PDA

View Full Version : Remote shutter operation

Tonym
24-06-2011, 6:52pm
What do I need to operate the shutter of my 50D by remote? I have it mounted on my tripod with the 100-400 lens and find I need to be carefull when pressing the shutter button so as not to move the camera even slightly

screamer
24-06-2011, 7:22pm
You'll need to get a remote trigger release for maximum flexibility. Canon make a few and there are plenty of third party remotes.

A quick process without a remote is to set up the timer to delay (2 or 10 seconds I think on a 50D). For a 400mm lens on a crop camera, I'd also set the mirror to locked up to further minimise vibration. (IS off of course on a tripod - assuming the lens has IS).

Tonym
24-06-2011, 10:06pm
I never even thought about turning off the IS, must remember to do that.

Judyd
25-06-2011, 7:34am
for my 5DII i bought the canon TC 80N3 Timer Remote Controller ... it wasn't cheap but its an intervalometer, a timer so you can set it for however long you want the exposure, and as a self-timer it can be set for minutes and hours not just 2 or 10 seconds. Its a really handy piece of kit - wired though, not wireless.

bushbikie
25-06-2011, 5:26pm
+1 to what screamer said, although I mainly do landscapes and don't need the wireless trigger so I have the TC80N3 wired remote - if I was to get a wireless remote I would be looking at the PocketWhizard range of remote triggers.

terry.langham
26-06-2011, 9:33am
I have a Yongnuo intervalometer for my 50D and it has been great and a fraction of the cost of a Canon item. I also have a set of RF602's which operate as a wireless remote release and they have been flawless as well.

terry.langham
26-06-2011, 11:15pm
I have a Yongnuo intervalometer for my 50D and it has been great and a fraction of the cost of a Canon item. I also have a set of RF602's which operate as a wireless remote release and they have been flawless as well.

Well my $45 Intervalometer went swimming on Saturday while I was up to my thighs in a rock pool. After taking out the batteries and allowing it to dry out thoroughly before reinstalling them, it is now working perfectly. Wouldn't have been too concerned if it was a fatal swim, didn't cost much in the first place so no great loss.

Bennymiata
27-06-2011, 10:51am
I've got a really cheap $25.00 wired remote that also does time lapse photography, long exposures and delayed exposures - and it looks and works just like the expensive Canon version.
Works really well.

redhead65
29-06-2011, 7:41pm
I've got a Phottix Plato C8 wireless remote on my 50D that I purchased on eBay last year. I'm really happy with it. It does everything that the wired Canon version does for approximately $45. +1 to what screamer said... especially re: switching off the IS when your camera is on the tripod. I ruined a lot of photos on my first night shoot because I had the IS turned on.