PDA

View Full Version : Lightroom/cs5 problem

J.davis
12-06-2011, 5:40pm
I have updated my computer and software and now I am trying to sort out a workflow.
When I had elements 7 and adjustred images in CS3, they would show up in the Elements Catalogue next to the original file (NEF).
Now when I make a Catalogue in Lightroom of NEF Files and processes and save them in CS5, I cant get the JPEG files into lightroom - i cant find them in the Lightroom system, but can find them in My Pictures.
Any idea of my problem?

ricktas
13-06-2011, 7:14am
Lightroom doesn't auto-add photos processed in photoshop. My understanding of what you have said is:

- import NEF to lightroom
- do some processing
- export to photoshop
- finish processing and save copy in JPG

Using this workflow will not save the JPG into your lightroom catalogue.

J.davis
13-06-2011, 10:19pm
Thanks Rick - seems as though I have to find the JPEGs and import them seperately.

Scotty72
13-06-2011, 11:05pm
Just to add to this - in case you didn't know.

If you open a raw file in Lightroom 3 then, select 'edit in photoshop (Cs5 in my case), any changes you make in Cs5, will automatically be added as a new file in the same lightroom folder (and show up in the photo stream) if you choose to save the changes. I believe this is because Cs5 can't save in the raw format so, will create a new (Dng/tiff). This happens whenever I do something in CS5 that I can do in LR.

I don't believe this is the case if you save as a jpeg (although I've never tried as I save my jpegs on a different drive and almost always do the jpeg export in LR anyhow).

Feel free to correct me if you know I'm in error.

J.davis
14-06-2011, 10:27pm
After trying to find the Jpegs in lightroom today, I failed. It seems that when I save the Jpegs in the original folder with the RAW file, Lightroom tells me that the file it sees is a RAW file with a Jpeg as well, but does not show the Jpeg. Lightroom doesn't even allow me to see the Jpegs in the imprt screen, only the RAW files.
Nearly ready to give up.:confused013

Scotty72
14-06-2011, 10:37pm
After trying to find the Jpegs in lightroom today, I failed. It seems that when I save the Jpegs in the original folder with the RAW file, Lightroom tells me that the file it sees is a RAW file with a Jpeg as well, but does not show the Jpeg. Lightroom doesn't even allow me to see the Jpegs in the imprt screen, only the RAW files.
Nearly ready to give up.:confused013

Can I ask? Why do you want to import the jpeg copy into LR alongside the original RAW?

J.davis
14-06-2011, 11:27pm
I mainly use lightroom as a catalogue, and I would like to see the pre (RAW) shot and the processed shot (JPEG) in the same folder. This would also allow me to see if a shot has been processed or could be processed.

Scotty72
15-06-2011, 4:07pm
I mainly use lightroom as a catalogue, and I would like to see the pre (RAW) shot and the processed shot (JPEG) in the same folder. This would also allow me to see if a shot has been processed or could be processed.

But, Lightroom already does that.

There is a button you press (under the pic you are working on) that gives you are before/after split. Remember, lightroom never alters the RAW file, it only applies your changes as an annotation.

ricstew
15-06-2011, 7:09pm
Right click your raw in LR to edit a tiff in cs5.......when you have finished playing with the tiff in cs5 go so file, save ( save only not save as ) and sc5 saves it next to the raw in LR.........at least it does in mine :)
cheers
Jan
edited to add it will save as a tiff but you can export a jpg from LR if you need to

kiwi
15-06-2011, 7:29pm
Import the jpegs into a separate folder and then move those files using lr into the same folder as the raw files, no idea whether that will stack the jpeg with the raw file but it might

I thought there was an option under preferences somewhere to uncouple raw and jpeg but i might be wrong

I'm having a seniors moment

agb
15-06-2011, 7:33pm
I hope this helps.
http://projectwoman.com/wordpress/2011/02/lightroom-working-with-raw-and-jpg.html

J.davis
15-06-2011, 10:48pm
I think I have solved the problem, when I save the JPEG in CS5, it gives the JPEG the same file name as the RAW file.
I tried saving as a 'copy' and the JPEG now shows up in the 'Import section' and when I import the files thay show up in the catalogue.
All happy now, thanks for the thoughts.
AGB - the link is for importing pictures with camera settings RAW + JPEG, thanks for your efforts.:th3: