have stabilized.

reaction
29-07-2011, 11:00am
Yeh, hoping for a D700 price drop, I've been looking at prices and while other bodies are now back to pre-quake prices, the D700 is only getting more expensive!

gqtuazon
29-07-2011, 12:46pm
Yeh, hoping for a D700 price drop, I've been looking at prices and while other bodies are now back to pre-quake prices, the D700 is only getting more expensive!

That could only mean that the next D700 replacement will be at least $3,000 USD as it's MSRP.:eek: Just like when the D700 was released.

I @ M
29-07-2011, 1:02pm
That could only mean that the next D700 replacement will be at least $3,000 USD as it's MSRP.:eek: Just like when the D700 was released.

Did you honestly expect that it would be cheaper? :scrtch:

Wayne
29-07-2011, 3:32pm

You can bet on it!

The D700 as I have previously predicted will maintain a high used value due to it being such a great body, and the want for many upgrading from DX. I suspect many are waiting for the replacement to come out hoping the used D700 price will drop, but as the replacement is no doubt going to be priced well above current used D700 prices, that will only keep the D700 used price high. Only once the replacement body starts to fall off in price will we see the D700 follow suit. The D700 is much sought after and lots of people are paying todays price on the used market without hesitation.

gqtuazon
29-07-2011, 3:43pm
Did you honestly expect that it would be cheaper? :scrtch:

Hahaha! Silly me. :D What was I thinking? A higher performance FX body that cost less than the current MSRP of the D700? :Doh:

I'm expecting most D700 owners to sell or upgrade their camera body to the newer model, so we will probably see a lot of used D700 in the for sale section similar to what I saw when the Nikon 85mm f1.4G came out. The NAS BUG is too powerful sometimes. I might not be able to resist if that hits me.:rolleyes:

I @ M
29-07-2011, 4:09pm
Glenn, resist the urge. :D

It won't worry me, the only things that I can "fault" with the D700 are the viewfinder coverage and that the base iso of 200 would suit my purposes better if it were 50. Having the focus points cover more of the view finder area would also be a step in the right direction but still not a deal maker or breaker. Inevitably video will be an inclusion along with probably a higher mega pickel count but those things aren't enough to make me want to go broke spend on a new body. :)

gqtuazon
29-07-2011, 4:27pm
Glenn, resist the urge. :D
It won't worry me, the only things that I can "fault" with the D700 are the viewfinder coverage and that the base iso of 200 would suit my purposes better if it were 50. Having the focus points cover more of the view finder area would also be a step in the right direction but still not a deal maker or breaker. Inevitably video will be an inclusion along with probably a higher mega pickel count but those things aren't enough to make me want to go broke spend on a new body. :)

August 24 was the predicted and now confirmed announcement date from Nikon Officials based on what NR have posted on their website. I agree with the subtle improvements might not be worth the upgrade but IF the sensor is two stops better or it can provide similar cleaner image output at higher ISO (like the D3s), that might be something that I could use and worth the upgrade. I hope Mrs Santa might be more understanding (again) this year. ;) I am not a big fan in using the video feature either but it's something that I might be able to use on certain occasions.

reaction
29-07-2011, 6:10pm
I really doubt your wish of two stops, as the backlit tech only gave us a bit under a stop imho and only gave marked improvement in underexposed shadow areas. Haven't heard of any other major breakthrus. Given the MP count will skyrocket that will also pare back any new tech improvement in SNR.

kiwi
29-07-2011, 6:33pm
I can guarantee a two stop advantage, it's nikons prize asset over d3 upgrades compared to the evil empire

swifty
30-07-2011, 1:40pm
I can guarantee a two stop advantage, it's nikons prize asset over d3 upgrades compared to the evil empire

2 stops advantage over the D3s or 2 stops better than the competition.
Either way that's a pretty big call, I hope you're right though.
Personally I think if pixel count goes to 20+mp and noise remains around a D3s that would already be awesome (and base ISO at 100). Or sub 20mp but with ~1 stop better noise characteristics.

zollo
30-07-2011, 2:06pm
Wayne,

The D7000 never entered into my thoughts in this thread as it simply isn't a replecement or substitute for any of the Dxxx series bodies.

