PDA

View Full Version : I am in need

agb
23-06-2011, 1:06pm
I need a Canon owner in the Redlands bay area( Cleveland is where I live) who would be prepared to put my EF 100mm f 2.8 macros usm and my EF 70-300mm IS USM onto their camera body to see if they are functioning properly so that I can find out if it is my camera (7D) that has to go back or the lenses. Currently the 100mm will not focus at all if it is starting from about 0.5m and then say has to focus at 5m. And the 70-300 will also not focus if it is set at 300mm and I try and focus say on a distant object and then back to a near object. I rather suspect that it is the camera, but to find out which it is I need to put the lens on a different body and see if they function properly.
All items are still under warranty, just that the lens are with Canon and the Body with the retailer, so they can not all go back to the one place. Just one of the small drawbacks of using grey importers. I have sent a pm to one of the forum members who lives nearby but have not yet got a response so thought that a broader approach may be worth a try too.

davearnold
23-06-2011, 5:32pm
I will be down that way Sunday afternoon, if you do not find anybody to help before then .

agb
23-06-2011, 6:12pm
Thank you. I have decided to go on a Redlands camera club outing on Saturday , at least the EF-S 15-85 lens seems to perform so I will have a camera to use. Perhaps someone there might be able to help, but I will let you know the outcome.

mrDooba
23-06-2011, 6:42pm
I finish work at 4:30(ish) on Friday(tomorrow). I'll be in Wellington Point. If you like we can meet somewhere in the middle? :)

agb
23-06-2011, 7:34pm
I finish work at 4:30(ish) on Friday(tomorrow). I'll be in Wellington Point. If you like we can meet somewhere in the middle? :)
Thank you. That would be marvellous. I would have no problem getting to Wellington Point if that is what would suit you best, or as you say, anywhere in between.
Should I pm you my phone number?

mrDooba
23-06-2011, 9:19pm
Sorry just got back to this post. If you'd like to send me your Phone number. I'll take my camera to work.

We could meet at the actual "Point" if that suits you? How does 5pm Sound? I should be finished and down there by then and We'll have 30mins of light.

agb
23-06-2011, 9:28pm
Emailed you my phone number and 5 pm at the point is great thanks. I will pm them too.

bushbikie
25-06-2011, 5:30pm
And.......??? :)

colinbm
25-06-2011, 6:43pm
Did you check the batteries power ?
Col

agb
25-06-2011, 8:02pm
And.......??? :)
Sorry to take so long to respond. Been out to the Brisbane Tramway museum today to do a bit. The EF-S 15-85 still works with no problems. The tests were a bit inconclusive. Need to have another test. On my camera the problems still exist.
Colinbm. the battery is/ was at full capacity down to about 75%., so I do not think it is anything to do with the battery.

agb
26-06-2011, 6:34pm
Well today thanks to Jules I had the two EF lenses on a 40D, and they both work fine, but then her 50mm seemed to work fine on my camera, as does the EFS 15-85. However it does seem like it is my camera does now not like the EF 100mm f 2.8 macro usm, nor the 70-300 f4/5.6 IS usm when it is at 300mm.
Thanks Chris for you help too, with the 40D is seems more conclusive, my camera and those two lenses do not mix.So looks like the camera and those two lenses have to go in for checking.

mrDooba
26-06-2011, 6:54pm
Sorry to here that you have to send the gear away :(

agb
26-06-2011, 6:58pm
Sorry to here that you have to send the gear away :(
Me too. Last thing anyone needs for their camera to play up. But it is a piece of machinery and someone sometime is going to have a problem. Just wish it was not me. Thanks for your help.

pmack
26-06-2011, 7:12pm
let us know what happens, curious as to what the problem is. sure it's not a contact issue?

agb
26-06-2011, 8:11pm
let us know what happens, curious as to what the problem is. sure it's not a contact issue?
It could easily be a contact problem, but I have cleaned the lens and the camera contacts.
Seems something to do with the EF lens and not the EF_S lens

davearnold
26-06-2011, 10:09pm
I had somethnig similar happen a couple of months ago, was out with Kerri ( kadon) , I was using my 7D with 17-55 F2.8, and swapped to her 100 macro L and it would not auto focus, then tried her 24-105L, again no auto focus, took lens's on and off, 17-55 continued to work, bizarre thing is I then put my 24-105 on and it was fine.

That would be at least 6 weeks ago now, and have swapped lens's numerous times ( between 8 different lens's) and have not had it happen again.

I put it down to dirty contacts, as in some contamination on Kerri's Lens that through use has been removed, as tried 100 macro L again just recently and no problems at all .... so hopefully will never happen again ..... not sure if this is the problem you are having but symptoms are similar.

bushbikie
27-06-2011, 11:38pm
If you haven't already sent the gear back for checking please try a couple of other things first.

1) As silly as it sounds try using another (good) battery if you have one available or can borrow one.

2) Try gently cleaning the contacts on both the battery and the battery contacts inside the camera. You do not want to exert too much pressure and damage them. I have used a pair of long-nosed pliers and pieces of Pelikan brand synthetic pencil erasers - the soft white rubber one, and NOT the abrasive type. Also be mindful of any eraser garbage left in the camera's battery cavity, although you should not have been rubbing hard, just a gentle swipe over the contacts.

Good luck.

Analog6
28-06-2011, 7:24am
Clean the gold contacts on camera and lens as a first try at fixing the problem.

agb
29-06-2011, 8:15am
If you haven't already sent the gear back for checking please try a couple of other things first.

1) As silly as it sounds try using another (good) battery if you have one available or can borrow one.

2) Try gently cleaning the contacts on both the battery and the battery contacts inside the camera. You do not want to exert too much pressure and damage them. I have used a pair of long-nosed pliers and pieces of Pelikan brand synthetic pencil erasers - the soft white rubber one, and NOT the abrasive type. Also be mindful of any eraser garbage left in the camera's battery cavity, although you should not have been rubbing hard, just a gentle swipe over the contacts.

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion about the battery, but the camera works perfectly well with a different ,EF-S lens on it, only plays up with the two EF lenses I have. I did try cleaning the contacts with the lens cleaning alcohol , I would not use the rubber on the camera as I was too concerned that bits would get in to the camera body.

agb
29-06-2011, 8:16am
Clean the gold contacts on camera and lens as a first try at fixing the problem.
Thanks Odille, I have tried cleaning the contacts but seemed to make no difference.
The camera and the main offending lens, the EF 100f2.8 macro usm lens, are headiing off to Sydney by courier today I hope.