PDA

View Full Version : Photographers need to be fit - how do you keep fit

Longshots
12-06-2011, 11:55am
I've found that its important to keep fit as a photographer.

Out of curiosity I was interested to know what others do to stay fit ?

flame70
12-06-2011, 11:57am
Eat sensibly and in moderation. Play 11 a side soccer twice a week and cycle.

William
12-06-2011, 12:07pm
Walk , And same as Flame, No Junk food, At all ! , I'm lucky enought to live pretty well close to everything I need, Not unusual not to drive the car for 5 days, Fuel bill is around $10 a fortnight, Climbing rocky, slippery , sharp headlands in the dark also tests the leg muscles at tad :D

Lani
12-06-2011, 12:56pm
Exercising three border collies twice a day, and photographing dogs and kids...guaranteed to keep me on my toes.
Can't claim to be very good about the food and wine side of things though....:o

peterb666
12-06-2011, 1:46pm
I press the shutter button.

fabian628
12-06-2011, 1:49pm
I dont stay fit for photography per se, but for other things I do. Other than doing a few more weights after getting the 400. :D

terry.langham
12-06-2011, 1:59pm
Recliner crunches and tinny curls mostly, that keeps me in nice shape (round is a nice shape isn't it). :D

in2fx
12-06-2011, 2:31pm
eat sensibly and walk instead of driving whenever possible and load more camera gear into your bag than you need and go the long way to take photos :)

ricktas
12-06-2011, 3:27pm
cycling, not as much as I used to. Walking my dogs, cross trainer. Going for walks to take photos. Working inside, I much prefer to get outdoors to exercise.

What do you do William, seeing it's your thread, it would be interesting to know what you do.

JM Tran
12-06-2011, 3:33pm
I used to be in the Army before doing photography so that was a good start. Now I play league soccer, train 2-3 times a week and match on weekends, weights gym 3 times a week and miscellaneous sports like tennis and badminton and hiking locally and overseas.

train hard, shoot easy:D

Ms Monny
12-06-2011, 3:36pm
funny you posted this today as I was in the gym this morning (after having a long time off from a torn ligament) and I was nearly vomitting!! I think my head cold and dehydration made me feel like this!! :(

I try to get into the gym at least 2 - 3 times a day (when not injured) and I love walking!!

triptych
12-06-2011, 3:53pm
funny you posted this today as I was in the gym this morning (after having a long time off from a torn ligament) and I was nearly vomitting!! I think my head cold and dehydration made me feel like this!! :(

I try to get into the gym at least 2 - 3 times a day (when not injured) and I love walking!!

How do u find the time to get in 2-3 times a day Ms Monny?

ving
12-06-2011, 4:00pm
hmm... lift beer- drink-put beer down... lift beer-drink-put beer down :p

just kidding. everything in moderation i believe and stay active... above all else dont become a "lazy person". taking photos doesnt take a great physique but being puffed after walking 100 meters probably isnt a great thing.
that said i walk, cycle, fish, and generally keep moving... dont forget rest peeps! very important! do your back in and you will regret it! you only get one body so look after it :)

Longshots
12-06-2011, 4:19pm
cycling, not as much as I used to. Walking my dogs, cross trainer. Going for walks to take photos. Working inside, I much prefer to get outdoors to exercise.

What do you do William, seeing it's your thread, it would be interesting to know what you do.

My life changed from unbelievably active after I had to stop my first career, after that I suffered from activity withdrawals initially.

So after major back surgery when I was 32, within the year of that major operation, I took up mountain biking and endurance horse riding before I left the UK. Once I'd moved here, I then found my work became more digital,which meant a great deal more sitting in front of a computer.

So I needed to find something to get my regular fitness kick, my personal interests, (other then the more standard gym visits kayaking and cycling) over the past 15 years I've been into Muay Thai Kick Boxing, sparring in one on one no holds barred (UFC style), and general self defence . My professional fight trainer and sparring partner, who doesnt believe in the typical customer client relationship, of the customer is always right, taught "old school training" of a black eye will teach you to hold your guard up properly. So while I may be in my mid 50's, I'm still fitter than most 40 year olds :)

Xenedis
12-06-2011, 5:45pm
I have a weekly tennis session. I went back to it this year after stopping in 2009. It's fun and keeps me active, but I doubt it's enough exercise.

In common with Williams is martial arts (different styles, though). I walked away from it in 1994; at the time, I was training four nights a week plus half of Sunday.

I wonder if lifting my gear and lugging it around counts as exercise...

kieran03
12-06-2011, 7:59pm
always been pretty big into the fitness...usually my excersise consists of gym sessions 3-4times a week an riding my push bike for leisure and started racing keeps the heart ticking....was doing this before i started taking photo's mind you...photography is leisurely hobby i've started...

arthurking83
13-06-2011, 4:44pm
I got enough broken bones to deal with. I know that in trying to keeping fit it will only exacerbate this recurring problem.

I can't say that being unfit has ever stopped me from achieving my photography goals(but my physical disabilities definitely have).
My biggest problem is walking, and adding 20plus kgs of camera gear to the already significant 100kg burden my knee has to deal with does have implications.

I can't imagine walking more than 5klms in a stint and not due to a level of unfitness. It's simply due to the knee problem.
As for walking up or down hill ... definitely a no go for me(unless the photograph is worth the effort).

mongo
13-06-2011, 5:09pm
lots of RUSTLING but tragically, NO junk food.

Lance B
13-06-2011, 5:32pm
I used to play and train for touch footy basically 7 days a week for about 15 years up until about 15 years ago, but now I'm 50 I have backed off considerably to now only playing Tag once a week and sometimes touch footy, do a 15km cycle each Saturday and walking our dog. My job can also be a little physical if the boys need help in the store and I try to eat sensibly and by and large this has worked. I have little trouble lugging around my 10kg of gear in my backpack.

Scotty72
13-06-2011, 5:36pm
Why does one NEED to be fit to be a photographer?

Certain types, yes... If you are photographing lions on the jungle, it probably pays to be able to run fast and long.

But, if you are photographing birds from a bird hide, sitting with cold beer, why is fitness an imperative?

Other than it's generally better to be moderately fit than not.

peterb666
13-06-2011, 5:58pm
I do weight training - I lift my camera bag.

JM Tran
13-06-2011, 6:02pm

Certain types, yes... If you are photographing lions on the jungle, it probably pays to be able to run fast and long.

But, if you are photographing birds from a bird hide, sitting with cold beer, why is fitness an imperative?

Other than it's generally better to be moderately fit than not.

ummm, I'll let u think about that one more before others will answer why it pays to be fit, not just in photography but in life and the work place.

peterb666
13-06-2011, 6:10pm
ummm, I'll let u think about that one more before others will answer why it pays to be fit, not just in photography but in life and the work place.

The most avid fitness fanatics I know are all having knee operations, back problems and are into substance abuse. I think it is better to be healthy and fit enough to enjoy life rather than make fitness an obsession.

Kym
13-06-2011, 6:21pm
I shot a wedding in Melbourne two weeks ago... I was shot at the end of the day. :rolleyes:

Scotty72
13-06-2011, 6:23pm

Did you read the last line of my earlier post before you put your foot in your mouth? Or did you do it in spite of reading my qualification. Of course, it is better to be moderately fit than a slough.

But the premise of this thread is, 'its [sic] important to keep fit as a photographer'.

Quite a leading question, isn't it? A little bit like, "So, when did you stop bashing your wife?"

Not, 'It's important to keep fit, in general.'

Why do photographers, especially, need to keep fit?

Scotty

PS. I agree with Peter: I know some very unhealthy fitness freaks.

I @ M
13-06-2011, 6:31pm

Easy, if you ( being the generic photographer) are out in the thick of it doggedly pursuing subjects in the relentless quest for the ultimate street photograph of young ladies that appeal to you combined with the chance of a cup of coffee and a chat, one must surely need a certain level of stamina or fitness.

And maybe, just maybe, if you are fit and look that way the young ladies at the centre of your attention might even say yes.:rolleyes:

Scotty72
13-06-2011, 6:43pm
Easy, if you ( being the generic photographer) are out in the thick of it doggedly pursuing subjects in the relentless quest for the ultimate street photograph of young ladies that appeal to you combined with the chance of a cup of coffee and a chat, one must surely need a certain level of stamina or fitness.

And maybe, just maybe, if you are fit and look that way the young ladies at the centre of your attention might even say yes.:rolleyes:

Well, since I developed my medical probs 2 years ago, I went from cycling about 250 km a week on average (pretty fit) to someone who is rather unfit (I struggle to maintain >30 km/h for 5 kms these days).

Still, if you look at my 'people I meet' thread of late last year, I still do ok :cool::th3:

Then again, being as ugly as a hatful... , I've always had to rely on my charm :p

Scotty

mechawombat
13-06-2011, 6:52pm
I am the unfittest guy I know but I love to go for a walk and my camera comes with me improving my fitness looking for new place to shoot

I @ M
13-06-2011, 6:54pm
I am the unfittest guy I know

Sorry, gotta disagree with you on that one.

I even hired an assistant to push the "talk to order" buttons in the drive thru at maccas.

JM Tran
13-06-2011, 7:02pm
Did you read the last line of my earlier post before you put your foot in your mouth? Or did you do it in spite of reading my qualification. Of course, it is better to be moderately fit than a slough.

But the premise of this thread is, 'its [sic] important to keep fit as a photographer'.

Quite a leading question, isn't it? A little bit like, "So, when did you stop bashing your wife?"

Not, 'It's important to keep fit, in general.'

Why do photographers, especially, need to keep fit?

Scotty

PS. I agree with Peter: I know some very unhealthy fitness freaks.

Nope, I read it.

So let me tell you why its important to be healthy and fit, you dont need to be a fitness fanatic

1. Decent fitness promotes less fatigue
2. Less fatigue will hamper less on your endurance/stamina - crucial for a long day of photography be it wedding or sports or wildlife, from pros to amateurs
3. Fatigue leads to poorer decision making and less willingness to pursue the crucial shots
4. Physical endurance leads to better attributes, such as less hand shaking thus preventing less camera blur, not everyone has IS
5. For professionals, sweating like a pig and panting during a wedding shoot is embarrassing for your business image
6. Being less fatigued means being able to communicate with your peers, surroundings, clients etc better. Communications is the most important thing for a pro.
7. A million other reasons.

I come from a military background before doing photography full time. As an officer, and as a whole - we stress the importance of being fit so we last longer, and able to make decisions without fatigue clouding our thoughts and decision making - when you are tired and weary you do not think straight, full stop. You dont need to be at a level like the SAS or triathlete.

It is an important factors for professionals in photography to consider, especially those that shoot a few times a week like myself.

If you cannot acknowledge the reasons why it pays to be fit, and why I dont work with unfit people - then that to me, is a lack of foresight.

Scotty72
13-06-2011, 7:12pm
I'll say it once more.

All of that applies to life in general... almost any job or hobby (even an elevator driver). They are not peculiar to photography.

OK?

Don't waste your bait, I'm done biting when it is utterly tasteless. :rolleyes:

Nope, I read it.

So let me tell you why its important to be healthy and fit, you dont need to be a fitness fanatic

1. Decent fitness promotes less fatigue
2. Less fatigue will hamper less on your endurance/stamina - crucial for a long day of photography be it wedding or sports or wildlife, from pros to amateurs
3. Fatigue leads to poorer decision making and less willingness to pursue the crucial shots
4. Physical endurance leads to better attributes, such as less hand shaking thus preventing less camera blur, not everyone has IS
5. For professionals, sweating like a pig and panting during a wedding shoot is embarrassing for your business image
6. Being less fatigued means being able to communicate with your peers, surroundings, clients etc better. Communications is the most important thing for a pro.
7. A million other reasons.

