PDA

View Full Version : Odd Live View Problem

jim
22-06-2011, 11:52am
I haven't been able to use Live View on my D300 for some time. Not a big deal as I'd rarely if ever use it anyway, but annoying.

Today exploring a bit, I find it works perfectly in Tripod mode, with all my old manual focus lenses, including a Tamron 24 F2.5 on an Adaptall2 mount. But it doesn't work at all on any AF lens.

It works erratically on my Micro Nikkor 105 F2.8 which is an AF lens which is broken and won't autofocus.

In Handheld mode it works erratically with MF lenses only.

Am I missing something here?

Photophil2010
23-06-2011, 8:25pm
Might I suggest that you slowly and systematically eliminate reasons for your problem.
1. try to reset your camera, by pressing the 2 reset buttons (green buttons) on top of your camera whilst turned on. Does live view work?
2. put a lens on that you know is ok (AF-S) and see if live view works.
3. read the camera manual to see if you have missed a setting.
I'm not real familiar with the D300 but I'm sure that others will be able to help.
I think you have done the right thing asking hear at APF, good luck.:th3:

jim
23-06-2011, 8:40pm
Sensible advice Phil, though it leaves me just as mystified.

Live view works with:
Tamron 24 F2.5 MF (ancient)
Nikon 28 F2 Ai
Tokina 12-24 DX
All the above with Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF Teleconverter.

Sometimes works with:
Micro Nikkor 105 F2.8 AF (Broken)

Never works with:
Nikkor 24 F2.8 AF
Nikkor 50 F1.8 AF
Nikkor 300 F4 AF
Nikkor 18-35 3.5-4.5 D AF.

Haven't missed anything that I can see, and completely fail to see any pattern.

Bah!

I @ M
24-06-2011, 6:41am
I'm not a huge user of LV either and trying to figure out what is happening here is a bit weird to me as well.
When you say LV "doesn't work", do you mean that with some lenses mounted it simply doesn't show an image in the lcd or do you mean that it isn't showing focus or focus changes?

jim
24-06-2011, 7:11am
I'm not a huge user of LV either and trying to figure out what is happening here is a bit weird to me as well.
When you say LV "doesn't work", do you mean that with some lenses mounted it simply doesn't show an image in the lcd or do you mean that it isn't showing focus or focus changes?

This. Plus pressing the shutter, In LV mode, does nothing.

I @ M
24-06-2011, 7:24am
OK, when you select live view on the L/H dial and then depress the shutter button fully, do you hear the mirror flip up and see the viewfinder black out?

Sorry, posted the above before your edit. :D

If you are fully depressing the shutter ( as if taking a photo ) and nothing is happening it sounds like a trip to the doctors is in order. :(

jim
24-06-2011, 7:39am
... it sounds like a trip to the doctors is in order. :(

Yes, was afraid of that. Though with a 4 year old camera and a feature I rarely use, I may just have to live with it.

Thanks Andrew.

arthurking83
23-07-2011, 3:26pm
I think with your new lens acquisition, maybe it's time to revisit this old issue.

:D