PDA

View Full Version : Calibration bar at the bottom of the page

Kym
12-06-2011, 4:55pm
Observant lot you all are... :rolleyes:

There is a new calibration bar at the bottom of the screen...

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/staff/technical/APcalibrate.png (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=New_To_Photography:Learning_to_print_or_web_publish_photographs)

For those with calibrated monitors you should see 33 distinct bars of brightness.
If either end are continuous black or white then you are not seeing images as they should be.

For those who don't ... click the bar for more information. :th3:

From Rick:
The best method I have found for manual calibration is here (http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/)

The calibration bar does NOT mean your monitor is correctly calibrated. It just means that the brightness levels are correct, nothing more.

To ensure your monitor is correctly calibrated, the use of a hardware device (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?91096-Monitor-Calibration-Devices) is necessary. Please do not assume that because you can see all the squares on our calibration bar, that you do not need to use a monitor calibrator. Use of a hardware calibration device is the only way to get it right!

Just cause you can see all the bars does not mean your screen is OK.

William
12-06-2011, 5:02pm
:o Never scroll down that far Kym , But a handy little things these are , I get 34 graduations :th3:
:) Lol , I keep on losing count, Maybe a couple more, But the important thing is I can see them all , Especially at both ends

ameerat42
12-06-2011, 5:18pm
I sort of glanced at it and 4-got, but since you remind me, I'm glad I can see each division separately. I hope that means this monitor is not 1/2 bad after all.
Ta 4 that, Am.

Kym
12-06-2011, 5:28pm
32 gaps, 33 bars

If they are all distinct then you are half way to a calibrated monitor

ricktas
12-06-2011, 5:30pm
If you find that the left hand few all look the same (black), or the right hand ones are all white, and you cannot see any graduation between them, your monitor needs calibrating. The optimal way is with a hardware colorimeter calibration device, like a Spyder. If you do not have access to one, the best method I have found is here (http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/)

William
12-06-2011, 5:31pm
32 gaps, 33 bars

If they are all distinct then you are half way to a calibrated monitor

Thanks Kym, That'l do me ;)

ving
12-06-2011, 5:43pm
very cool sir! :th3::th3::th3:

Coral
13-06-2011, 12:22am
Thanks for this post as i wasn't sure how the new monitor was with calibration but fortunately all looks good :th3:

Tannin
13-06-2011, 6:37pm
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/staff/technical/APcalibrate.png[/URL]

For those with calibrated monitors you should see an even distribution of brightness.

Doesn't work. Not even at all.

It's much brighter at the right-hand end.

:eek:

William
13-06-2011, 6:44pm

Still looks fine to me , Now I've recounted, Cause it's bright at the right hand end , thats the white end , But you should be able to see a definate graduation in the whites ( For Highlights) Same as the other end , Blacks, ( Definition in the Shadows) Your Calibration must be way out :(

ricktas
13-06-2011, 6:45pm
Although this bar gives you a good indication if your monitor is set to display various brightness levels, it is still missing the concept of temperature (kelvin). Even if you can see all of the small bars and the graduations of each one from black to white, your monitor could still be less than accurate. It could be displaying the graphic with a warm (reddish) tone or a cool (blueish) tone. Sometimes this is very hard for the human eye to realise cause the brain is smart enough to know and make you think you are seeing white, when really what is visible is not white. The brain fills in the gaps and makes us see what it thinks we need to see, not necessarily what is really in front of us.

So use this graphic for what it is, but do not assume your monitor is calibrated correctly, just cause you can see every bar in the graphic.

I @ M
13-06-2011, 6:47pm

I thought that you were in favour of ETTR (expose to the right) ;)

Tannin
13-06-2011, 6:47pm
Sigh.

Even - "free from variations or fluctuations". It wasn't that obscure.

William
13-06-2011, 6:51pm
I'll just trust my "Spyder Calibration" for now, All the other Applets look good also , Gamma , Colour etc , Plus , What I get printed , Looks exactly what I see on the screen :)

arthurking83
13-06-2011, 7:00pm
OH! is that what this was for!!