I hope you are kidding with that comment. its the best dx nikon by far. iq is miles ahead of my d300s and i decided that it is also good enough to stop me buying a d700 until the new model comes out. my d3s stays firmly put at the top of the heap though (obvious)

I @ M
30-07-2011, 2:21pm
I hope you are kidding with that comment. its the best dx nikon by far. iq is miles ahead of my d300s and i decided that it is also good enough to stop me buying a d700 until the new model comes out. my d3s stays firmly put at the top of the heap though (obvious)

Sorry to dash your hopes zollo but my opinion is that it isn't a substitute or replacement for the Dxxx series bodies because it doesn't have the control set or body strength that some may require.
It also doesn't seem to sit in my hand as well as the other bodies.
Granted, it has brilliant image quality and performs very well in most aspects but those reasons alone don't qualify it as better all over than the Dxxx series bodies. My assumption is that the D300s replacement will continue the tradition of a more advanced control set and build over the D7000 / D90 range and then trump it again with IQ. ( obviously at a price )

zollo
30-07-2011, 3:45pm
I agree its not as comfortable as the dxxx series and yes some functions take longer to get to.

Lance B
30-07-2011, 4:12pm
The D7000 is a great camera, but I would love that sensor in a D300s body. That way, I can seemlessly move from my D700 to it as they would be similar in their functions. As it stands, the D7000 can be a little fiddly when compared to the D700.

mongo
30-07-2011, 11:10pm
Mongo thinks the rumours are wrong and that there will be no announcement until at least March, 2012

zollo
31-07-2011, 1:53pm
lol, mongo, that would take the wind out of a few sails. however an announcement of some sort is a definite in august

BuDWiZe
31-07-2011, 4:09pm
im not sure of the truth to it but ive heard the d4 may be using sonys new translucent mirrorless sensor tweaked by nikon.

agb
31-07-2011, 4:55pm
I will be glad when the rumours are reality and we can stop reading about rumours:D

N*A*M
03-08-2011, 6:24pm
but then the d5 rumours will start

Kym
03-08-2011, 6:48pm
http://nikonrumors.com/2011/08/02/august-24th-nikon-d700-and-d3s-successors.aspx/

Today I received some information confirming Thom Hogan’s latest post (probably from the same source?): Nikon will announce D700 and D3s successors on August 24th, 2011. The D700 replacement will be available in Fall 2011 and the D3s replacement will be available at the beginning of 2012. Both will be produced in Malaysia. The D700 successor will have 24 MP, the D3s successor will have 18MP. Both cameras will have new AF-system and many new “astonishing” feature.

But no medium format announcement?

nightbringer
03-08-2011, 10:02pm
I'm hanging out for the D700 successor, if nothing else then perhaps I can score a cheapish D700 + grip. Or drop that huge wad of money and splash out on the new D800(?).

RRRoger
04-08-2011, 12:56am
http://nikonrumors.com/2011/08/02/august-24th-nikon-d700-and-d3s-successors.aspx/

Looks like a wild guess to me.:eek:

I would be very surprised to see a 24mp FX D700 successor late this month.
It is not due for another year.

Also doubt that Nikon will outsource all their camera production when they have better quality control at home.

The D300 successor is due (4 year cycle) to be the next camera release.
Whether they use the proven 16mp Sensor from the D7000 or the new 24mp DX sensor from Sony is anybodies guess.

kiwi
06-08-2011, 1:21pm
Inside info from Thom Hagen

"Basically, the crowd reading this site is interested in five cameras: the expected new Nikon mirrorless, and the replacements for the D300s, D700, D3s, and D3h. I believe I've called some of this wrong, so I'm now going to try to correct my predictions:

D700 replacement: August 24 announce, October delivery.
D3s replacement (D4): August 24 announce, December delivery to NPS pros.
Nikon mirrorless: January CES announce, February delivery.
D300s replacement: February announce, delivery shortly thereafter.
D3x replacement: not predictable at the moment, but late 2012 seems to be the earliest plausible possibility."

snappysi
07-08-2011, 6:53pm
I may be wrong, but i just dont see Nikon releasing 2 full frame bodies at the same time....

Simon.

BLWNHR
11-08-2011, 12:02pm
Talking to my local store owner, he confirmed there is a lot of discussion about these models and there will definitely be a new crop frame release before the end of the year, and the "specs look great!".

I'm actually quite interested in the mirrorless body after looking at the Sony versions in a store on Monday.

