PDA

View Full Version : Canon Rocks !!

Lesley Bray
23-06-2011, 8:26am
I guess all the name brands get bad publicity at one time or other, and people easily write about negative experiences.
In that light I would like to share my positive experience with Canon who have agreed to fix my Speedlite free of charge, although out of warranty.
I am overwhelmed with gratitude to them because the $300 repair tag for a $600 item was for me more than daunting.
In my case, the Speedlite had been barely used, less than 100 images, and had been packed away at home while I travelled for eight months - then a further few months before I decided to use it again.
Canon has honoured the fact that I didn't receive fair usage from my product, and I am so happy with them for making the right decision in my case.
Lesley

Scotty72
23-06-2011, 8:32am
Well done.

But, I think Canon may be just recognising their statutory obligation that often extends far beyond the stated warranty period. ie. That the goods be fit for the purpose they were sold. Which, for a flash, would be thousands of pictures, not a hundred or so.

Never the less... a good outcome.

Scotty

dbax
23-06-2011, 9:09am
yep good to hear a positive :th3::th3:

Art Vandelay
23-06-2011, 9:43am
Sometimes these big companies surprise us by being fair & logical in situations like this, instead of just sticking to the fine print :)

mikew09
23-06-2011, 9:51am
I love my canon gear and so far have had excellent service from my kit and is great to be hearing good service from Canon. I have heard a couple of stories similar to this where Canon has repaired out of the 12 month warranty.

PH005
23-06-2011, 10:10am
Just look at what its done. You can't buy this type of advertising. Well done to you and them. :)

Namus
23-06-2011, 12:45pm
That's great to hear mate :th3: Nice to hear a positive story about a big company for once as well

Tannin
23-06-2011, 1:17pm
I have had excellent service from Canon in Sydney, more than once; service above and beyond the call of duty sometimes.

calloyd
29-06-2011, 8:29pm
I love my Canon too, BUT, I recently had a problem with the shutter button sticking - wouldn't pop back up at all. I rang Canon for their advice and got nowhere as it's now 14 months old (1month out of the warranty period). Initial cost would be $50 plus postage to find out what the problem was and that the cost of repairs may be worth more than the camera. When I mentioned again that it was only 14 months old and it hasn't been used excessively or handled harshly I was told in so many words - too bad!! I do understand that they have to draw the line somewhere but I was also disappointed at the offhand, unsympathetic manner of the guy on the other end of the phone.

Not a pleasant experience!

pmack
29-06-2011, 10:07pm
Well done.

But, I think Canon may be just recognising their statutory obligation that often extends far beyond the stated warranty period. ie. That the goods be fit for the purpose they were sold. Which, for a flash, would be thousands of pictures, not a hundred or so.

Never the less... a good outcome.

Scotty

This is very true, and actually only something i recently discovered.

Good to see canon honouring this service without any prompting of the term "statutory warranty".

Actually statutory warranty is a very good reason to buy local rather than grey. Our consumer protection laws are excellent from what i've read and experienced.