PDA

View Full Version : How do you find inspiration?

enVision
17-06-2011, 8:05pm
So, I've been sitting at home lately. And that's it. I've been working, and then on my days off have been sitting at home doing nothing. Reason is, I've been a little sick with the flu and have been trying to get better. I ventured out a few days ago and went for a drive up the mountains (posted up a couple of pics).

Now I'm starting to feel much better and I'm feeling a bit more confident to show my face in the sunshine (or lack of it), but I face a problem. I want to get out and shoot away, but I can't seem to find any inspiration.

I can't seem to find any ideas on where to go, what to shoot, what theme to pursue. This stays the same for when I'm indoors as well.

Thinking about this, raised a question in my mind. What do you do to get inspiration?

Personally, I try to think of an interesting mental image in my mind, and then decide how I'm going to get that photo. I usually end up diverting off on some weird tangent of that thought and coming up with something completely different, but at least it gives me inspiration to get shooting.

Thoughts?

mickyj
17-06-2011, 8:28pm
I heard a story (I believe it is true) of someone in your exact situation. They found a way to get exciting photos. I admit they had more time than you but they also needed inspiration and went to the moutains. They set themselves a time limit and an exposure limit. They found this forced them to take photos in ways and of things they would not normally take. It forced them to look about and only take that one good shot, not wasting shots. In their case, it was 1 roll of film, 1 photo per day.

In your case (I assume) it is digital so we are not as limited and I assume a days outing ?. Maybe walk around and set yourself a goal of a maximum of 2 photos per hour and no 2 of the same item. This means you have to wander about and investigate. Lay on your back and look up, kick over some leaves under a tree, get a grounds eye view of a stream.

I find I can't plan photos like these. I can't try and work out what I might take, I need to get there and look about. Maybe you could choose a theme like all black and white ? All macro ? All HDR ? Any more than that, I can't plan (Else I will get dissapointed when it does not work out).

.. These are just a few idea's, it might help.

colinbm
17-06-2011, 9:36pm
Curiosity is the cure from bordom. There is no cure from curiosity :cool:
Copl

mechawombat
17-06-2011, 9:46pm
I watch too much National Geographic TV

I am no way a good photographer, but what inspires me is what I see on this site. I see so many great pics from different genres and I go to do that so I can do it

ATM it is waterfalls, Seascapes and long exposures, but looking at the BIRDS I am longing for a 50-500:( as the 70-300mm is not long enough :lol:) but then I might try some macro, I find that learning is what inspires me

Sorry I probably was no help at all

enVision
18-06-2011, 8:19am
Great ideas team. I like the idea of setting a challenge/theme.

William
18-06-2011, 12:17pm
:( I'm in the same Boat at this moment in time, Cant get going at all , It'll come back , It always comes back:th3:

mikew09
18-06-2011, 12:29pm
I pretty much use the same couple of solutions. Over time I have build up a little list of URL's of members and googled photographer's (mostly Landscape theme) who tend to inspire me and when I am at a bit of a loose end and lacking, I hit the forum and url's to view the new photos, this is generally followed by an outing to try and capture a shot with the same wow. Have not got the wow yet but I can see my phases of improvement and each time I learn a little more. I tell myself to never be discouraged even on the days I come home and pretty much dump all the shots :-) - works for me.

I also try to have one lunch break each week or so (hard to find time these days) in the city where I restict myslef, like going out with just the camera and the 50mm bolted on - this is the most challenging thing for me as I am not the artisitic type and really have to ry hard to capture a shot I like. It is like an education day for me.

enVision
18-06-2011, 5:59pm
I headed out today for a drive. Just decided to see where it would take me. I ended up taking nearly all the backroads between Blue Mountains, Lithgow, Bathurst and Oberon. Big day of driving. Heaps of fun and explored a bunch of places I've never seen before. I set myself a theme to get landscape photos. Rolling hills, spaced out trees, large granite rocks.

Unfortunately, I didn't get many photos that I like. In fact, I didn't get many photos because I was driving so much, but the point is, setting myself a theme allowed me to focus on one thing and only see that thing while I was out and about. It was still fun at the end of the day.

Anyone else?

Xenedis
18-06-2011, 6:39pm
Inspiration for me usually comes by seeing 'wow-factor' images.

It inspires me to get out and shoot, as sometimes the motivation just isn't there.

I cannot predict when ideas and inspiration will tap me on the shoulder; I just have to respond appropriately when it happens.

ktoopi
18-06-2011, 8:19pm
Hi
I have two friends who also love photography and we get together each month to share photos with each other that we have taken that month on a chosen theme. On our first get together we all brainstormed a bunch of themes and wrote them on bits of paper. Each meeting we draw a new theme out of a hat and off we go! Some of the themes we have had include water, three, portrait, structures and pets. You could do something similar by yourself. Collect a variety of ideas from magazines, books, this site etc and put them all into a box. Draw one out and have a go! Sometimes it can really force you out of your comfort zone! Hope this idea helps. It works for my friends and I. :)

smallfooties
21-06-2011, 4:34pm
Hello there!
I like to look at images from other people - could be paintings, photos, etc.
If i see something i like... i'd try to copy it for starters then when i'm successful with the technique that caught my eye in the first place, i then incorporate my own style.
It's like when i looked through Michiko Kon's book of pictures - the one where she uses raw seafood and attached them to everyday things like hats and shoes etc... i ended up dissecting frozen feeder rats that you can get from a pet shop and took pictures of the dissection process.. of cos no body part was wasted cos i just fed it to my ferret...