I was tapping it lightly with my tablet pan expecting to hear soft melodic tinking sounds. What a relief, as I thought my sound card had bitten the dust or something.

Are you sure it's not simply a lot darker at the left hand side instead?? :p

damn it's hard to see that black wedge against a black background too!

Kym
13-06-2011, 9:55pm
Oi vay! Such humour! :lol:
The point of the thread was to raise awareness, and to show some, that their monitor basic brightness & contrast was either way off or maybe somewhere near sane. :rolleyes:

ricktas
14-06-2011, 7:20am
Oi vay! Such humour! :lol:
The point of the thread was to raise awareness, and to show some, that their monitor basic brightness & contrast was either way off or maybe somewhere near sane. :rolleyes:

Somewhere near sane?!?!?!?! So is monitor sanity classed as a specific defence in court? "My photos did not print correctly for the bride and groom your honour, which is why we are standing before you today, cause my monitor was insane at the time" :lol:

Indigo
14-06-2011, 1:52pm
Thanks Kym for this handy little strip, my computer seems to be sane:D

agb
14-06-2011, 3:48pm
I found it much easier to see against the background provided by the black stealth skin, rather than the site default one. I can at least now distinguish the last black bar.

Kym
14-06-2011, 9:06pm
It now has a grey band :th3: Refresh if needed

Kafter244
14-06-2011, 9:54pm
Wow I can even see all 33 bars on my iPhone! :D lol

Can never get near the laptop nowadays...may have to buy another one soon so I can get on with my PP. ;)

Cheers for the handy info guys.

Nikkie
15-06-2011, 11:06am
left to right Black to grey to white

Bathy
20-06-2011, 1:12pm
Hi All,

My first posting;- with regard to the calibration bar seems well defined on my laptop,my kelvin meter varies red to blue depending on if iam drinking either a red or white wine..:D Thanks

Bathy

William
20-06-2011, 1:37pm
left to right Black to grey to white

Nikkie, Can you see the different Graduations of the colours ? Not just a smooth transition from Black to grey to white , So far seems like everyone has a well calibrated monitor :)

Gremlin
01-07-2011, 7:23pm
yay mines good!

Wirginia
05-07-2011, 4:44pm
This got my attention and I'm pleased to say my monitor is about as 'sane' as I can get it. Thanks for this, very handy! :th3:

Virginia

peterking
05-07-2011, 10:36pm
I did spot it some time ago and looked at it. Saw all the segment and thought my monitor was good.
It was something similar that I used when I first got my iMac. Simplest tool I've ever used.

Thanks for putting it there.

FallingHorse
11-07-2011, 9:24pm
Ha - alway wondered what that little graph at the bottom of the page was for! :) Thanks Kym... I have certified my monitor as sane your honour :)

Kym
11-07-2011, 10:07pm
Ha - always wondered what that little graph at the bottom of the page was for! :) Thanks Kym... I have certified my monitor as sane your honour :)

:D
If everyone, esp. competition voters, had calibrated monitors then things would be a more even playing field.
People would also get a closer rendering when they printed their images !

RobertKD
12-07-2011, 5:59pm
Yes mine also checks out good on the grey scale, it was only calibrated a couple of weeks ago,.

But it does raise a question about colour space and colour temperature I use sRGB and 6500K as white?

I @ M
12-07-2011, 6:08pm
Yes mine also checks out good on the grey scale, it was only calibrated a couple of weeks ago,.

But it does raise a question about colour space and colour temperature I use sRGB and 6500K as white?