Sar NOP
11-08-2011, 8:25pm
No money maker model to be announced ??? :D:D:D

swifty
11-08-2011, 8:38pm
No money maker model to be announced ??? :D:D:D
Nikon's financials look pretty good. They've revised their forecast for the better.
All roads lead to D4. The million dollar question is what else??
I reckon both D800/D400 wil be announced (not necessarily shipped) this year but probably the D700 replacement announced with the D4. Maybe a few missing FX lenses too on the 24th :)

nightbringer
12-08-2011, 12:40am
Regardless of what they announce I'm definitely going to be blowing a big wad of cash on SOMETHING Nikon related and new by the end of the year I think.
I just hope it's an 'affordable' FX body, that would be the best.

Bchip
12-08-2011, 2:33am
Clenching my cheeks in anticipation of the D400.

Not all that keen on any full frame bodies, but curious to see what they'll do with the successor to the D300s.

gqtuazon
24-08-2011, 3:21pm
Mongo thinks the rumours are wrong and that there will be no announcement until at least March, 2012

Mongo is right.

Coolpix listed below from Nikon's website:
http://www.nikon.com/index.htm

NikonUser
24-08-2011, 6:04pm
If that's all they have to announce then there will be a lot of disappointed peeps out there !

kiwi
24-08-2011, 6:40pm
Pppffffzzzzzzzzzer

gqtuazon
24-08-2011, 8:26pm
At this stage, I think I'm better off getting another pro lens. :D

swifty
24-08-2011, 8:54pm
Booo...!! :P
I still say D4's around the corner.

NikonUser
24-08-2011, 8:57pm
Booo...!! :P
I still say D4's around the corner.

I agree. I don't think Nikon would stop all of their employees from taking leave for the next few weeks just for a few coolpix.

arthurking83
24-08-2011, 10:43pm
With the Sony A77 now out of the closet, the D400 should follow in a couple of days or so.

Hopefully the D400 will have similar specced video ability, and if so, I may even consider this as my next update option if their cheapest Fx camera has lesser video ability.

BTW, A77 is going to be a hard bit of gear to beat for the D400 .. and at the initial listed price(US $1400) you'd be mad to consider a D7000 over an A77! .. never mind a D400!

Otherwise all I'm hoping for is a D700 priced Fx camera with good video ability.

OH! and in terms of cronological order, cast your collective minds back to 2007. Approximately August in 2007, and on about the 23rd of , Nikon announced the D300 and D3, but then proceeded to announce the rest of the Coolpix range a week later(30th).

Considering that they're using a Sony sensor, my bet is that they're honouring some kind of gentleman's agreement with Sony, to allow Sony a few days of the photography spotlight, and then they'll announce the real stuff themselves. And then Canon will enter the fray with some uber model with a specification that will trump Nikon's newly announced beast, and so on and etc, ad infinitum ......

BLWNHR
24-08-2011, 11:30pm
And then Canon will enter the fray with some uber model with a specification that will trump Nikon's newly announced beast, and so on and etc, ad infinitum ......

And follow it with recalls and firmware updates to fix some fundamental floor, hahaha.

RRRoger
25-08-2011, 12:24am
And follow it with recalls and firmware updates to fix some fundamental floor, hahaha.

The problem with Canon is that their "specs" usually exceed the capabilities of their products.
Nikon is much more conservative.

The new A77 (Sony) really ups the anti in video and stills.
I can't wait for the D400 announcement.
It should trump the A77 high ISO a ton.
I only hope it has 1080 Video at 60fps or I won't get one.
Next week/month?

phototyke
25-08-2011, 11:19am
mongo knows!

mongo
25-08-2011, 8:15pm
This is the one time Mongo hopes he is wrong because he wants Nikon to get on with it !

Mongo must say, Arthur’s reasoning (gentleman’s agreement and possible timing) appears to have some real possibility and merit.

Lets see what happens – ooops, sorry, that is what we have been doing for a long time. Mongo guesses, a little more of the same won’t kill us – maybe just P**s us off a little more

zollo
26-08-2011, 1:34am
24mp on a crop sensor? pass...

