PDA

View Full Version : Where to shoot nice countryside?

antongorlin
12-06-2011, 1:56pm
hi NSWers :)
are there any nice countryside locations you know about?
not far from Sydney.
by countryside I mean some cows, background mountains, lone tree, lake or river.
something like that.
I couldn't find anything conveniently good through google maps so far.

Nonas
12-06-2011, 2:03pm
How about Kangaroo Valley: lone trees plus lots that hang around together, escarpments, river, lots of rock pools upstream, historic bridge, cute village, great vineyard, lots of cows, amazing architect built houses dotted throughout the valley. Probably one of the most beautiful places anywhere, I reckon. Close to Fitzroy Falls.

AmPhot
12-06-2011, 3:18pm
lol geez if a 2 hour drive is considered "not far" I'd hate to see what far away is ! :p What about around the Richmond area CB ? Or up Dural way ? You're in semi-rural areas there. Otherwise up to the Blue Mountains possibly ?

mudman
12-06-2011, 3:42pm
Bowral and Mitagong have some great scenery. Berima just a bit further down.
bathurst and orange areas are also good spots

Wayne
12-06-2011, 4:19pm
Picton Bowral Mittagong Blue Mtns Werombi Cessnosk Broke Wollombi Mulbring etc
How far is not far??

I would expect a couple of hours drive to fall into the "not far" category.

NikonNellie
12-06-2011, 6:27pm
Anton - if you don't mind the country side being in a park then Fagan Park at Dural is lovely. It has old farm sheds, an historic homestead, Lake with a bridge and not to mention a number of gardens themed on different countries.
Here is a link for it.: http://www.hornsby.nsw.gov.au/recreation-and-facilities/major-parks/fagan-park

I only live about 20 minutes from the place. It should have some nice colour in the trees at the moment.

Xenedis
12-06-2011, 6:44pm
For a while, Berrima has been on my list.

We've been planning to drive down there, but haven't made it in recent weeks.

I was hoping to capture an autumn feel in the afternoon golden light, but I think it's too late for autumnal colour now. The place would still be fantastic during golden hour. I took a model down there for a shoot last year, waited for the light and then got some very pleasing warm tones. I didn't bother with lights, and opted to have an assistant hold a reflector dish. When you've got real light and it's good, there's no need to fake it.

Berrima has some fantastic old sandstone buildings such as the courthouse, and there are plenty of county 'scapes very close by, which would make for a good shoot.

antongorlin
12-06-2011, 8:02pm
ok thanks folks.
so for tomorrow my pick is Kangaroo Valley. A bit too far, but too tempting :)
Fitzroy Falls + Morton NP as a plan B.
hope for some fog or at least some heavy rain :rolleyes:

Ionica
13-06-2011, 9:11am
In the Blue Mountains, you could try the Megalong Valley below Blackheath, and the Hartley and Kanimbla Valleys ( just past Mt. Victoria ). These give you good escarpment backdrops as well. If you are interested and want more information, I'm happy to help.

antongorlin
14-06-2011, 8:23am
the results:
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?85978-Kangaroo-Valley-(21-photos-amp-story)