But, on the 'net the most important thing for viewing photos will be the colour awareness of your chosen browser.
Advice---- choose anything other than internet explorer. :)

ril14ey
14-07-2011, 8:55am
This is a great little tool, will adjust my monitor when i get home
Thanks Kym

RobertKD
17-07-2011, 9:19pm
@I@M

Agree but those using IE to gauge colour space and white balance from an 8bit jpg aren't likely to pick the difference either. :)

I'm still trying to come to terms with the local print shops printers and the dumb look I get when I ask about calibration of their print system. :eek:

Robert

creakingbones
25-07-2011, 8:15am
Very handy to have as an instant guide. I calibrate our monitors using the Spyder on a weekly basis. There is never a great deal of variation but keeping the ambient light levels constant is a pain in the proverbial.

john99
25-07-2011, 8:15pm
Thanks Kym, very helpful.

graemeb24
26-07-2011, 9:40am
thanks for the guidance - mine's ok - graemeb24

Evil_Robot_Santa
26-07-2011, 8:02pm
It helped me out!

ricktas
27-07-2011, 7:04am
As noted previously in this thread. The Calibration Bar does NOT mean your monitor is correctly calibrated! All it does is show the range of brightness your monitor is set to/displays. It does not show white balance, or colour correctness. It is a simple tool to help with one aspect of the entire monitor calibration accuracy process. The best way to ensure your monitor is correctly calibrated is to get a hardware calibration device, like a Colorvision Spyder, Eizo EasyPix, X-rite Eye One, etc

apostlegirl
28-07-2011, 7:38pm
cool tip!

shakes
05-08-2011, 1:19pm
thank you very much for those links... My monitor wasnt as far out as I thought!

Paddyob
18-08-2011, 3:36pm
Thanks very much!:)

Cyclorama
26-08-2011, 10:20pm
I think I better calibrate my reading glasses first:scrtch:

Kel
01-09-2011, 12:39pm
Thanks that is a really good tool to have.

Blueywa
01-09-2011, 7:34pm
works for me ;)

MBPierre
04-09-2011, 4:26pm
Thanks for the monitor calibration tip

IanHulbert
05-09-2011, 7:28pm
:) Thanks for the great link, I new my laptop monitor was bad, now I know how bad it really is. Saved your link for when I finally buy a good desktop monitor.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a combined photo editing, internet browsing, document creation/editing, videos and movies? I would imagine this would require at least 2 monitor settings (as most use apart from photo editing is generally better on a brighter/greener screen - especially Blu-ray/DVD as they are made for out-of-box too bright and too green LCD/plasma these days).

Cheers, :th3:
Ian

ricktas
05-09-2011, 7:59pm
Ian

Hardware calibration devices are the ONLY way to get anything that is consistent with a known standard. So look at getting yourself a calibrator. There are several out there.

kroppkaka
13-09-2011, 8:50pm
I think my monitor is not very good.
I struggle to get the colors right.
Maybe I have to get a better one.

ricktas
13-09-2011, 9:24pm
I think my monitor is not very good.
I struggle to get the colors right.
Maybe I have to get a better one.

You would be much better of spending your money on a monitor calibration device (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?91096-Monitor-Calibration-Devices)

wedgtail
14-09-2011, 2:12pm
Mine checks ok thnks for the post Kym

4wdexposure
15-09-2011, 12:50pm
Very good test site. I haven't calibrated my monitor because I've been very happy with the standard display. The test confirms it is pretty much spot on only falling down a little in the black and white contrast tests (and doesn't seem to have the quality to be improved by fiddling with the settings).

Many thanks

Robert Norman

William
15-09-2011, 4:43pm
Robert we're not talking about how good the colours are on your display, And how much you like the colours , It's about Calibration to a set standard , So that what you see on your screen while you go through the processing of images, Is what you get when you view the printed artical , No point in processing Images and when printed dont look like anything you saw at all !!! :Doh:

Cherry
15-09-2011, 8:30pm
Hi, thanks for this, have new monitor and thought I needed to calibrate it. All seems ok. Cheers Cherry.

ricktas
15-09-2011, 8:36pm
Hi, thanks for this, have new monitor and thought I needed to calibrate it. All seems ok. Cheers Cherry.