I come from a military background before doing photography full time. As an officer, and as a whole - we stress the importance of being fit so we last longer, and able to make decisions without fatigue clouding our thoughts and decision making - when you are tired and weary you do not think straight, full stop. You dont need to be at a level like the SAS or triathlete.

It is an important factors for professionals in photography to consider, especially those that shoot a few times a week like myself.

If you cannot acknowledge the reasons why it pays to be fit, and why I dont work with unfit people - then that to me, is a lack of foresight.

Longshots
13-06-2011, 7:21pm
By the way - I didnt think I'd asked a leading question.

What I posted was my opinion, and then simply asked what people did to keep fit ? The level of fitness wasnt my point :) It was more a simple question to see what people did in terms of seeking the variety of differences.

As one who grew up being fit by almost accident as an off shoot of my previous career, it then became - as I said previously - an addiction (which is quite understandable as the endorphins increase produced from physical exertion is really addictive). So again, as I said, I missed that. Hence taking up some different types of endorphin producing exercise.

Sure you dont need to be super fit, but you do need to be averagely fit. If for no other reason, to make sure you dont slip a disc picking up your camera bag.\! And, I hate to admit it, but the older you get, the more important it is to work pro-actively against injury; and the best way to do that is (perhaps unfortunately) exercise.

gerry
13-06-2011, 7:25pm
lol classic thread - photography is like golf, plenty of fit ones and plenty of fat ones and strangely enough there is little correlation between between being good and being fit. John Daley comes to mind...:)

why I dont work with unfit people - then that to me, is a lack of foresight.

thats a bit rough, thats bit like me saying I don't work with people shorter than me cause they are beneath me. How do you determine whether someone is fit or not? fitness comes in many different levels and facets, plenty of gym junkies I know could not even run 5km on the other hand plenty of cyclists i know could not do a set with the tricep curl (for example). I can't run a few kilometres but can swim 4km nonstop... the list goes on

Scotty72
13-06-2011, 7:26pm
By the way - I didnt think I'd asked a leading question.

What I posted was my opinion, and then simply asked what people did to keep fit ? The level of fitness wasnt my point :) It was more a simple question to see what people did in terms of seeking the variety of differences.

As one who grew up being fit by almost accident as an off shoot of my previous career, it then became - as I said previously - an addiction (which is quite understandable as the endorphins increase produced from physical exertion is really addictive). So again, as I said, I missed that. Hence taking up some different types of endorphin producing exercise.

Sure you dont need to be super fit, but you do need to be averagely fit. If for no other reason, to make sure you dont slip a disc picking up your camera bag.\! And, I hate to admit it, but the older you get, the more important it is to work pro-actively against injury; and the best way to do that is (perhaps unfortunately) exercise.

Apologies for the leading question thing :)

Glad you don't agree that you have to be a navy seal in order to shoot a sea-scape. :th3:

JM Tran
13-06-2011, 7:33pm
lol classic thread - photography is like golf, plenty of fit ones and plenty of fat ones and strangely enough there is little correlation between between being good and being fit. John Daley comes to mind...:)

thats a bit rough, thats bit like me saying I don't work with people shorter than me cause they are beneath me. How do you determine whether someone is fit or not? fitness comes in many different levels and facets, plenty of gym junkies I know could not even run 5km on the other hand plenty of cyclists i know could not do a set with the tricep curl (for example). I can't run a few kilometres but can swim 4km nonstop... the list goes on

Mental fitness/endurance also Gerry.

I prefer working with people who can handle pressure whilst being fatigued after a long day, and do not have any prior conditions or injuries. When you are working for me you are pretty much under my OHS policies. I need my guys to be on the ball the whole time and think straight and make good decisions. Things like wedding only happen once for most people and I cannot afford to have someone slip up, or quit as they are too tired, or sore, or pull some muscle, or a heart attack or something more serious.

This is not be being rough or prejudiced, its for the sake of the paying client, at the end of the day.

Kafter244
13-06-2011, 7:59pm
I came into photography through my love of the outdoors so it helps that I want to shoot when I go hiking, rock climbing, kayaking or sailing. Alas I've had little time to do such things this last year so my shoots have been closer to home, but I still keep fit in the indoor rock wall *ahem* sometimes :/ ...and eat healthily.

Great topic I have a regular argument with my friends over snooker/pool players needing to be fit; they always baulk at my suggestion but as JMTran says; it pays off mentally as well as physically...a dy at the table may not require the physique of an athlete, but it dies require the stamina...I think some photo disciplines can be the same...and some not of course! :D

zollo
13-06-2011, 9:08pm
add me to the "have to be navy seal to shoot seascape/landscape" group. I think fitness - along with the mental and physical stamina, balance and flexibility, speed, and strength that come with it, have all played a part at one stage or other during my photography both for clients and self. Just for eg, i climb/hike up and down cliffs that others don't/can't because i'm quite confident in my abilities. I had my brother with me (was not into fitness at the time - is now) while climbing mount Roland in Tassie, 1230 odd metres altitude in 6-7 hours up and 5-6 hours down with 15kg of camera gear (He never made it all the way up) Recently I also had a king wave chase me up a granite boulder, all i had time to do was pick up tripod and run, my fitness definitely saved me from a worse fate. of course in my studio work fitness is definitely less important but i did say seascape/landscape photographer. love mountain biking and gym

Ms Monny
13-06-2011, 9:22pm
How do u find the time to get in 2-3 times a day Ms Monny?

Yeah, I am a super-freak and go to the gym 3 times a day! You should see me....ripped and buff! :D :eek:

No, actually, 2 - 3 times a WEEK is what I do. Saying that, we went for a walk through a National Park today and because my fitness has plummeted, I struggled to walk up the big hills....and I know if I want to get out and do landscape photography I NEED to be fit to get to the places that I want to photograph!!

peterb666
13-06-2011, 9:30pm
I am the unfittest guy I know but I love to go for a walk and my camera comes with me improving my fitness looking for new place to shoot

Sorry, gotta disagree with you on that one.

