PDA

View Full Version : Are there different types of models releases?

ricstew
19-06-2011, 9:38pm
I need more hands for something I am working on.....so if I was to ask people/patients at work if I could photograph their hands for my own use/not for sale but for an exhibition of sorts, what sort of model release would I need? Just a standard " yes, you can use my likeness " type? I need roughly 45 sets/pairs of hands..
cheers
Jan

ricktas
19-06-2011, 10:23pm
I would always try and get a 'commercial' release. For now this is a project or exhibition. What happens if someone comes along to see it and presents to you saying they represent a publishing company/advertising company and they want to use one or many of the photos. If you can get a commercial release now, it might be in your interests in future.

ricstew
20-06-2011, 6:18am
Cant imagine anyone would but I suppose its better to cover all contingencies . Wording wise what would be the difference? The subject gives permission to publish but they wont get paid? but in nicer words lol its early!
cheers
Jan

ricktas
20-06-2011, 6:49am
For valuable consideration received, I hereby grant to ______________________, and their legal representatives and assigns, the irrevocable and unrestricted right to use and publish photographs of me, or in which I may be included, for editorial trade, advertising and any other purpose and in any manner and medium; and to alter the same without restriction. I hereby release photographer and their legal representatives and assigns from all claims and liability relating to said photographs.
Name: __________________________________________________
Address: ________________________________________________
Phone: (_____) _________________________________________
Email: ________________________________________________
Signature: ______________________________________________

404shots
20-06-2011, 1:09pm
You can now actually get apps for your android iphone - fill in the blacks and they can sign on your touch pad! you can even take a photo for reference - and saves it as a .pdf and emails you, the client and the model copies of the release. I am testing a few.

ricktas
20-06-2011, 1:33pm
You can now actually get apps for your android iphone - fill in the blacks and they can sign on your touch pad! you can even take a photo for reference - and saves it as a .pdf and emails you, the client and the model copies of the release. I am testing a few.

These are also available for iPhone and iPad. called Easy Release.

kiwi
20-06-2011, 1:48pm
These are also available for iPhone and iPad. called Easy Release.

Mute point - but I thought that you only needed a commercial release for recognisable people....now...Im pretty sure you cant recognise a person just looking at your hands making the whole premise for the thread redundant

ricstew
20-06-2011, 3:07pm
Well I don't have an iphone nor am I likely to get one so the app is a no go......I can print and supply a biro :) Maybe you could recognise people through tattoos or jewellery Kiwi? Better to work under the CARE plan.......cover ar&^, retain employment :)
Thanks for the advice guys.......I will check out the apps and see if there is anything I can use :)
cheers
Jan

achee
22-06-2011, 9:54am
I include the date on which the photos are taken, ie they agree that photos taken on #this# date of them can be used by me for.....

That effectively limits my freedom to come back at another date, take their photo and use it commercially.

geoffsta
22-06-2011, 9:55pm
I am about to do a shoot for the local senior citizens. About 10 olderly ladies are going to dress up in op shop clothes, and they want me to photograph them. I'm hoping to show some of these images on here.
Will the release that Rick has posted cover this event?

EDIT: It's a work related photoshoot. Will this make any difference?

kiwi
22-06-2011, 10:06pm
Shouldn't need one to display photos here, they aren't for commercial use

Complication is whether you are taking photos for work as it's feasible that work would own copyright.....worth researching that some more

geoffsta
22-06-2011, 10:15pm
But they are being displayed on public media without written permission. (I can see this as a grey area. ie. candids & sports)

kiwi
22-06-2011, 10:31pm
It's not grey

http://www.copyright.org.au/find-an-answer/faq-details/id/243/

Longshots
22-06-2011, 10:46pm

Complication is whether you are taking photos for work as it's feasible that work would own copyright.....worth researching that some more

Unless your position of employment includes photography, the position of who owns copyright isnt affected.

Longshots
22-06-2011, 10:47pm
But they are being displayed on public media without written permission. (I can see this as a grey area. ie. candids & sports)

Yep its a grey area

ricktas
23-06-2011, 6:56am
Also remember if you are taking photos of people for 'domestic portraiture', in a paid commercial sense (which the old ladies in op-shop clothing could be), the client(s) own copyright, not the photographer, unless your contract is worded such that gives copyright back to you, as the photographer.

I have seen contracts which state 'the photographer retains copyright' which isn't correct. A photographer cannot retain copyright, when the copyright wasn't theirs in the first place. Make sure your copyright wording is correct, cause the mis-use of a single word, if you end up on court, could be devastating to your case.

The AIPP has some great contracts available for use by members.

geoffsta
23-06-2011, 7:27am
Thanks Rick.
I did google "release form" and found one that covers both myself and the company I work for.
This part of the form should cover what we are aiming to achieve.
"I understand that the photographs taken of me during this session can be used wholly or in part in publications, calendars, exhibitions and for internet, editorial or advertising purposes".

ricktas
23-06-2011, 7:44am
Maybe add commercial as well to that list Geoff. If one of the ladies wants a copy of herself, and it contains images of the others, and you are selling the photo to her, it could be seen as a commercial transaction.

geoffsta
23-06-2011, 8:12am
Thanks Rick.
This is the whole document.

Name, Address and phone number of client

Usage
• I understand that the photographs taken of me during this session can be used wholly or in part in publications, calendars, exhibitions and for internet, editorial or advertising purposes.

• The photographs may be used to represent an imaginary person and any wording associated will not be attributed to me personally unless my name is used.

I acknowledge that by signing this form, I give up all claims of ownership, income, editorial control and use of the resulting photographs and I assign all copyright ownership to the photographer. Use of the photographs may be granted to third parties, however the photographs will remain the property of Myself and my employer
I have read this form carefully and fully understand its meanings and implications. I acknowledge that by signing this form I give the photographer full copyright and authority to publish the photographs and my agreement to all the terms listed above.

Date and Signiture

peterb666
27-06-2011, 8:36pm
I like the wording of that release Geoff. Nice plain English that most people will have no problem understanding what they are signing.

One point to note it that it appears it does not give you the right to assign copyright to anyone else. This may be a problem if there is a transfer of ownership of your work or you wish to sell the copyright. Just a thought. You should check the implications with someone who is qualified to give a legal opinion.

whytebate
27-06-2011, 9:01pm
Getty's Images also has some freely downloadable generic templates for person & also property - which can also be an issue.

mpot
06-09-2011, 10:41pm
Getty's Images also has some freely downloadable generic templates for person & also property

There are also some freely downloadable templates available here (http://www.arcurs.com/what-is-a-model-release).