Chances are you probably do, the calibration bar IS NOT going to tell you if your screen is calibrated correctly, just that it is set to the correct brightness levels, nothing more

barkingox
17-09-2011, 4:40pm
thanks for the calibration bar

kiwi
17-09-2011, 5:50pm
My iPad passes

joeyvaldezjr
21-09-2011, 5:24pm
Good thing mines calibrated!

TFS!

PCaspo
24-09-2011, 3:35pm
Thanks Kym for shedding light on the subject

GJC
29-09-2011, 3:25pm
If you're serious - get a Spyder. But there's not much point getting one, if you have a crappy monitor in the first place. I've tried a number of other Gamma correcting software to calibrate monitors and they all end leaving you seeing spots. The grey scale chart is a good start, but colour temperature is so important if you're dealing with colour images. Most cheap LCD monitors have a blue cast. Laptop monitors are another problem because they generally don't have the facility to adjust the colour temp at all and usually only brightness and not contrast.

ricktas
29-09-2011, 6:56pm
If you're serious - get a Spyder. But there's not much point getting one, if you have a crappy monitor in the first place. I've tried a number of other Gamma correcting software to calibrate monitors and they all end leaving you seeing spots. The grey scale chart is a good start, but colour temperature is so important if you're dealing with colour images. Most cheap LCD monitors have a blue cast. Laptop monitors are another problem because they generally don't have the facility to adjust the colour temp at all and usually only brightness and not contrast.

Any monitor can be calibrated! And calibrating it will improve it. The issue of the calibration bar not being a guide of a good monitor has been repeatedly emphasised in this thread. We also have another thread in the Colour Management forum that deals with the different types of monitors and their quality in general. That thread is here (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?89862-The-different-types-of-monitors-available-for-photo-editing) and there is a list of available calibration devices here (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?91096-Monitor-Calibration-Devices).

it doesn't matter if you have a $200.00 monitor or $20,000 monitor, calibration will be required, and regularly, if your work requires accuracy to a high degree of tolerance.

And it would be great to see some of the photos you have managed to process on all these monitors you have calibrated. I just went to have a look and see the work you produce with them, but can't find a single photo you have put on AP for others to see.

GJC
20-10-2011, 11:27am
HI Rick,
I agree with you 100%, and the calibration bar is a good quick approach for brightnees and contrast. All I'm saying is that I've spent a lot of time in the past trying to make sure my monitors were calibrated as well as I could get them (mainly becasue they have been on the cheaper end) with software tools that require you to adjust the gamma for each colour channel buy subjective callibration. Since I bought the Spyder - it's made it a lot easier.

In regard to your snipe about me not having posted any photos, here is a thread in which I posted photos: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?50747-Canon-EOS-7D-High-ISO . Yes it's the only one; and these were probably before I got the Spyder anyway.

I don't get onto the forum very often and was planning on starting to posting some photos soon to get some feedback, but now I'm starting to feel unwelcome.

ricktas
20-10-2011, 4:41pm
HI Rick,
I agree with you 100%, and the calibration bar is a good quick approach for brightnees and contrast. All I'm saying is that I've spent a lot of time in the past trying to make sure my monitors were calibrated as well as I could get them (mainly becasue they have been on the cheaper end) with software tools that require you to adjust the gamma for each colour channel buy subjective callibration. Since I bought the Spyder - it's made it a lot easier.

In regard to your snipe about me not having posted any photos, here is a thread in which I posted photos: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?50747-Canon-EOS-7D-High-ISO . Yes it's the only one; and these were probably before I got the Spyder anyway.

I don't get onto the forum very often and was planning on starting to posting some photos soon to get some feedback, but now I'm starting to feel unwelcome.