I even hired an assistant to push the "talk to order" buttons in the drive thru at maccas.

It is good to know there are others with similar levels of fitness to me. I know Scotty well and most of the time I would say he is fitter than me but alas not lately. Regardless of your level of fitness, you can take great photos. Likewise the fittest in the world can take terrible photos.

Last year when I had quite bad asthma during winter, I went on a number of moderately challenging (for me) excursions including the Devil's Cauldron and Minnamurra Falls. On both occasions, I was succumb by minor bouts of asthma. On both occasions there were other photographers who kept an eye out for me and helped me. It was a crook year and the worst for decades but my photography got better.

There certainly are some niches where of photography I will never be able to do due to my levels of fitness but it doesn't stop me trying and it is rare that it is a real impediment. I certainly will never have the time to do all that I want even without those niches.

Despite my levels of fitness, I have far fewer sick days at work and fail to attend far fewer photographic excursions than most I know. This is because while I am unfit, I am fairly healthy and an ailment that I have had for around 50 years has never beaten me. I would say that I am mentally fit.

It is all very nice to expect people to run 50km a day and cycle another 100 then lift the weight of a small car but not everyone can be Charles Atlas. While there are plenty out there that spend hours each day being mega-fit, well I am taking photos and that is what keeps me happy. Oh, and I enjoy the younger women just as much as Adonis with a camera.

Each to his or her own - I will continue taking photos and enjoying the process and the people I have met while doing so.

Bear Dale
13-06-2011, 9:46pm
I'd like to say sex......but I'd be fibbing.

Most likely the fittest muscles in my body would be my jaw muscles, so I'll say eating!

Art Vandelay
13-06-2011, 9:56pm
Most of my sports and hobbies like waterskiing, Vintage moto-x or hiking up mountain streams to secluded fishing spots keep me quite active without dedicating a seperate activity to it. Fitness is still quite good, but being closer to 50 than 40 it's important to stay ontop of flexibility as well. Was reluctantly introduced to Yoga a while back, I first passed it off as a bit hairy fairy, but then it bit me and was going once, sometimes twice a week for the last 5 years. Have recently got back into it after 6mths without it after a recent accident, so playing a bit of a catch up at the moment and paying the price.. ;)

Kym
13-06-2011, 10:06pm
There are many jobs that require fitness levels or health checks.
Even train drivers, train controllers etc. have to meet certain fitness levels (safety critical jobs).
Fire fighters, soldiers, life guards also have fitness requirements.

Requiring a fitness level for wedding or fashion photography and even some other commercial photography makes complete reasonable sense.
I.e. mobility and the ability to get to the right level (eg. squatting, or even lying on the ground to get an angle, climbing ladders, lumping gear around (lighting etc)) is reasonable part of a job description.

mechawombat
13-06-2011, 11:29pm
I love to lie down to take pics

Except when people think you are sick and injured :lol: like when I was lting down to get a different perspective for a shot

It did show me that there is still some humanity and caring in a more indifferent world

Scotty72
13-06-2011, 11:52pm
I was intending to stay out of this but...

The silliness of this thread is becoming ridiculous and quite disingenuous.

The OP said it was important to keep fit in order to be a photographer (I understand it was just a discussion starter - no prob with that): correct me if I am wrong but, the vast majority of people would define 'keep fit' as more than the simple act of being able to lie on the floor (then get up), kneel and squat. I am sure that a reasonable person would describe physical fitness as far more than being physically able to perform basic bodily movements.

As someone who has recently had a physical disability suddenly manifest itself, I do not consider myself unfit to work. I am a little slower than I used to be but, I am still able to do my job. Not that I want to but, I could easily do a wedding. In fact, when I was far more impaired than now, I shot a school formal quite successfully - keeping up with 180 x 18 year olds for 6 hours. All without being able to complete a triathlon in Olympic time.

Recently, my employer tried to prevent me from undertaking certain duties on OHS grounds - my union fought on my behalf. It was determined that the fact I can not longer achieve a full sprint or carry certain heavy objects (an old fashioned CRT TV) etc was not relevant. That whilst some in my profession may at times do these tasks, it is not a fundamental requirement of that job (it is for a fire fighter for eg).

The assertion that one must retain a near military grade of fitness to photograph a wedding is utterly absurd. School teachers have to do just as much (if not more) shuffling around, organizing bodies etc than a wedding photographer.

In my case, it wad determined that arbitrary requirements could not be imposed - that the requirements had to be reasonable and relevant. Same would apply for a wedding photographer. Requiring your tog to run a sub 10 sec 100 metres or bench press a small car is totally irrelevant to the job. If you were photographing military exercises, maybe military fitness is relevant - a wedding: good luck convincing a tribunal etc on that.

Simply, to impose such requirements, I believe, is to be actively seeking to discriminate against the disabled and those who are getting on in years. Also, one day, like me, you may be struck with a 'prior condition' you didn't see coming and one day may not be counted as one of the physically elite. Even if not, if you are lucky, you'll get old and your knees will wear out (from all those marathons)

Sure, it may be relevant to exclude someone who is incapable of kneeling to take a shot but, when the OP said maintain fitness, he didn't mean that - to say otherwise, I believe is incorrect.

Scotty

peterb666
14-06-2011, 12:35am
One might like to note that under Australian anti-discrimination legislation, an employer is obliged to make reasonable accommodation for someone with a disability to do a job.

