PDA

View Full Version : Travel costs

Adrian Fischer
23-06-2011, 12:02pm
All you Pro togs out there,

What arrangments do you have for travel cost. Im talking local, within 100k of cbd? Do you charge (or have you paid someone) for travel in those circumstances?

Thanks

kiwi
23-06-2011, 2:13pm
Yes, and yes. I include the time travelling in my hours. I'd expect at pay that too for a subby.

By the way, did you see my Facebook pm ?

ProPho
23-06-2011, 4:07pm
Travel within 50km of Melbourne CBD is included in our rates. Charge per km after that - having said that if the site is 55km from Melbourne CBD we'll probably waive the fee!

Redgum
25-06-2011, 5:42pm
Adrian, it depends what type of work you're quoting on.Generally speaking though anything within Bris metro is free of additional charges.

JM Tran
25-06-2011, 5:54pm
Adrian, it depends what type of work you're quoting on.Generally speaking though anything within Bris metro is free of additional charges.

Redgum is right:)

I cannot even give u an estimation if I dont know what the job is first. It really depends on the type of photography I will be engaging in and what sort of client it is.

for something simple like a family portrait session in the city I will not be charging travel expenses. But nor would I even take the same job 200km away from the city:)

For my wedding photography, my highest package includes the costs of travel expenses in it - for all major cities, regional areas is a different ball game, let alone overseas.

James T
29-06-2011, 8:47pm
100K is generous I think. Like Redgum, metro is free, beyond that charge per K, and/or for flights, etc. whatever is cheaper while still being practical. Obviously consider accom. as well if it's very large distances.

Longshots
03-07-2011, 9:59am
FWIW - It depends on the job.

So I agree with Redgum - but in addition:

Most of my work is relating to Commercial work, where in general the entire fee is agreed in advance, and unlike a portrait or a wedding style job, I'm not going to be making any further potential sales ie prints/albums etc.. So I need to ensure that I've covered myself for all costs relating to travel and overnight costs.

Some jobs are worth it to me to include the travelling cost and time into the understanding that the job is worth enough for me to travel. And that may include overnight costs.

However as a foundation basis, I have a "first 35klms" included in all of my costs, after that I charge so much a per klm. That cost per klm includes my time and actual travel costs.

But I dont always use that :) Which is when it takes it back to the "depends on the job".

Its worth noting that I recently had to get an expert freelance Ink Jet Printer repairer out to "fix my printer". He's based in the western suburbs of Brisbane, while I'm at the extreme Eastern Suburbs - which I'm well aware of thee 1 hour driving each way. He quoted a fee for travel time of over $100, plus his min fee to attend, which I would have loved for him not to have charged, but I did completely understand and agree with. Thats business.

Flights - I always charge for my time as well as for my actual costs, and I always include the check in times. Accommodation and overnight costs, I have a basic fee to cover that cost, and what I consider to be extra costs involved with being away from home. Thats something that you'll find you'd need to work out what you would charge if its required.

All of my comments relate to commercial work, and not wedding or portrait, which is entirely different IMHO.

Redgum
03-07-2011, 10:22am
And if you do extensive international work that's a whole new element. But of course, costing jobs is a business activity and little to do with photography in general.
I recall Rick saying quite often, learning business is just as, if not of greater importance than the trade itself. Gaining a business qualification is essential these days. Anyone can take photos.

winterstorm
15-07-2011, 11:59pm
We generally dont charge for travel but then again we dont often get called out to many places with the exception of weddings which none have been further than 45 minutes...but, we do pay ourselves any travel time and also any others we bring along thats needed for the shoot. I would be pleased to just have any travel expenses covered for interstate or overseas at this point in time, a nice excuse for a getaway!

Sobriquet
25-07-2011, 9:30am
I build average travel expenses into my first billing hour, that way it keeps it simple.

jasevk
26-07-2011, 4:03pm
Gaining a business qualification is essential these days.

Can't agree with this, one can develop an outstanding business acumen without a qualification. A qualification is nothing but a piece of paper to show that an individual has acquired the skills following a particular pathway... That pathway can still exist in various forms, and without the piece of paper...