PDA

View Full Version : err on d90

matilda
25-06-2011, 12:18pm
i'm talking the blinking err (according to the user manual it's "camera malfunction" and it's in relation to the release shutter).

I had the ERR code come up last year, when my shutter got stuck in the up position. I sent it away to camera clinic (in melb), it cost over $400 to repair (I had insurance so only set me back $100).
The err code has come up again, on the same camera, that had repair done.

I just want to know if anyone else has had this problem.

It's def the camera and not the lens. As I've tested the lens that was on the camera on my other camera, and it works fine.
I've taken the batter out, still same code.
I've reset the camera, same problem.

Just wanted to find out if there is anything else I should try.

I'm going to Melb during the school hols, so if it still has "err" it will be going to the 'camera clinic'

ricktas
25-06-2011, 12:54pm
take the memory card out and then put it back in, sometimes they get a bit dicey and need a reset into place. My D200 does this sometimes. May not be a solution for you though.

Photophil2010
25-06-2011, 1:50pm
I have a memory card with a little lock switch on its side and sometimes I have accidently locked the card. This causes an error or a flashing (E) where the amount of available shots is displayed on the top screen. My camera is a D90 and I haven't had a problem otherwise.

matilda
25-06-2011, 5:21pm
yeah i tried that too.

I even reformated the memory card while the camera (there was nothing on it anyway. Still get the same problem.

I even tired a diff memory card.

richardb
26-06-2011, 4:12am
Dear Matilda,
No worries ,
ERR means no lens contact between lens and D90 body.
Remedy is : Dismount the lens - Clean the contacts with (pharmacy) alcohol = remove greasy stuff - Mount the lens again - and ERR should be gone from ur display.
Reason is the mounting ring dimension tolerances built up, microns too much slack, and the greasy / stained contacts do the rest , due to insufficient contact preload.
Read this (all !) http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikon_d90_users/discuss/72157610348455714/ , you'r not the only one. :)
Have help out a colleague with this issue...he's a smiling man now....no need to send to Nikon Customer Support, you might loose the cam completely.

:gday:

matilda
28-06-2011, 8:09am
I cleaned the contacts... numerous times, still get the same code. Might try it one last time.

thanks.

arnica
13-07-2011, 3:16pm
What type of lens have you got on the body?

I remember that error appearing on my d90 when I had manually set the aperture ring on one of my lenses. Try upping the aperture size on the lens and then re-seating the lens onto the body.

Darey
13-07-2011, 3:55pm
As stated above by Arnica, many lens have a separate Aperture ring and you need to set the aperture at maximum (eg;- on Nikon 80-200mm set aperture on f 22) and then lock the aperture using the little aperture lock. Hopefully this is what is causing your problem and the camera it self is ok.

matilda
16-07-2011, 10:01pm
nope not either of that, s that is one of the things that I did, and I tested a different lens, and tested the lens that was on the camera on another nikon and it worked fine.
The aperture unit needs to get replaced (according to the repairer).