Read it! (http://www.alrc.gov.au/publications/9-anti-discrimination-law/australian-anti-discrimination-law-framework)

arthurking83
14-06-2011, 5:23am
Maybe the fitness level requirement for being a professional photographer should be equal too(or greater) than the photography brief itself! :confused013

That is, if you're required to shoot a series of military exercises, then obviously you should be at least as fit as the average military person, although some of the higher end military persons I've seen don't appear to be any fitter than your average pizza shop owner.. but I digress.
If your job entails shooting weddings, then all that should be required of you in terms of fitness would be that of the average wedding guest, which at the last wedding I'd attended was approximately the same level as the average pizza shop owner! :D

I think this mindset of military conditioning(both mental and physical) is a just a tad past the point of ridiculousness.
There are, and have been, far too many successful photographers in all walks of life that have none of this type of training!

What each person requires of their employees and partners is only for them to decide, and the notion of discrimination should have never entered into this thread.

antongorlin
14-06-2011, 6:00am
I go to the gym... do weights. *photo of Arni here*
also, 20 minutes walk from the bus stop to the office - so 40 minutes walking per day

ricktas
14-06-2011, 6:50am

(snip)

Recently, my employer tried to prevent me from undertaking certain duties on OHS grounds

(snip)

You seem to be under the illusion that OHS is there to protect the worker, where it is rather there to protect the employer from being the brunt of workers compensation claims, court cases, legal fees, in my opinion! Your boss would have told you to not do certain duties, not out of compassion for you, but rather concern for his insurance policy, possible costs and liability if you did injure yourself doing those duties.

PH005
14-06-2011, 6:55am
I ride my pushbike EVERY day. Love it.

Longshots
14-06-2011, 8:06am
Scotty

Six replies to date is staying out of it ? ;)

Well it was just a question about what people do to keep fit, based on my own personal opinion ?

The assertion that one must retain a near military grade of fitness to photograph a wedding is utterly absurd. School teachers have to do just as much (if not more) shuffling around, organizing bodies etc than a wedding photographer.

Well I didnt say that, and nor have I read that here - and no offence but when did this become about other careers ? Its related to being able, physically able to move, run, kneel, and climb (as I regularly have to) in order for me to complete my day to day job as a photographer.

Sure, it may be relevant to exclude someone who is incapable of kneeling to take a shot but, when the OP said maintain fitness, he didn't mean that - to say otherwise, I believe is incorrect.

Scotty

I think I understand what I meant a great deal more than you. :th3:

I speak from a position of being a full time photographer, in reality my questions, comments and opinions are going to be based on just that. Miss a shot and you miss a job, its really that brutal - which means you're not fit for the role any longer. And I dont employ anyone other than myself. That brutality is a self assessment.

And again in my position I dont have the luxury of a OHS assessment from my employer because I am my employer, and if I cant cut it I lose the work.

And unfortunately I lost a post yesterday after I'd written it, and in that I explain how much gear I regularly move around and use during a typical shoot.

Today my car is packed with the following approximately 25 kilos of camera bags, plus approximately 55 kilos of lighting gear Bron heads & packs, Bron minipulses, and approx 20 kilos of lighting stands, tripod and associated stuff. I'd estimate that I have to set up and pull down the equipment many times during todays shoot. Its a physical job. And to protect myself from injuries, ones that I can avoid, then the best way of doing that In MY Opinion, is to remain active, and to exercise myself to a level of fitness that I'm comfortable with.

I didnt think my question would ellicit such a furore.

I was simply interested in what other people do to keep fit or perhaps I should have used the word exercise ?

So back to the topic, I'm just about to take my dog for a run before the long day starts :)

Kym
14-06-2011, 8:27am
I don't think anyone is suggesting 'military grade' fitness, but clearly in some photographic assignments a level of fitness is required,
and when required it is not unreasonable to make that a condition of employment.

For the enthusiast an example: don't try climbing a mountain to get a shot unless you can handle the conditions. Safety first!

It's all common sense.

JM Tran
14-06-2011, 8:30am
If your job entails shooting weddings, then all that should be required of you in terms of fitness would be that of the average wedding guest, which at the last wedding I'd attended was approximately the same level as the average pizza shop owner!

Yeah, but no. Try doing weddings full time and tell me how you feel after a few months. Read the above post by Longshot. His 'luggage' is not that much difference to what myself and others carry in their car for a day's work, be it commercial or weddings etc.

I can say fairly in a summary of this thread is that those that engage in photographic activities that require a level of physical and mental stamina/endurance/fitness value the advantages of being fit both of body and mind. Those that have never been exposed to it or felt the need for it would see it differently, and argue otherwise.

Kafter244
14-06-2011, 10:04am
I remember when I was in high school we had to fill in a questionnaire that was supposed to tell us what occupations we would be suited too in later life. One of the questions was 'do you consider yourself physically fit'. I wrote 'no' because I wasn't a gym rat or big into sports or anything...until everyone laughed at me; because of course I was! The purpose was not to see if I could run a marathon but more wether I could do mild manual labour, that's all.

I think with all these fitness programs and stuff in the media at the moment people expect 'fit' to mean much more than it really does...and squatting or laying down many times a day whilst carrying 50kg of gear can be intensive. I used to shoot news stories in the middle east and carrying a 20kg BetaSP machine and sound gear whilst dodging IEDs soon keeps you fit I can tell you! ;) lol

Incidentally, I do realize that job is out of the norm; just another example that not all togs have the luxury of little gear and lots of time. Some of my friends film 'The Amazing Race' now they are fit!! :D

Scotty72
14-06-2011, 10:10am
Longshots,

I did say that I had no problem with your topic - I guess you missed that part. I disagree with you but, have never said you should not hold your view. I do have an issue (and so too does the law) with employers who use fitness as an arbitrary excuse for which to discriminate against the disabled or aged.

The military grade fitness comments were also not directed at you, rather at someone who did imply this.

I intended to stay out of it from last night, when I attempted to task someone to task over what I believed was an attack on the disabled. A moderator chose to remove my post...

Like it or not; like the disabled or not (it is clear that many do wish they would 'go away': there are laws against discrimination.

@Rick, I am under no dis-illusion as to whom the OHS laws are designed to protect. I am also aware of the need for discrimination laws that protect workers from employers who try to use OHS as an excuse to discriminate.

I have been / continue to be a the very pointy end of this - a supervisor who has tried to use the fact I am now less mobile to restrict my duties and change the conditions under which I am employed when my condition has no bearing on my ability to do my work. Simply, my supervisor, just wished to not have to deal with it.

And Peter is 100% correct. An employer is REQUIRED to take all reasonable steps to accommodate a worker / client / contractor etc. with a disability. Simply saying the disabled will make it more difficult / make me feel bad because I have to look at them / cost me money / do not fit into our elitist image is no longer an excuse.

My advice : get used to it or stop being an employer. This is no longer a Dickensian style industrial system.

Scotty

Scotty72
14-06-2011, 10:13am
I remember when I was in high school we had to fill in a questionnaire that was supposed to tell us what occupations we would be suited too in later life. One of the questions was 'do you consider yourself physically fit'. I wrote 'no' because I wasn't a gym rat or big into sports or anything...until everyone laughed at me; because of course I was! The purpose was not to see if I could run a marathon but more wether I could do mild manual labour, that's all.

I think with all these fitness programs and stuff in the media at the moment people expect 'fit' to mean much more than it really does...and squatting or laying down many times a day whilst carrying 50kg of gear can be intensive. I used to shoot news stories in the middle east and carrying a 20kg BetaSP machine and sound gear whilst dodging IEDs soon keeps you fit I can tell you! ;) lol

Incidentally, I do realize that job is out of the norm; just another example that not all togs have the luxury of little gear and lots of time. Some of my friends film 'The Amazing Race' now they are fit!! :D

I agree.

But, my rant was aimed at a wedding photographer.

In all the weddings I have attended, I've never seen the togs jump over 10 ft walls, wade through swamps etc. whilst carrying 50kg packpacks. :)

Maybe at an Al-Qaeda wedding?

kiwi
14-06-2011, 10:21am
I'm not fit at all. I can manage weddings OK, but it's very taxing where it's a whole day thing....if i was fit could I do them better ? Well, yes, maybe so...there's lots of factors that go into making anything better though so this is just one of them.

I think shooting sport's another thing, there are plenty of fit young photographers who sprint up and down the sidelines follwoing the play, whereas I prefer a more leisurely pace. I dont get the same number of shots, but, they dont get the same shots as me either, so, swings and roundabouts. Carrying two bodies inclusing a 400 2.8 and 70-200 plus bits on a belt is hard work. After a long day at a carnival etc you certainly feel it - If I was adonis it would be for sure easier but I dont think it makes me any less a photographer really

Interesting thread though

Dylan & Marianne
14-06-2011, 10:27am
The most avid fitness fanatics I know are all having knee operations, back problems and are into substance abuse. I think it is better to be healthy and fit enough to enjoy life rather than make fitness an obsession.

True, moderation goes a long way, but to give you everday person type examples (eg not super athletes getting ACLs done and other overuse injuries) - I run a clinic assessing fitness for surgery in people about to undergo orthopaedic procedures (eg joint replacements) - nearly all (about 80-90%) of these patients are overweight. Weight is a big factor in the chances of developing all sorts of health nasties in the future other than osteoarthritis!

As for needing to keep fit for photography - it certainly allows you to access places as a landscape photographer that you might not otherwise consider (take Michael aka mickeymoo for example and his pictures of the southwest national park in tassie).

I eat horribly but fortunately for me, the exercise keeps the weight in check (along with some genes no doubt). An hour a day of intense exercise is what keeps me going (10-15k run , non stop heavy bag workout, hill running and cycling etc). I don't have too much time on my hands so my theory is to cram it all in that one hour without causing injury!) - it is an addiction to some degree - I feel like a slug on the rare days I'm not exercising. the horrible eating however, has destroyed my teeth :(

Longshots
14-06-2011, 10:27am
Scotty I didnt miss your first point, but then you appeared to be reestablishing what you originally said ?

Back to the topic- this was me asking about how people exercise.:confused013

If you think you should have a topic about the laws of discrimination against disabled then please start a separate topic. On that issue I dont disagree with you. :)

And most photographers I know dont employ other photographers.

And FWIW, I had to find a new career because I "broke" my back when I was 30. And since then I've had 6 operations on various other parts of my ageing body, all due from that initial career :) Keeping fit is one way of keeping my ageing body from breaking down any more than it already has :lol:

JM Tran
14-06-2011, 10:34am
I agree.

But, my rant was aimed at a wedding photographer.

In all the weddings I have attended, I've never seen the togs jump over 10 ft walls, wade through swamps etc. whilst carrying 50kg packpacks. :)

Maybe at an Al-Qaeda wedding?

Now why oh why would we need to jump 10 foot walls or wade through swamps, thats just dirty for the bride! Seeing as you keep arguing otherwise, I'll put up some photo samples.

We do need to maintain a level of stamina to be able to carry a lot of things in all environments. Examples from an average day of wedding work for me, and commercial stuff. When you are working with me or for me, one needs to be able to do a lot of things. Walking in snow for example, to do a pre-wedding shoot requires a degree of fitness. But the photos below are nothing compared to what some other photographers and videographers on here go through:)

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/endless_photography/VE5F2280-1.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/endless_photography/NKN_9070.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/endless_photography/IMG_4651.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/endless_photography/IMG_7504copy1.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/endless_photography/IMG_0668.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/endless_photography/6689_120865356536_586911536_2567500_7358552_n.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/endless_photography/31223_408932941536_586911536_4580783_2035638_n.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/endless_photography/197390_10150156842401537_586911536_6947234_3972343_n.jpg

Longshots
14-06-2011, 10:47am
I dont think a simple click on a thanks is enough - so Thank you for showing the images.

