PDA

View Full Version : Bit depth

rafikicat
13-06-2011, 6:19pm
I've just upgraded to CS5, and when I open my photos (RAW file) in photoshop as tiff files, they are being saved as 8bits/channel, whereas in CS4 they were 16bits/channel - I know I did something to make this happen - but only having only done it once I can't remember what I did - another 6 times before I remember it :)
How do I get them to be saved as 16bits, without having to go into Mode etc. individually.

Tannin
13-06-2011, 6:43pm
It's down at the bottom of Camera Raw, in the centre.

Change it to what you want, then hope like hell that the change "sticks", because it quite often doesn't. (Just another example of Adobe's appallingly bad user interface design "skills", as if yet another example was needed.)

Change the setting, close Photoslug, re-open and see if the change has "stuck". If not, try again, and again, as many times as it takes. Possibly saving the file you happen to be working on triggers it, possibly it's just random - with Adobe, who can say?

rafikicat
13-06-2011, 9:56pm
Thank you Tony, of course when you explained where it was I instantly remembered it. :D
It wouldn't stick at first when I just changed the setting, closed and re-opened the photo, but then
I changed it to 16, saved the photo as a tiff, closed it, reopened it and it has stuck, and works on other photos too.
Maybe that's the trick, as you say.