PDA

View Full Version : Phuket

porsche 911
14-06-2011, 8:21pm
Hi guys not sure where to post this inquiry but I'm off to Phuket on a family holiday in 8 weeks and I'm interested in 2 things a reputable camera equipment shop and places of interest.

Wayne
15-06-2011, 1:43am
I just got back and went to several camera stores (there are not many on the Island) and all were priced well above what you pay for lenses/bodies in USA and in some cases double!!!

JM Tran
15-06-2011, 1:56am
in Phuket town itself, there are some family run camera stores selling at decent prices for important stuff one needs ie. memory cards and batteries. Around Phang Nga road and the backpacking/hostel area.

when you get out to the more touristy areas like Patong its a price gouge and also fakes are more common. If you happen to get onto Phi Phi or Railay or one of the islands, they can and will charge you whatever they like lol

porsche 911
15-06-2011, 6:30pm
Interesting i think I'll just buy on line have had no issues so far. Can you recommend any places of interest not on the usual tourist trails.

JM Tran
15-06-2011, 6:39pm
I would recommend Railay, one of the worlds most breathtaking and best beaches where 100m limestone walls with rockclimbers hang over the beach and cave, the area you can get to via ferry boat from Phuket and takes about 2 hours. I like it more than Phi Phi as its less touristy and more of the arty crowd that goes to Railay.

On Phuket island itself, I would recommend hiring a small car like a Honda Jazz at around 35 bucks per day, works out to be much more cost-effective than using the tuk tuks and crappy public transports, there is no formal taxi service on Phuket so a tourist tend to spend quite a bit getting around.

The northeastern Phuket side of Phang Nga bay is simply gorgeous with its numerous limestone formations in the water. Northwestern side of Phuket is more relaxing and quiet for a family atmosphere.

AVOID Patong beach as much as possible, unless you like being harrassed by sex touts, hawkers, drunken tourists and bogans, call girls, cheap shows etc.

Colinc1
22-06-2011, 1:16pm
Au Nang is another beautiful place, and great for long boat photography, not far from Railay (Krabi)

I found a few camera stores in Bangkok,s MBK that had very competitive prices and similar to the on line grey market prices
for camera bodies, i got a Canon 7D body for 44500 bht 3 weeks ago.

Geoff79
22-06-2011, 1:36pm
These threads make me sad with desire to go back on my holidays. :(

My wife and I went to Thailand for our honeymoon and we stayed on Phi Phi and at the Pimalai in Koh Lanta Yai (Off the north end of Phuket, I think), and both spots were beautiful. Racha Islands - a place we went on a daytrip from Phuket - looked incredible too. On Phuket we stayed at the Evason, which has it's own little complimentary boat which take guests out to it's own little island, called Bon Island. That was nice too.

The same will go for most places there. It's mostly very nice, and if you find the places a bit deserted and can go off the beaten track a little, then there will be photos galore to be taken. I only wish I was as enthusiastic as about photography back then as I am now. I still got some nice shots, but what could have been...

And if you do get to Phi Phi, a day trip around neighbouring islands will reveal nothing but stunning locations too. And many of them in that pocket of islands.