JM Tran
26-08-2011, 9:59am
24mp on a crop sensor? pass...

hahahahaha I feel the same

the A900 was no jewel when it came to ISO800 and above either, and thats on full frame

arthurking83
28-08-2011, 2:59pm
I see no reason to believe that more pixel density is only a negative. Until we see the pictures from the actual camera(and not just the particular sensor, as both Pentax and Nikon had shown with the Sony 16Mp sensor, each manufacturer has their own philosophy when it comes to sensor to output software.
Only actual sample images will tell the whole story. Of course diffraction limitation may be an issue that is well set and not negotiable.. unless the manufacturers have distorted physical limitations in some manner.

On the whole, I'm the same, and feel the same way when it comes to pixel density and increasing numbers. Not beign tied to one particular genre of photography, having the flexibility to adjust the pixel count as your needs require is far more important than simple numbers!
That is, I'd rather see fewer pixels, and features such as the ability for pixel combining at the time of capture for those times when it may help capture the image, such as instances where higher ISO, lower light, better dynamic range is required. For those times when pure detail counts(say birding, macro or whatever.. nothing beats sheer numbers!)

I'd be inclined to wait until the images surface before closing my mind to the idea of 24Mp on an APS-C sensor!

I also reckon this coming week will see the D400, with the same 24Mp sensor.
Whatever else Nikon sees fit to announce concurrently I think will be of lesser significance as there is most likely to be nothing else to compare it too anyhow.
A D400 has to perform.. absolutely, no ifs or buts about it. The competitor(A77) is already out there, and at the price we expect to see it at of mid to high $2K, it has to be a lot better than the A77.
Just because it's a Nikon, or a D400.... and that it's better than the D300s, is insignificant.

knumbnutz
28-08-2011, 10:36pm
I see no reason to believe that more pixel density is only a negative.
Only actual sample images will tell the whole story. Of course diffraction limitation may be an issue that is well set and not negotiable.
I'd be inclined to wait until the images surface before closing my mind to the idea of 24Mp on an APS-C sensor!

I also reckon this coming week will see the D400, with the same 24Mp sensor.
Whatever else Nikon sees fit to announce concurrently I think will be of lesser significance as there is most likely to be nothing else to compare it too anyhow.
A D400 has to perform.. absolutely, no ifs or buts about it. The competitor(A77) is already out there, and at the price we expect to see it at of mid to high $2K, it has to be a lot better than the A77.
Just because it's a Nikon, or a D400.... and that it's better than the D300s, is insignificant.

I wouldnt say insignificant...
Sony doesnt have the lens selection that Nikon has and wouldnt be able to get there for years, so while they might a one stage or another produce a better camera, they wont have the rest of the gear to do it, including flash system although that me be easier than lenses.
Like all tech things, these advances will bounce between companies and they will play tit for tat, but either way once people have made a decision to invest in a system it is very expensive to change, and that will be a crucial thing in this economy.
I dont think it will be too long to wait for the D300s and D700 successors or 5Dmk27

Kym
28-08-2011, 11:17pm
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm

10" print, viewed at 25cm, standard eyesight, 24MP 1.5 crop factor sensor ... the limit of diffraction happens between f/5.6 and f/8 i.e. you are losing sharpness at f/8 .... puke!

That is pure physics

disruptfam
31-08-2011, 12:19am
I have a feeling no NEW DSLR's will be announced/released until next year -___-

Hopefully I'm wrong.

RRRoger
31-08-2011, 1:00am
Let us wait and see what September brings.
I only expect a D300 and D3 replacement, but

I am hoping for the D700 upgrade instead.
The only Sensor that seems ready is the one from the D3s.
I could be very happy with that.

The other hopeful announcement is the long overdue AF-S 80-400.

Can someone start a poll on what Sensors we would like to see in the next cameras?

super duper
31-08-2011, 1:36pm
well that was a bit of a let-down :(

agb
31-08-2011, 2:18pm
well that was a bit of a let-down :(
Probably one day to go in Japan.
But it is not looking hopeful is it.

arthurking83
07-09-2011, 10:00pm
Unsurprisingly NR got it just as wrong as they did every other time! :p
(then again, I think we all did!.. I really thought that Nikon march to a specific timeline, but now it's obvious that they don't!.. bastards :D)

RRRoger
13-09-2011, 12:18am
The "new marching order" my be for a new DSLR release September 15th?
Last year Sony announced the a580 on August 24th, the D7000 announcement followed on Sept 15.