Whether you feel unwelcome or not is entirely up to you. but this is Ausphotography, not Ausphotogear and I was merely suggesting it would be good to see some of your photos, cause after 2 years of membership, I am sure you have a few keepers that you could share with us.

non culpa
21-10-2011, 4:03pm
As we said in the trenches, "Thanks for the heads up". That means thank you for the information in normal talk.

non culpa
21-10-2011, 4:11pm
First slip-up, should have thanked ricktas.

mepradhan
31-10-2011, 11:25am
thanks for info!! :):rolleyes:

Salisbury
03-11-2011, 4:21pm
Thanks for that, it was a bit over exposed.:th3::th3:

William
03-11-2011, 5:50pm
Thanks for that, it was a bit over exposed.:th3::th3:

You mean the brightness may have been a tad high, Never heard of an over exposed Monitor , There's more to it than just the Calibration Bar at the bottom :rolleyes:

Roger W
21-11-2011, 6:06pm
Wonderful thread. but please be aware that if you are using a laptop the angle of the screen will make a difference.

ricktas
21-11-2011, 6:58pm
Wonderful thread. but please be aware that if you are using a laptop the angle of the screen will make a difference.

Incorrect!

SOME laptops maybe, but not all. It depends on the type of screen your laptop has : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?89862-The-different-types-of-monitors-available-for-photo-editing

There are bad monitors and there are great monitors, and these exists in both desktop and laptop monitors, but a blanket statement about using laptops can be misleading.

William
26-11-2011, 3:38pm
Question : Wondering what time of day and in what lighting do you Calibrate your Monitor, I do know that you dont have direct Sunlight on the screen Etc, More, Do you do it in the morning or Evening , I have my computor in a room with the Curtains drawn all day , But it can still get very bright in the morning with the low sun angle against the curtains , Or at night with a subdued light on ?? , I use a Spyder 3 Express , It does say watch for direct light on the screen , But up here the light during the day can really effect the colours on the screen , I dont want to Calibrate at a certain time of day , And then have to process at that time , Just wondering - Bill

PS : It's time for a recalibrate :)

PPS : I do mine monthly , I get the warning on the screen to recalibrate

ricktas
26-11-2011, 4:08pm
I calibrate mine in the light that I generally do my processing under. So afternoon and evening, for me. As you say William, the light in the room can change and this can affect the way us humans see the screen, though out eyes (and brains) are fairly good at auto-white-balance. We tend to know something is white, even if the light shining on it makes it look blue at the time.

My calibrator has an ambient light feature and during the calibration process it looks at the light in the room, and incorporates that into the profile it builds for my screen. So I always try and calibrate at the same time of day that I generally do my editing. Doing it monthly is good, for a variety of reasons, one of which is that as the light changes throughout the year, as we move from winter to summer, recalibrating regularly compensates for that.

William
26-11-2011, 4:22pm
Thanks Rick, The reason I asked also was that I have the cheapy version , The "Express" Although it works fine , It does'nt have all the bells and whistles that the Elite and Pro versions have , Namely the Ambient light feature :( I guess I'll just go with a medion if I can get the lighting average , The only other way would be to Calibrate just before processing each time :Doh:Most of my processing is done mid morning after a Early morning shoot , Maybe just calibrate then , Thanks mate for your reply I think this type of stuff should help members new to Calibration :th3:

shisho
17-12-2011, 3:05pm
Thank you for this info!!

Phil Mac
31-12-2011, 4:36pm
Thanks for that, mine also was too bright, and I wasn't seeing the distinction at the white end. I wonder if anyone in the household will notice the changes? :cool:

ameerat42
31-12-2011, 9:19pm
Thanks for that, mine also was too bright, and I wasn't seeing the distinction at the white end. I wonder if anyone in the household will notice the changes? :cool:

(Jeepers! What peepers, Phil Mac.)
Next Q: Where'd you get 'em?:D

Ezookiel
18-01-2012, 10:31pm
Woohoo.
My daughter destroying my old laptop, and my having to get a new one, means that I now have a monitor that shows ALL of the seperate shades on the calibration bar at the bottom. My previous laptop joined the last two (can't remember if it was the last two black, or last two white, but either way it wasn't ideal).

ryanmacca
14-02-2012, 7:30pm
I use a Spyder4 Elite for my calibration. Invaluable when one has multiple computers and monitors!