Mark L
21-06-2011, 8:07pm
Thanks smallfooties, I'm sure that will inspire many not to get a ferret :);)

smallfooties
21-06-2011, 8:25pm
whahahahahaa oops!!!!! :p

Coral
21-06-2011, 9:10pm
Hi,
Some great ideas here, especially like ktoopi's idea with the pick a subject out of a box, this would work well for me as i tend to stick with the areas and subjects I feel comfortable with and lack the push to go that extra step, so tomorrow I will write all subjects etc I usually steer clear of and get this moving, thanks

AmyK
21-06-2011, 10:50pm
I normally just browse Tumblr :P

Alpacamike
21-06-2011, 11:26pm
I sometimes feel as you do, I start by taking a photo of myself, which always inspires me to look for a better subject. :)

Tannin
21-06-2011, 11:48pm
<harsh but true>

If you have to search for inspiration, you are looking in the wrong places.

You need to find out what it is that inspires you.

Hint: it needs to be something worthwhile, something with a power and beauty of its own, something subtle and variable, something that changes every day.

For me, birdlife does it. But so do most things in the natural world - flora, landscapes, the play of light on trees. You need to find your own subject, the subject that just keeps you going and going and never seems to get tired or jaded. If you can't find a subject that you care about that much, well, maybe photography is not for you.

If you aren't seeing something you like enough that you would walk around and look at it for hours even if you weren't holding a camera, you are in the wrong place.

</harsh but true>

fisher
22-06-2011, 10:04am
Hi All,

I am sometimes in the same boat. I went out and had one of my best photos ( to me) put on a 1000 by 500 mm canvas and put it up where I would walk past it alot. Then someone saw it and bought it. That worked for me. Also that last sentence that Tony wrote (above) is quite true. If you like photography alot it will come back , dont push it.

Cheers Fisher

terry.langham
22-06-2011, 11:42am
I have a display folder with 8x12 prints from when I began til now. I often browse through it to see the progression of my skills. Mostly it encourages me to continue progressing, but also on occasion I start to think the images are becoming stale and I need to try something a bit different.

Scotty72
22-06-2011, 12:06pm
I try to think of ways of making myself uncomfortable then, doing my best to start to feel - at ease in that situation.

EG. Hanging off a rock at Bombo headland in pitch black was unnerving - but it forced me to think creatively.

Walking up to complete strangers - female and way outta my league trying to make friends. Again, a very nervy situation that forces me to think differently.

Hanging out with a bunch of Nikon users.... :eek::eek::eek:

Dylan & Marianne
22-06-2011, 12:43pm
Usually, from seeing images or footage of pretty amazing places
either that or, amazing shots from places I would have otherwise passed by
Sometimes, while we're on the road, Marianne and I might play a game for a spot we've either been to alot before, or don't find that attractive : The ONE shot challenge to see what we can come up with that previous 20-25mb on the CF card

Geoff79
22-06-2011, 12:44pm
I often get tense when I am homebound because I don't find things to photograph that really speak to me. Which is why I sadly rarely take a photo during the week. That, and I work a 9 hour day that completely destroys any moment I might otherwise find to take a photo.

I am a man of nature and find it impossible to be in beautiful scenery without wanting to take a photo of something. But I'm like others. I take so many photos of land and seascapes around sunrise or sunset and sometimes I look at them all and (as much as I like many) I think I need to do something new and different. I mix it up with my pups, my beer bottle collection, macro shots of flowers, any animal I see in the wild etc, but I generally like nice scenery. Learning new things about my camera and photography continually inspires me to get out there and try new ways of taking the same ol' photos too.

I think as long as I'm outdoors and somewhere appealing, I find no lack of inspiration. But I definitely struggle for inspiration when I'm inside... unless my silly pups are doing something cute.

enVision
23-06-2011, 11:12am
<harsh but true>

Hint: it needs to be something worthwhile, something with a power and beauty of its own, something subtle and variable, something that changes every day.

For me, birdlife does it. But so do most things in the natural world - flora, landscapes, the play of light on trees. You need to find your own subject, the subject that just keeps you going and going and never seems to get tired or jaded. If you can't find a subject that you care about that much, well, maybe photography is not for you.

If you aren't seeing something you like enough that you would walk around and look at it for hours even if you weren't holding a camera, you are in the wrong place.

</harsh but true>

Great post. Definitely harsh but true. However for someone so new to photography, personally I am still trying to find that subject which gives me inspiration.

Not having many images under my belt means that I haven't yet found that subject, which is why I still shoot anything and everything, and is probably why it's so difficult for me to decide which lens I want to buy :(

I think with experience people find 'that subject' but for my skill and experience level, I am searching for that inspiration to simply get me up off the couch and start shooting.

