PDA

View Full Version : Public Liability Insurance

Canon500D
15-06-2011, 9:58pm
For those of you that are not just starting out, but aren't fully professional yet.. do you have insurance and public liability?

I have both. I'm covered for 10k with my equipment, and 5mil for P.L.I.

Just curious

virgal_tracy
16-06-2011, 9:02am
I'm not full time but I won't take on any job unless covered against the unforseen. 10m PLI and equipment cover for $15k. Didn't want to take the risk of household insurance knocking back a claim because I was using the equipment to make money from.

James T
17-06-2011, 1:47pm
If you're getting paid to be there, then you really should strongly consider PL insurance. Many places won't let you on site without a certain level of cover (though few actually check in my experience).

Equipment is your choice, as I don't have 25 grand lying around, I thought it a prudent choice. But then this is my job, if it wasn't, then I'm not sure I would.

Redgum
18-06-2011, 12:34pm
Public liability insurance can work two ways. General coverage, paid annually or job specific and it all depends on what sort of work you are doing, where and when. For instance, if you're doing regular work, say $1k per week, then general PL insurance should be fine. If you're doing two gigs a year say at $25k each then specific PL insurance may be more beneficial. Don't forget that public liability insurance contracts are not blanket coverage but have lots of rules and regulations and conditions so don't assess a policy on price alone or you may get into more trouble than Speed Gordon.
If you have a PL policy and it doesn't cover a specific event (and you thought it did) you can be sued for negligence if the damage is high enough.
Equipment coverage is a separate issue.

Benno11
09-08-2011, 7:51pm
We are in the mist of looking at getting PL insurance as we deal alot with newborn babies and want to cover ourselves. Where do most photographers get theri insurance from and what should you expect to pay?

ricktas
09-08-2011, 8:01pm
We are in the mist of looking at getting PL insurance as we deal alot with newborn babies and want to cover ourselves. Where do most photographers get theri insurance from and what should you expect to pay?

Most insurance companies offer PL insurance. Any comment on AP regarding particular companies cannot be taken as advise as it breaches the site rules. AP is not a registered insurance company/agent and specific advice about companies and policies could breach legislation in some states regarding provision of financial advice. So contact your insurance company and ask them.

jasevk
10-08-2011, 5:17pm
I use ppib

ozbodz
21-08-2011, 6:57pm
How do you find PPIB? Reasonable cost? Are you covered for public liability?

jasevk
21-08-2011, 7:32pm
I insure my gear currently to the value of about $30k, and have $10m liability... PL costs me around $450 and gear around $600 per yr.

I had to make a claim this year, for a laptop stolen from my car overnight. I had a new laptop within a week, no probs.