PDA

View Full Version : .TIFF noise in preview

macdog
25-06-2011, 2:37pm
Could be a silly question but why are my .tiff photos so damn noisy even at 100ISO when viewed in Preview (MAC app) then when converted to jpeg are normal again?
Is it because theres more detail (pixels) in the .tiff photo...

Damo77
27-06-2011, 1:46pm
Can we take Preview out of the equation for a moment? What about if you view the Tiff in Photoshop?

It sounds like a Preview problem (not being programmed to render a Tiff file properly) rather than a problem with the file itself.

ving
27-06-2011, 2:29pm
i cant think of a valid reason as to why this would happen. have ykou tried other programs?

soulman
27-06-2011, 8:33pm
Seems like it must be a rendering issue with Preview if the images are OK once converted to jpeg. I also just tried viewing a selection here and they look fine - not especially noisy.

ricktas
28-06-2011, 6:59am
Agree, preview is probably not really showing the TIFF, rather a rendering of the TIFF file in some easy and quick format (after all a preview to me is like a draft print out). If you print a draft quality copy of a photo it is not good, print the same one again in full photo quality and there is a world of difference.

Damo77
03-07-2011, 8:43am
What was the outcome of this, Macdog?

Tjfrnds
03-07-2011, 11:27am
I find the same thing. Lots of noise in preview, but tiff images are fine when viewing with DPP, photoshop, iphoto etc.