PDA

View Full Version : Colin Filter and adaptor supplies

mikew09
14-06-2011, 4:05pm
Not sure if anyone else have found this problem but in Brisbane I struggled to get adaptor rings for 67 & 77mm filter size. I purchase a nd grad kit last week (p series) but was unable to source adaptor rings. Both the main stores in Brissy have had Colin kit on back order since March with no eta. After ringing around finally found a camera store with some little stock. A lot of on line store have no stock or bac order. One of the stores told me they had a letter from the supplier stating Cokin was under administration and had ceased production pending out comes. Certainly looks like stocks are very low and no eta is known

Well I have my base kit but not sure where this leaves us Cokin owners as we grow our kit - will filters still be available in the future ??

Anyone else found the same?

Mike

Scotty72
14-06-2011, 4:08pm
This has been going on for many months now :(

It doesn't look good:confused013

colinbm
14-06-2011, 4:11pm
There are plenty of other filter makers with the same sizes.
Have a look at eBay.
Cheers
Col

Scotty72
14-06-2011, 4:13pm
I'm not sure if I have remembered right but, Lee were having supply issues too, right?

mikew09
14-06-2011, 4:14pm
This has been going on for many months now :(

It doesn't look good:confused013

Crikey Scotty. I don't know whether to try and stock up on filters I think I may need or not. I assume one of three things will happen. Cokin will trade on and survive. Another company will buy them or flee bay will flourish with el- cheapo look spikes at the same price but half the quality.

Scotty72
14-06-2011, 4:19pm
Crikey Scotty. I don't know whether to try and stock up on filters I think I may need or not. I assume one of three things will happen. Cokin will trade on and survive. Another company will buy them or flee bay will flourish with el- cheapo look spikes at the same price but half the quality.

From all accounts, I would avoid flea-bay when buying filters. The no-name ones especially.

Scotty72
14-06-2011, 4:29pm
Not needing a filter for a while, I hadn't kept up... but

http://www.cokin.com/
http://www.cokin.fr/

the website doesn't look encouraging.

Might be time to think about Hiteck or Lee

Xenedis
14-06-2011, 5:07pm
I'm needing a replacement Lee filter holder.

The spring in mine has become corroded from the ocean, and the filter holder tends to fall off the adapter ring.

I've just ordered a replacement. Expensive!

Scotty72
14-06-2011, 5:12pm
I'm needing a replacement Lee filter holder.

The spring in mine has become corroded from the ocean,

John! yet more equipment lost to the sea.

Xenedis
14-06-2011, 5:16pm
John! yet more equipment lost to the sea.

It's not lost; it's in my camera bag.

It just doesn't stay safely attached to the 82mm adapter ring.

Xenedis
14-06-2011, 7:34pm
I asked my UK-based supplier of Lee filters about the apparent shortage.

He told me Lee is in very short supply, quoting 28 weeks' delivery on new orders.

That's right -- 28 weeks (ie, more than six months).

mikew09
14-06-2011, 8:40pm
So is Lee filters in trouble too? Seems odd for such a long purchase to delivery time. I don't mind so much as long as I can get filters to fit my cokin holder but Lee filters are pretty expensive but I also hear a far superior quality. I have the ND2, 4 & 8 grad filters - recommendations on what others would be useful.. For me I am moving towards Landscape, seascape, sunrise / set photography. The reason for the cokin purchase.

Xenedis
14-06-2011, 8:48pm
So is Lee filters in trouble too?

From what my supplier says, and from the general vibe I get reading around, it seems so.

Seems odd for such a long purchase to delivery time.

I'm not sure what's the root cause of the supply issue.

I don't mind so much as long as I can get filters to fit my cokin holder but Lee filters are pretty expensive but I also hear a far superior quality.

I've only used Lee filters, so I cannot comment from first-hand experience on the Cokins. A lot of people use the Cokins, and they're evidently more readily available, as well as cheaper.

I have the ND2, 4 & 8 grad filters - recommendations on what others would be useful.. For me I am moving towards Landscape, seascape, sunrise / set photography. The reason for the cokin purchase.

I shoot seascapes, landscapes and cityscapes.

I have a GND8, GND4 and two ND8s.

I didn't bother with the GND2, as it's too faint for the harshness of the Australian sky.

I am keen on the Lee BIG Stopper, but for now, stacking my two ND8s and killing a further three stops of light in the sky is giving me quite acceptable smoothing of water.

Scotty72
14-06-2011, 9:16pm
I just wish that Sydney would put on some weather where I actually needed a GND... :(

mikew09
14-06-2011, 9:23pm
I just wish that Sydney would put on some weather where I actually needed a GND... :(

haha - western Qld hasnt been much better of late either Scotty :-)