PDA

View Full Version : AIPP : Canon Australian Professional Photographers Awards (APPA) : Live streaming

ricktas
20-06-2011, 10:51am
The AIPP has announced that the Canon Australian Professional Photographers Awards will be streamed live over the internet.

The entire days will be covered, including the judging of each and every entry. There is a cost of $5.50 per day (the Awards are over three days). You could choose to watch everyday, or just pick one day with the Genres that interest you.

So if you are interested in seeing judging at this level, Check out the APPA on 24th - 26th June 2011 HERE (http://www.appa11.com.au/index.php)

kiwi
20-06-2011, 11:07am
Just on this, I tuned into the QLD AIPP Awards steaming a couple of months ago and not only was it compelling viewing but it was highly educational also, especially when there was a challenge to a score and the judges had to explain why one awarded it gold and the others didnt and vice versa. Really good.

ricktas
20-06-2011, 12:10pm
Just on this, I tuned into the QLD AIPP Awards steaming a couple of months ago and not only was it compelling viewing but it was highly educational also, especially when there was a challenge to a score and the judges had to explain why one awarded it gold and the others didnt and vice versa. Really good.

I tuned in as well for some of it, and as you say it was interesting to listen to the judges discussing entries. Certainly an insight into judging and can even be educational as far as improving your assessment of your own photos and critiquing in general

Xenedis
20-06-2011, 4:50pm
I have found that by listening to judges, one becomes infinitely more aware of what makes or breaks an image.

Of course, it goes without saying (even though I'm saying so) that not all judges are equal. Some are very picky and others neglect to mention fundamental flaws.

Some judges are very pleasant speakers and offer a lot of insight. It can be quite entertaining and informative to listen to some of them speak.

Others are not quite so good.

It is to be remembered that a judge is simply someone with an informed opinion. Of course, if a judge has a bias for or against certain styles or subjects, that can work for or against you respectively.

When I had the chance to listen to judges at the camera club level, over time I found myself thinking like a judge (and pre-empting judge commentary), as well as assessing images (my own, included) much more critically.

If you can think like a judge, based on having heard quite a few of them offer commentary, it can be helpful when choosing your own images to enter into competitions. We all like to think we've got the stuff, and maybe we do; but at some levels of competition the difference between an award and no award may be a small thing that only very experienced people can discern.

Entering competitions also brings home the reality that being a good photographer and having quite a collection of good images doesn't guarantee competition success.

virgal_tracy
21-06-2011, 10:05am
I can speak only about wedding and portrait photography so please take my comments with that in mind. With the APPA's in particular, there is a core of qualified judges available. They are well known by most, if not all, in the industry. Common practice is for aspiring entrants to send copies of the images they are looking to enter to gain some feedback about the image and what can make it stronger. Most, if not all, will offer some constructive advice from a judges eye (I was lucky enough to have William (Longshots) do this for me.

This creates 2 advantages for the entrant. They are getting advice from a judges perspective on how to improve the image (from that judges viewpoint obviously) and also it gets the image out there so that when it comes up for judging, the judges who have seen it, consciously or subconsciously associate it with the photographer and may be more favourable especially if the changes suggested have been implemented.

A photographer I work closely with I know has done this with approx. 6 of the judges that will be at APPA. Obviously the basics are solid but it helps to know what the judges are looking for. Certain of the higher profile photographers also have a discernable style that again encourages higher marks.

I have also been told that it is not uncommon for entrants to walk around with the images on their iphones, ipads or equivalents to show people in a "by the way" manner to get it known that it is their image. William could possibly elaborate on other tactics used and whether they actually work. I did notice that he placed on his facebook page a recommendation not to post the images until they had been judged.