PDA

View Full Version : nearly got ripped off -Canon 24-70 2.8

britinozz
21-06-2011, 11:20am
I just came back from meeting up with some one from a advert regarding Canon lens and it looked brand new in its box carefully wrapped and looked in mint cond untill i taken the lens cap off and looked at the front element wow it looked like some one had scratched it death phewww i didnt part with my money and put it straight back in the bank he said he didnt know any thing about the scratch but the look on his face said it all.:eek:

kiwi
21-06-2011, 11:35am
Good catch - but, what I would have done was right there offer him 50% as I can almost gurantee that it would not effect photos :)

ameerat42
21-06-2011, 11:44am
Ebay? Reported it?

I disagree with Kiwi insofar as I wouldn't even give the seller the time of night! And as for him being on fire...

britinozz
21-06-2011, 12:42pm
it wasnt ebay i dont want to name the company and i didnt want to pay for a lens that was badly scratched even if it did not affect images .

davearnold
21-06-2011, 12:50pm
Was it a private sale or a shop?

ameerat42
21-06-2011, 3:54pm
it wasnt ebay i dont want to name the company and i didnt want to pay for a lens that was badly scratched even if it did not affect images .

Fair enough, britinozz.

smallfooties
21-06-2011, 4:12pm
Phew indeed!!! Was it on gumtree?
Sure was a lucky catch there...! That's why i don't meet people from gumtree at night because it's difficult to pick up faults in the night! but i'm assuming you met up in the day?
Phew phew phew~

britinozz
21-06-2011, 4:23pm
private sale mate.

Scotty72
21-06-2011, 4:39pm
Even if a scratch doesn't effect the IQ, it should have been declared.

Bear Dale
21-06-2011, 4:53pm
Lucky catch.

kiwi
21-06-2011, 7:38pm
Even if a scratch doesn't effect the IQ, it should have been declared.

No doubt, but still reckon I would have tried it on re price :-)

mickyj
21-06-2011, 9:48pm
hmm, I have seen many articles showing scratches might at worst decrease some contrast (if it is really badly scratched) but imagine if you wanted to resell the lens later ?
Imagine everyone looking at you using scratched lenses. I am not sure how much the person would need to drop the price to make it worth it.

Doninoz
21-06-2011, 10:20pm
Anyway, you don't want a scratched lens on a new camera! I tell people to take your camera and try the lens out on YOUR camera as the electronics can also be faulty and you can't see that!

fabian628
21-06-2011, 11:02pm
No doubt, but still reckon I would have tried it on re price :-)

Maybe worth a go. You can always replace the front element for a few hundred. Most likely not affect IQ in good conditions, but it may cause bad flare in the sun.

----

Did you end up trying it on the camera?

britinozz
22-06-2011, 7:34pm
no didnt try it on camera to be honest i ran a mile when i saw the scratches they looked bad.
i have just got a secong hand 24-105 and its awsum.

Namus
22-06-2011, 8:22pm
Lol speaking of which...listing a couple of my old lenses around; anyhow, got a response tonight from a supposed prospective buyer:

"Hi , thanks for your response...i am really interested in buying this Lens.I would have loved to come and see it in person but i am not in town at this time,i am in Canada on special assignment but i would be buying this for my daughter in Malaysia,but before we proceed, do you accept paypal?...because i only make payment via paypal....its the safest means of making payment as it protect both buyers and sellers interest.so if you accept paypal kindly get back to me as soon as possible..Thanks and God bless"

Not suss at all....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

agb
22-06-2011, 8:25pm
Lol speaking of which...listing a couple of my old lenses around; anyhow, got a response tonight from a supposed prospective buyer:

"Hi , thanks for your response...i am really interested in buying this Lens.I would have loved to come and see it in person but i am not in town at this time,i am in Canada on special assignment but i would be buying this for my daughter in Malaysia,but before we proceed, do you accept paypal?...because i only make payment via paypal....its the safest means of making payment as it protect both buyers and sellers interest.so if you accept paypal kindly get back to me as soon as possible..Thanks and God bless"

Not suss at all....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You've got a potential buyer there, why are you hesitating?

Namus
22-06-2011, 8:34pm
I listed some things on Camera Market a few weeks ago and received an email from admin about this scam....similar to some Ebay scams, where they then declare (after the item is delivered) to Paypal that the item wasn't delivered and then PP won't pay you (or something like that from what I remember reading)

Anyway, I entered one of the sentences into Google: http://www.google.com.au/search?rlz=1C1AVSW_enAU365&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=am+in+Canada+on+special+assignment+but+i+would+be+buying+this+for+my+daughter+in+Malaysia

Maybe I'm wrong :confused013....not gonna risk it though...

agb
22-06-2011, 8:58pm
Sorry, my comment was facetious. should have put a big smiley at the end so that you would have known.;)

Namus
22-06-2011, 9:01pm
Sorry, my comment was facetious. should have put a big smiley at the end so that you would have known.;)

haha lmao <3 agb :th3: :o :D

ytf
23-06-2011, 12:27pm
An interesting article about lens scratches: http://www.petapixel.com/2011/06/16/how-dust-and-damage-on-lenses-affect-image-quality/

gordon_l34
23-06-2011, 1:31pm
Hi,

There is a scam going around where you are paid by PayPal, and a third party picks up the item and then the transaction is reversed. You finish up with no item, no money and possibly the loss of, in the worse case scenario, your ID.
My son had a car for sale and that was the type of deal that they wanted to do. He didn't even reply to their e-mails.
Just beware!

Regards.