That said, your post has really got me thinking for what it is that inspires me instead of simply waiting for it to jump out at me.

I often get tense when I am homebound because I don't find things to photograph that really speak to me. Which is why I sadly rarely take a photo during the week. That, and I work a 9 hour day that completely destroys any moment I might otherwise find to take a photo.

I am a man of nature and find it impossible to be in beautiful scenery without wanting to take a photo of something. But I'm like others. I take so many photos of land and seascapes around sunrise or sunset and sometimes I look at them all and (as much as I like many) I think I need to do something new and different. I mix it up with my pups, my beer bottle collection, macro shots of flowers, any animal I see in the wild etc, but I generally like nice scenery. Learning new things about my camera and photography continually inspires me to get out there and try new ways of taking the same ol' photos too.

I think as long as I'm outdoors and somewhere appealing, I find no lack of inspiration. But I definitely struggle for inspiration when I'm inside... unless my silly pups are doing something cute.

I know exactly how you feel. Ever find yourself walking around your house with your camera, but just taking photos of the same old stuff? I do haha.

Xenedis
23-06-2011, 4:40pm
Not having many images under my belt means that I haven't yet found that subject, which is why I still shoot anything and everything, and is probably why it's so difficult for me to decide which lens I want to buy :(

Slight tangent here.

There's not much point in buying equipment until you've identified a problem that a given piece of equipment will solve.

In other words, define the problem and then invest in the appropriate solution rather than buying a solution and then trying to find a problem it solves.

To that end, if you're in a position whereby you shoot anything and everything, a general-purpose zoom is a good start.

linusvanpelt
23-06-2011, 5:11pm
I like reading Aus Photography Mag, Capture or something similar. Sometimes though, when you browse these forums or the web, it can be a little bit intimidating rather than inspiring.

WhiteFire
23-06-2011, 6:22pm
I think you're over-thinking it. Just go, and see what looks different through your lens. Get up high, lie on the ground, look around a corner you never do. And get snap happy :)

Terri
24-06-2011, 11:01am
1. Find one object / subject and photograph it as many different ways / from as many angles / etc as you can think of.
2. Shoot mono only for a month
3. Browse "recently updated" sites on pbase (or similar)
4. Browse favourite forums of Ausphotography

Also, just having my camera with me, has me looking at the world with different eyes... so just taking it with me for the day and seeing what there is :)

ktoopi
27-06-2011, 2:10pm
Good luck, I hope this works for you!!:)

pgbphotographytas
27-06-2011, 2:58pm
Some really good advice in this thread, I have had a few times where I have felt like this. If you don't feel like taking photos then don't force yourself.

enVision
30-06-2011, 12:26pm
I was hoping that when I started this thread, others may find it useful too. I agree and think there are many great ideas in here. Maybe not for those of us who are professional, but just something for us to get up and start shooting. You never know where that will take you I guess.

Nikkie
30-06-2011, 12:47pm
I find the mood I let my mood of the day take the photos Ive been trying so hard to take one decent photo of flowers but its getting frusting to say the least I also look around the internet and books if I see that wow factor it's the wow that makes me wanna try it today I am not going on my shoot because 1 I can't trust the rain not coming and 2 I am feeling a little tired and washed up but today I will be going out my front yard and seeing if I can freeze movement like you have been doing with your water falls but with cars living on the Princes Highway means there is lots of cars trucks so on for me to practice with I am not going near those flowers today I got this idea from a manual a friend sent me so now I want to try it as I am still on my L plates I wanna try new things I think we all have a little nitch some place sure most of will say Ill take photos of everything but is there something that you feel is your nitch Im still looking for mine flowers is prob not it flowers and defiantly not too day that is if I can control myself walking past them such beauty is there key for me I think

Chookman
02-07-2011, 11:04am

Gotta agree with Tannin.

dbax
02-07-2011, 1:10pm
Tony (Tannin) makes a good point, but for those new to photography its not always obvious what a wonderful, varied world we live.
Look thru some of the threads in the members 52 challenge and see how others see ordinary everyday objects.
I know when I go out with the family I snap away, when we get home and put the images on the computer the wife and kids say "where did you see that" or " where was I when that happened"or "why didn't I see that" so alot of the inspiration is in the "seeing" as the term is described.
May of us also go thru dry patches or loose our mojo in photography, one just has to keep working away until the eye, the brain and the camera start to work together again( i know I'm going through one of these patches at present)
Want some ideas, pick a word and google Images and see how others have captured that word/object/scene.
Keep at it, it will come together :D:D

Mark L
04-07-2011, 7:59pm
Want some ideas, pick a word and google Images and see how others have captured that word/object/scene.

Go to One Thing Two Days (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?87057-One-thing...Two-days-126-Theme-Photography) in Members Challenges and the word is picked for you. :th3:

opi2kenopi
04-07-2011, 8:05pm
http://www.pixiq.com/article/break-photographers-block

wheellathe
31-07-2011, 3:58pm
Ive been in a bit of a slump lately, but yesterday I bought a new bolt to fix the leg on my manfrotto. and its full steam ahead again.