I keep wondering how a simple question has turned into such a debate :confused013

flame70
14-06-2011, 10:56am
great to see some behind the scenes shots of your work again and the effort that goes into your work.
Big tick from me

Scotty72
14-06-2011, 11:23am
Wouldn't it be nice to live in a world where people were judged on their ability and determination to do things - rather than the preconceived, usually incorrect prejudices of others.

This idea that photographers are going around pushing themselves to the limits of human endurance (to shoot a wedding) is bizarre. How many times do wedding togs come home and think, 'I was lucky to survive that!'?

As for accessing certain locations (again, I am not speaking of the tip of Mt Everest), even when I was reduced to a walking stick (a tripod is a good substitute), I was able to scramble up and down a 10 foot rock ledge and over rocks at Bare Island (an AP meet). All whilst carrying my camera, tripod, 10-20, 24-105L, 70-200L, 150-500 & various other crap.

So, it is far more relevant to judge people on what they are capable of or determined to do: not by what your pre-conceived, prejudiced notions of what disabled or elderly should resign themselves to do.

By the way JM, despite not being a green beret, I can still:
-throw a door into a creek (why I would want to is a different story) but, I may not be able to out-run the park ranger who comes to take me away.
-stand waist deep in water
-push a piano (in fact, this I did just last month - pushing and shoving furniture is an everyday teacher activity)
-drool over a beautiful lady striking a suggestive pose (I think I could summon the strength for that)
-go swimming with a TV (again, not something that would ever occur to me)
-walk through snow (well, I walked across a few hundred yards of soft, wet beach sand yesterday)
-carry a bed down the middle of a busy street - I think you may want to re-read your OHS obligations (well, I had to (with the help of a mate) carry a fridge)
-OK, you got me, I am not willing to be crucified (is that a requirement on your photo shoots?)

:scrtch:

Scotty

gerry
14-06-2011, 11:34am
pffft that pianos got wheels :rolleyes:

this thread reminds me of that situation where the wildlife photographer camped out in a swamp to a nail a shot and caught all kind of nasties..

I keep wondering how a simple question has turned into such a debate :confused013

ah you should know better :) - AP is the best place for conversational topics and social commentary....

fitness and physical wellbeing have nothing to do with photography imo, why stay fit/healthy just for a job or hobby? - fitness and physical wellbeing are a simple fact of life and come well before any occupation or hobby i have ever had. Take photography out of the equation :)

replace
Photographers need to be fit - how do you keep fit

with
People need to be fit - how do you keep fit

JM Tran
14-06-2011, 11:36am
throw a door into a creek (why I would want to is a different story) but, I may not be able to out-run the park ranger who comes to take me away.
Carry 3 house doors into the forest and creek and back, I dont know, can you? I had a hard time with it as most people would.

stand waist deep in water
in winter whilst trying not to slip and juggle camera gear as well. A bit of manual dexterity required there. Not hard at all to do, but clumsiness has claimed many a good camera.

push a piano (in fact, this I did just last month - pushing and shoving furniture is an everyday teacher activity)
how long did you move heavy props for? A single push or for a 10 hour photoshoot on location?

drool over a beautiful lady striking a suggestive pose (I think I could summon the strength for that)
forgot to mention one has to carry all those props around her and under her like the chaise lounge? Can you do that for a whole day around the city?

go swimming with a TV (again, not something that would ever occur to me)
manual dexterity and stamina goes a long way:)

walk through snow (well, I walked across a few hundred yards of soft, wet beach sand yesterday)
with about 15kg of gear on your back for a whole day? Walk on soft sand with 15kg on your back and tell me how it was?

carry a bed down the middle of a busy street - I think you may want to re-read your OHS obligations (well, I had to (with the help of a mate) carry a fridge)
sorry my staff knows exactly what they are doing and what they are capable of and what they cant do, and I do not make them do things I would not do:) Dont forget to bend at the knees!

OK, you got me, I am not willing to be crucified (is that a requirement on your photo shoots?)

make a giant heavy cross and hold it up and secure it into the ground, can you?

I dont know, your responses have came from the rational to the amusing, some might say you are scraping the barrel for replies.......:th3:

Kym
14-06-2011, 11:39am
This idea that photographers are going around pushing themselves to the limits of human endurance (to shoot a wedding) is bizarre. How many times do wedding togs come home and think, 'I was lucky to survive that!'?

I shot a wedding with my wife as assistant Saturday fortnight ago in Melbourne. (and I really don't normally do weddings, but it was a classic family friend scenario etc)
While not requiring 'military' fitness levels, it was a very long and tiring day, by the end of the reception (which was an afternoon event) we just crashed in our room.
Arthur dropped by a bit later for a quick catch up (which was great!) but he could tell I was quite stuffed.

Bottom line, if you are going to shoot this sort of event you do need to be mobile and need to keep up with everything.

JMT goes to more extremes than I would ;)

Dylan & Marianne
14-06-2011, 12:03pm
I think I agree with the sentiment that you don't NEED to keep fit
But the benefits of fitness in whatever you do (including photography) seem to be brought into question.
How about this question (allbeit not really related to the OP question)
With you current skill set - would you be a better photographer if you fitter?
- you might say there would be no difference, but you definitely wouldn't be worse off!

Now, back to the OP topic - have a laugh at me if you like but this is me keeping fit :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJvUpuZVy14

peterb666
14-06-2011, 12:21pm
great to see some behind the scenes shots of your work again and the effort that goes into your work.
Big tick from me

I have moved a grand piano by myself and it was quite easy. They are on wheels. You don't need to be fit to push a grand piano.

The photos are a nice stunt but what it shows is that a major photo shoot is a team effort.

If there is a specific requirement for fitness in the job, it should be in the job description. I haven't seen that in the job for a photographer but no doubt there would be specialist niche jobs where there would be a such a requirement.

This thread has become quite silly. :confused013

JM Tran
14-06-2011, 12:29pm
I have moved a grand piano by myself and it was quite easy. They are on wheels. You don't need to be fit to push a grand piano.

lol and when someone pulls their back or muscle, what then?

