PDA

View Full Version : We may have missed the boat on this offer.

I @ M
13-06-2011, 9:18am
Seeing as the offer to own an "exclusive collectors' item" (http://www.canon.com.au/en-AU/About-Canon/News-Events/News-Press-Releases/Limited-Edition-Red-EOS-1100D) was limited to only 2,000 units and has been running for 8 days we may have missed out.

Is it just me that sees marketing like this as bordering on obscene or is it the future we all face when we buying a camera, sort of like ordering a new car and "personalising" it with a range of options.

ricktas
13-06-2011, 9:23am
Yeah, sort of like car models. Where they bring out limited editions of Commodores etc. You get the leather trim and maybe a nice sleek spoiler, but give it a few years and your limited edition car is no different to any other clapped out old commodore.

It is just a marketing gimmick that sadly some fall for. After all underneath it is a Canon 1100D and works the same as the black ones.

Xenedis
13-06-2011, 9:49am
I'd prefer an 'L-series-white' model to match my lenses. ;-)

PH005
13-06-2011, 9:51am
Actually, I think it is quite an offer. 2000 units compared to the numbers that Canon sell is pretty small, and it looks pretty smart. They are obviously trying to lure beginners into the hobby that would otherwise think " Derrrr, an ugly black camera, No way Dude ". But a bright Red one. " Hey, look at me " If 10% of the red buyers get hooked and go on to purchase more and better equipment then I think the PR guys have done their job. Maybe one day black ones will be the rare ones. Who knows. By the way Andrew, it's not the "future". It's already here.

I @ M
13-06-2011, 10:03am
Actually, I think it is quite an offer. 2000 units compared to the numbers that Canon sell is pretty small, and it looks pretty smart. They are obviously trying to lure beginners into the hobby that would otherwise think " Derrrr, an ugly black camera, No way Dude ". But a bright Red one. " Hey, look at me " If 10% of the red buyers get hooked and go on to purchase more and better equipment then I think the PR guys have done their job. Maybe one day black ones will be the rare ones. Who knows. By the way Andrew, it's not the "future". It's already here.

More to the point, I think that they ( Canon, Nikon, Pentax etc. ) are seeing a decline in sales of the entry level DSLRs due to the massive improvements in the capabilities of the higher end compacts, the new small form factor interchangeable lens bodies and even mobile phone cameras and as such are starting ( maybe too late ) to try to desperately claw back some sales. :confused013

Xenedis
13-06-2011, 10:07am
More to the point, I think that they ( Canon, Nikon, Pentax etc. ) are seeing a decline in sales of the entry level DSLRs due to the massive improvements in the capabilities of the higher end compacts, the new small form factor interchangeable lens bodies and even mobile phone cameras and as such are starting ( maybe too late ) to try to desperately claw back some sales. :confused013

I'm really not sure why Canon introduced the XXXXD-series of EOS cameras as an entry-level model, when the XXXD-series already served that market.

Analog6
13-06-2011, 10:51am
It's just a marketing gimmick. Persoanlly a red camera turns me right off, although even Hasselblad have done it with the "Ferrari" model. And you can pay $11,000 extra for the privilege of:

"The H4D Ferrari Limited Edition is finished in Ferrari's unique color "rosso fuoco", and bears the legendary Racing Shield. Presented in an exclusively designed and engineered box with a glass top equally labeled with the distinctive Ferrari Racing Shield. Dual layers, one for the camera, with the lens and accessories housed in a separate lower level, are lined with a soft and rich material. This striking case is housed in a special handmade case and therefore is ideal for both storage and display"

H4D-40 Ferrari Limited Edition Camera Kit with 80mm f/2.8 HC Lens (http://www.hasselblad.com.au/hb/index.cfm?pageID=12&subPrdGroup=52&modelID=180&CFID=3545457&CFTOKEN=82492830)

Kym
13-06-2011, 10:54am
Try this Andrew... http://www.camera-pentax.jp/k-r/simulator.php#030407

PH005
13-06-2011, 10:58am
Yes your right I@M. Its all designed to increase sales one way or another. As for the " Ferrari Hasselblad ". Well , if you've got that sort of money to spare. Maybe Rick will put one up as a prize sometime. :D

zollo
13-06-2011, 10:59am
lots of people are willing to pay canon for gimmicks - such as white paint on their lens or a cute red L :p jks

PH005
13-06-2011, 11:00am
Dont laugh Kym. It might be closer than you think.

I @ M
13-06-2011, 11:05am
Try this Andrew...

Uh huh, I think Mr. P started this blasphemy and if Mr. N follows suit I might just buy a Holga.

Now where has that entirely appropriate emoticon gone?

aah found the only one that fits the job description.

