PDA

View Full Version : "Mud and Dirt"

William
18-06-2011, 12:28pm
Was wondering how often you clean the lens front Element, I personaly dont clean very often at all , Unless there is an obvious big smudge, If I do it's a quick blow to remove dust, Then Huff on the lens and in a Circular motion use Cotton/Micro Fiber to remove the smudge , Thought this Artical I found interesting , Wondering what your thoughts are on this Subject, Here's the Link to an Interesting read !!

http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html

You'll get a shock at the end :eek: PS : I dont use UV Filters and I wash my NDG Filters in luke warm running water and soap , Thought Id just add the extra stuff - Bill

mikew09
18-06-2011, 12:37pm
Hi William, I seen that article quite some time ago and I could not beleive it. Looking at it again I still find myself sceptical but there you go. I generally only clean my lens when I am trying to get a real good photo. Like if I am going to try some sunrise shots I wil clean the front element before heading out. If I am just going round for a general shoot I don't bother unless obviously needed.

I just normally brush of the dust and then use a lens pen. I alway breath on the lens first and then use the lens pen. I find the pen works really well. Having said that I would be very interested to see if anyone else uses the lens pen.

Mike

old dog
18-06-2011, 1:59pm
good read Bill. I can rest easy now.....and not clean my front element as often..:th3:.

neil70
18-06-2011, 3:14pm
Shooting Motox and not using any filters, my lens gets fairly dirty. I only clean of when it gets a bit of dust on it. my 100-400 has dust on the inside of the element at the moment and does not show up on photos. I still dont let it get as dirty as in the artical though ( I just Can't)

mechawombat
18-06-2011, 4:22pm
I use a lens pen

best thing ever in cleaning the front but all my lens have a UV filter and they get a clean once a year
but only my nifty fifty has no filter