Rae
29-02-2012, 9:46am
:th3:

Jimmy
17-03-2012, 12:16pm
Thanks for that, never realised the monitor was out!

Chappo
19-03-2012, 1:50pm
Very bright right hand side and very dark left hand side. That is my one.

William
19-03-2012, 5:58pm
Get a new monitor, Or you need to calibrate by the sounds of that , You should be able to see each separate segment , But there is more to it than just this little quick test :rolleyes:

tyb1987
24-03-2012, 10:23pm
thanks for the calibration bar. It's really help me a lot.

ricktas
25-03-2012, 8:43am
The calibration bar does NOT mean your monitor is correctly calibrated. It just means that the brightness levels are correct, nothing more.

To ensure your monitor is correctly calibrated, the use of a hardware device (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?91096-Monitor-Calibration-Devices) is necessary. Please do not assume that because you can see all the squares on our calibration bar, that you do not need to use a monitor calibrator. Use of a hardware calibration device is the only way to get it right!

chrissmithy
07-04-2012, 12:59pm
Great tool for checking your monitors brightness, I struggled so much with calibrating my monitor that I finally purchased a Monitor Calibrator (well Xmas Present) I put a second monitor on and it calibrated that as well there are some slight differences between the monitors but you have to stare hard to see the difference. And the Bar Below, I see all which is reassuring (yes I know it should lol)
Oh by the way in reading some of the below posts I have the version that adjusts for ambient light I Highly reccomend it. Am new to the Forum hoping I can contribute as well as learn a lot

dannyv
12-04-2012, 7:09am
Many thanks! It's a great help!

Rob Davids
25-05-2012, 9:50pm
If you find that the left hand few all look the same (black), or the right hand ones are all white, and you cannot see any graduation between them, your monitor needs calibrating. The optimal way is with a hardware colorimeter calibration device, like a Spyder. If you do not have access to one, the best method I have found is here (http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/)
Line look OK and distinct on an iPad. I doubt I can do any calibration on of anyway.

ricktas
25-05-2012, 10:14pm
Line look OK and distinct on an iPad. I doubt I can do any calibration on of anyway.

iPads etc can be calibrated with the latest hardware calibration devices

Warren Ackary
31-05-2012, 4:53pm
I get 3/4s of the way across and thats it

Then again I have an el cheapo monitor plugged into my laptop :(

Nashy
11-06-2012, 11:35am
Thanks for putting it at the top again. Works well, but I have trouble seeing the Gamma cal using that QuickGamma that is linked. Any advice with that?

Kym
11-06-2012, 12:09pm
Thanks for putting it at the top again. Works well, but I have trouble seeing the Gamma cal using that QuickGamma that is linked. Any advice with that?

From this? http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

We don't manage that site so you will need to ask there.

In the end the best calibration is with a device.

shniks
02-07-2012, 7:29am
I was looking for something like this, thanks for posting.

coopers789
20-07-2012, 5:19pm
Thanks. My monitor looks as though it is calibrated pretty well.

goodgroove
09-08-2012, 9:31pm
Everything seems to be OK here
Thanks for this useful info.

escape
21-08-2012, 10:53am
thank you

- - - Updated - - -

than you

JohnDavo
19-09-2012, 8:46pm
My monitor seems to be calibrated OK

ricktas
19-09-2012, 9:03pm
My monitor seems to be calibrated OK

Not sure how many times we have said it in this thread. Do NOT use the bar as a decider if your monitor is calibrated correctly. This just shows that your monitor brightness and contrast are correct, it does not show if colours are being rendered correctly, or if the warmth/coolness (kelvin) of your monitor is correct.