:vomit1:

Kym
13-06-2011, 11:16am
You can't get the full range of Pentax Body/Grip/Lens colours outside .jp ... It is for some unknown reason a fashion statement in the Ginza :confused013

Some more 'colour' images ....
http://www.trafegodigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Pentax-K-r-DSLR.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-fM4-Odt6Qdo/TZh298tbNfI/AAAAAAAACsI/xtSgNoq1Pz4/s1600/IMGP2642.JPG

http://cdn.cbsi.com.au/story_media/339301736/CPshow_13.jpg

:lol:

ricktas
13-06-2011, 12:42pm
Yes your right I@M. Its all designed to increase sales one way or another. As for the " Ferrari Hasselblad ". Well , if you've got that sort of money to spare. Maybe Rick will put one up as a prize sometime. :D

A Canon....??? Surely you jest:D

PH005
13-06-2011, 12:53pm
A Canon....??? Surely you jest:D

No ! The Hasselblad. :rolleyes:

Scotty72
13-06-2011, 2:21pm
I don't see the problem. It is Canon trying to find a gimmick to increase the sales for Canon. What else would you expect them to do? If there are people out there willing to be swayed by the livery (rather than quality / functionality) of a camera, good luck to Canon.

BTW, I don't doubt that there are a whole bunch of fools just waiting to be parted from their money.

Scott

terry.langham
13-06-2011, 2:30pm
Makes sense to me. There is bound to be a fair proprtion of entry DSLR buyers that won't be able to discern the differences in brands (if there is any real difference at all) and will be attracted to the red one 'cos it is not black. Then as we all know GAS kicks in and they become a Canonian for life......

I @ M
13-06-2011, 2:31pm
Glad to see there is at least one person that doesn't disagree with their marketing strategy Scotty, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

BTW, I don't doubt that there are a whole bunch of fools just waiting to be parted from their money.

I don't doubt it either, sort of sums up why Canon sell the most number of cameras world wide these days. :rolleyes:

Xenedis
13-06-2011, 2:35pm

They should be directed to nikon.com.au. ;-)

mechawombat
13-06-2011, 3:09pm
They should be directed to nikon.com.au. ;-)
Ouch

*Cuddles his Sony Alpha and smiles cause it is not a Nikon* :lol:

JM Tran
13-06-2011, 3:14pm
I'd be happy to customize a 1D or D3 body in different colours if I could to individualize myself, and I reckon many other wacky pros would too.

Kym
13-06-2011, 3:45pm
Pink D7000 http://www.digitalrev.com/en/guide-on-how-to-paint-your-d7000-pink-7181-article.html

arthurking83
13-06-2011, 4:20pm
..... What else would you expect them to do? .....

For starters, I'd expect to see a bit more value for money factor, but of course that's the 'too hard' option as it will reduce income significantly (across a broader number of saleable items), which will obviously then impact on the final bottom line, which has a follow on effect of depleting the manager's bonuses for the year! :rolleyes:

What ever happened to the good 'ol practise of 'lowering prices to suit market demand'

If demand is currently low for the (better looking) black version, I really can't imagine a thousand would be individualists all looking for that 'different look' in a product all flocking to their local camera stores to purchase this product!

@ JMT!! I'm pretty sure that the last time I checked the definition of individualise it was something along the line of to separate oneself from all others(or any other words to similar effect).
If there are 999 other individualistic professional photographers all carrying the same looking product, do they really stand out as individuals?

Sure .... pull your camera apart and paint it pink if you really need to make a fashion statement to the world, but as far as individualism goes, this(red canon camera) is far from anything like it.

What really worries me is the notion that it's becoming more important now for a trades person to look different, rather than to simply produce individualistic results.

Oh! .... and Nikon fanboys(and girls) need not scoff at this kind of retarded marketing either.
They have been famously noted for their gold plated and crocodile skinned FM series film bodies too in past times.
They seemed to have come in individual high quality packaging and don't ever seem to have been used for anything other than display purposes, and all seem to command a similar amount of money on various e-commerce sites( such as ebay and various European based online stores).
Some of these Gold Nikon F's came with matching lenses as well(50/1.4's) gold plated and numbered to suit.
Difference is that in old days, apparently these individualised Nikon's were originally intended for special persons of some kind(noted as VIP's whatever that means).

eg. HERE (http://www.cameraquest.com/nffagold.htm)(apologies, lizard skin, and not crocodile skin as I once thought it was) and HERE (http://www.cameraquest.com/fmgold.htm).