Willilamwgn
01-10-2012, 5:17pm
Thanks for this post, I could see the different shades in my photos after this caliberation!

tsmpaul
10-11-2012, 12:36pm
Thanks for this thread! I'm seeing each of the bars now.

richtbw
21-12-2012, 7:00pm
So glad I invested in a SpyderProearlier this year

- - - Updated - - -

So glad I invested in a SpyderPro earlier this year

MilanB
21-01-2013, 10:10pm
Looks fine on a 1920 x 1080 LCD screen

Sabi Lear
05-02-2013, 7:54am
All good here in Mexico with 33 very distinct bars, thanks for sharing!

extraball
05-02-2013, 9:00am
that bar comes in very handy. I use a laptop, and wouldnt know what angle to have the screen without it.

William
05-02-2013, 1:34pm

Just a reminder , Does not mean that your Monitor is calibrated correctly , As Rick and I have said before , It's a good Brightness and contrast check :)

yisiyue000
21-02-2013, 5:29pm
i can see 48 gaps. Oh my, I forget to wear my glasses lol. I am a freshman in photography. I hope I can learn a lot from here

jeffo
26-02-2013, 3:40am
Thanks Kym.

All is good. Will dig a little deeper on the link you have provided for further understanding.

Neil

Bill Curnow
02-03-2013, 10:19pm
My monitor appears to be OK

El Baroda
03-03-2013, 8:56am
Thanks, Kym. Mine is okay.

ricktas
03-03-2013, 9:04am
Again:

Just cause you can see all the bars does not mean your screen is OK.

coolermaster
02-04-2013, 9:50am
Newby here, thanks for the tip.

Amelia
16-05-2013, 2:45pm
Thanks Kym
:)

William
20-05-2013, 4:33pm
I'm wondering if this thread is just being used to reactivate , There seems to be a lot that just say thanks with 1 or 2 posts , We dont get any saying , Great I've just purched a Calibration tool to do the proper calibration as we have suggested on numerous occasions ? :confused013

ricktas
20-05-2013, 5:12pm
I'm wondering if this thread is just being used to reactivate , There seems to be a lot that just say thanks with 1 or 2 posts , We dont get any saying , Great I've just purched a Calibration tool to do the proper calibration as we have suggested on numerous occasions ? :confused013

If I notice those (and many above I have) I send them a PM explaining the inactive cycle. Eventually they will lose access and have to post every single day for 6 months to retain/regain access. My thoughts are they are not wanting to/willing to join in, so the inactive cycle will bite them.

Homegirl
14-10-2013, 12:33pm
Thanks for this, all looks ok.:rolleyes:

beardedcamera
10-12-2013, 7:20pm
Thanks very much for that, I appreciate the effort put into it. It's always great to find that your monitor is working against a variety of tests. It also shows that my calibration tools are working well. That said, do you know much about the new Spyder4 and if they made such improvements with it that one "should" replace Spyder3?

The spyder4 was an upgrade, and basically uses the same colorimeter as the 3 version. The colorimeter changed a lot between spyder 2 and spyder 3.

shaman
23-01-2014, 8:08pm
Observant lot you all are... :rolleyes:

There is a new calibration bar at the bottom of the screen...

As a brand new member of about 10 minutes I am pleased that my monitors correctly display the bar :)

liljayne
16-08-2014, 9:51am
Thankyou that was very handy

Roycewf
13-09-2014, 6:07pm
Yes to calibrate correctly, you need a spider, have seen them on e-bay at reasonable prices.

Tamama
17-10-2014, 6:08pm
Thank You

xhatiik
19-02-2015, 10:51pm
well looks good

MBPierre
10-06-2015, 1:52pm
I recently re-calibrated my monitor. happy to distinguish the 33 shades

thegrump
29-07-2015, 6:44pm
Seems good enough to me

ricktas
29-07-2015, 6:55pm
Seems good enough to me

No. It is not. As has been repeated several times in this thread, all it does is show that your brightness and contrast are OK. Not great... not correct..just OK.

All photographers need to buy a monitor calibration device and use it, regularly.