All I want is 100% perfect ergonomics. Comfy, logical well thought out controls that are easy to operate and with the added bonus of being indestructible.

muggins
13-06-2011, 7:52pm
Yes but does it take better photographs for the fact of being red?:cool:

Scotty72
13-06-2011, 8:16pm
Yes but does it take better photographs for the fact of being red?:cool:

Faster shutter speeds? :cool:

Scotty72
13-06-2011, 8:23pm
For starters, I'd expect to see a bit more value for money factor, but of course that's the 'too hard' option as it will reduce income significantly (across a broader number of saleable items), which will obviously then impact on the final bottom line, which has a follow on effect of depleting the manager's bonuses for the year! :rolleyes:

What ever happened to the good 'ol practise of 'lowering prices to suit market demand'

If demand is currently low for the (better looking) black version, I really can't imagine a thousand would be individualists all looking for that 'different look' in a product all flocking to their local camera stores to purchase this product!

@ JMT!! I'm pretty sure that the last time I checked the definition of individualise it was something along the line of to separate oneself from all others(or any other words to similar effect).
If there are 999 other individualistic professional photographers all carrying the same looking product, do they really stand out as individuals?

Sure .... pull your camera apart and paint it pink if you really need to make a fashion statement to the world, but as far as individualism goes, this(red canon camera) is far from anything like it.

What really worries me is the notion that it's becoming more important now for a trades person to look different, rather than to simply produce individualistic results.

Oh! .... and Nikon fanboys(and girls) need not scoff at this kind of retarded marketing either.
They have been famously noted for their gold plated and crocodile skinned FM series film bodies too in past times.
They seemed to have come in individual high quality packaging and don't ever seem to have been used for anything other than display purposes, and all seem to command a similar amount of money on various e-commerce sites( such as ebay and various European based online stores).
Some of these Gold Nikon F's came with matching lenses as well(50/1.4's) gold plated and numbered to suit.
Difference is that in old days, apparently these individualised Nikon's were originally intended for special persons of some kind(noted as VIP's whatever that means).

eg. HERE (http://www.cameraquest.com/nffagold.htm)(apologies, lizard skin, and not crocodile skin as I once thought it was) and HERE (http://www.cameraquest.com/fmgold.htm).

All I want is 100% perfect ergonomics. Comfy, logical well thought out controls that are easy to operate and with the added bonus of being indestructible.

Why would they invest money in making their products better when they just make it red and some will go, 'Wow! it's red.' whilst reaching for the credit card.

As for the 'limited edition' stuff: Channel 9 has proven that a little hyped marketing gets them in. Look at the 'exclusive edition' cricket memorabilia they sell... 'LIMITED to only 400,000.'

arthurking83
13-06-2011, 8:54pm
.... Look at the 'exclusive edition' cricket memorabilia they sell... 'LIMITED to only 400,000.'

LOL! That one makes me laugh even louder! ... and that's why I have one of each series from day one! .... didn't want to feel that I've miss some type of marine vessel(even tho I get seasick all too easily) or whatever. :D

Well I suppose they( the red cameras) have the advantage of being individually numbered. So they must be 'individual' ;)
(of course all regular camera serial numbers are all the same since the dawn of time. :D)

Scotty72
13-06-2011, 8:58pm
Maybe you can get it as an investment.

You know, just like the 'limited edition' Bradman bats. I think, over the past 15 years, they may actually have increased in value by at least 1%.

Bennymiata
17-06-2011, 5:02pm
I can't see any problem with offering cameras in different colours.
I had a Pentax K-x in all white, and I thought it looked pretty good too and attracted a lot of looks from people.

Canon are also offering the 110D in silver, brown (in Ireland and Japan only I believe) and other colours to follow.

I remember when all cameras were stainless steel coloured with black trimmings, and that the first, all-black SLR's caused quite a stir at the time, and now they are just ordinary and the same as everyone else's camera.

As the 1100 is an entry camera, and many of them will go to younger people, using colour as a ploy to attract them makes perfect business sense to me.

When I bought my white K-x, I asked the saleslady why Pentax make white cameras, but only black lenses, whereas Canon only makes black cameras, but offer white lenses.
It would make a lot of sense to me for Canon to do some of their pro model cameras in their cream colour with a red stripe to match the L lenses.
An "L" camera anyone?

JM Tran
17-06-2011, 5:09pm

well think about what you just wrote Arthur, and think about why pros love the silver colour and backing of Hasselblad, because it aint black.....its purely aesthetics but if and when given the choice of being able to select what our gear colour looks like - do you think everyone would settle for black? Cameras never started out that colour you know, and look at the vintage silver coming back in, with cameras such as the OLY EP1 PEN, the new Fuji X100 etc.

Not to mention the vintage colours of the lomography cameras such as the Diana.

So no, those 999 individualistic professional photographers, if and when given the choice to be able to have whatever colours they want - will certainly not be carrying the same looking product.

Think outside the norm. What might not appeal to you may appeal to millions of others.

ving
17-06-2011, 5:12pm
if its not black, then its just a toy :p