The photos are a nice stunt but what it shows is that a major photo shoot is a team effort.

team effort or solo effort, either way someone needs to be able to do it, be it a group exercise or you, or me. You need to be able to carry out the task and perform regardless if it take 1 or 1 million ppl to do something.

once again, being fit is more than just about physical fitness as we have already established that a few times on here. If you think you can do it, go ahead and have fun! Just dont complain when something happened which could have been avoided.

For some of us on AP, photography is more than just grabbing a camera and going out for a leisurely stroll to get a photo. I hope you can understand that Peter.

gerry
14-06-2011, 12:32pm
Now, back to the OP topic - have a laugh at me if you like but this is me keeping fit :P

I had a little chuckle :) - but seriously, I never laugh at any one having a go at staying fit - as long as your working hard got that heart rate up it dont matter if your in the slow lane or the fast lane. two thumbs up dylan.

Longshots
14-06-2011, 12:39pm
OK SO....... :)

Sighs silently......

Original question was

Photographers need to be fit - how do you keep fit ?

I began with an opinion formed as a full time photographer.

I didnt say that you HAVE TO be fit, whatever your occupation.

Nor did I say that to be a photographer you MUST be fit.

The only question I asked was what other people do to keep fit - regardless of their occupation. Few people actually answered it ?

Surely thats a simple question ? :cool:

peterb666
14-06-2011, 12:41pm
For some of us on AP, photography is more than just grabbing a camera and going out for a leisurely stroll to get a photo. I hope you can understand that Peter.

I have no problem understanding that. That doesn't mandate super-human fitness or a level of fitness that is generally irrelevant to the task. Photography for many is JUST more than a leisurely stroll and I am quite happy to have photography as an obsession.

I think it is important to respect other people and not make undue demands that are generally irrelevant.

My first workplace was a factory over 35 years ago and I am not totally unfamiliar with OH&S. I have seen what happens when someone falls trough an asbestos roof and breaks their back on a milling machine. Later I became the OH&S trainer for a government department. That may have been a while ago, but common sense is important as is the knowledge on how to do a job safely. It doesn't matter how fit you are if you don't have the knowledge, common sense and judgement acquired with experience, it won't help you.

peterb666
14-06-2011, 12:44pm
OK SO....... :)
Original question was

Photographers need to be fit - how do you keep fit ?

Easy. I walk a lot - probably more than most people. I eat healthy food. I don't consume much alcohol and I don't take drugs. I look after my health. I use common sense.

Longshots
Who said anything about a "super human fitness"

JM Tran
I have no problem understanding that. That doesn't mandate super-human fitness or a level of fitness that is generally irrelevant to the task. Photography for many is JUST more than a leisurely stroll and I am quite happy to have photography as an obsession.

I think it is important to respect other people and not make undue demands that are generally irrelevant.

My first workplace was a factory over 35 years ago and I am not totally unfamiliar with OH&S. I have seen what happens when someone falls trough an asbestos roof and breaks their back on a milling machine. Later I became the OH&S trainer for a government department. That may have been a while ago, but common sense is important as is the knowledge on how to do a job safely. It doesn't matter how fit you are if you don't have the knowledge, common sense and judgement acquired with experience, it won't help you.

Exactly, common sense comes first and foremost.

Longshots was speaking from a full time professional's point of view, and so was I. Obviously it is a different requirement for amateurs and hobbyists. But for the latter to say that you dont need any level of fitness is a bit absurd.

If you dont think you can do it then dont do it. Nor should ppl think oh I can do that just by looking at photos without having an idea. Its not just about lifting or moving or doing something just once and saying you can do it, its about doing it again and again and again over a long period of time or a whole day.

I dont know why there is this idiotic notion in this thread about having military level fitness to do things, can someone please quote where it was written? Or was someone assuming/implying things again?

Scotty72
14-06-2011, 1:19pm
@Peter, maybe we are just pining for the days when we were younger, more perfect, bullet-proof and STILL knew everything? :p

Now, one more time. Yes, it is important, IN LIFE, to have a reasonable level of fitness so you can live a normal life and not be bed ridden.

This applies to photography - but no more or less (more or less) than just about any other hobby or profession.

My mother used to stress the importance of being fit and healthy in order for her to do her knitting (long hours of concentration and arms that quickly feel heavy).

Photography is NOT special (or photography is just as super special as every other endeavour).

Scotty

Parkeran
14-06-2011, 4:54pm
I do running to stay fit. I also walk around and take photos, which I find is just as good for practice as it is fitness.

gerry
14-06-2011, 5:20pm
The only question I asked was what other people do to keep fit - regardless of their occupation. Few people actually answered it ?

Surely thats a simple question ? :cool:

But it was in context of photography, now if you asking what I do to stay fit fullstop then thats easy :) - cycle to work (25 kms each way - not every day though), swim at least 2km at least twice a week and bench press a very heavy 2yro every day (probably 3 sets of 10?) . Food wise - that ain't rocket science, balance and very very little soft drink (that stuff is a killer).

yummymummy
14-06-2011, 5:21pm
how to I keep fit?? I HAVE 6 KIDS!! :eek: I don't get TIME to go to the gym, I am forever running around after one or 6 of them, Karate twice a week ( for all of us except hubby, and Abby( me included as soon as my knee has been fixed :() ), footy training twice a week, game every sunday, then we try and get out and go somewhere on a Sunday afternoon after footy, with 5 boys we NEED them to wear themselves out before the afternoon lol.I walk the kids to daycare twice a week, and I've just started volunteering as a marshal at QLD raceway for Champions Ride days... so yeah, I don't get time to get fit lol..
Oh and as far as junk food goes... we can't AFFORD to eat it, one meal at maccas for the 8 of us, costs nearly $70! that's nearly a quarter of our weekly food bill! lol

Dylan & Marianne
14-06-2011, 5:23pm
I forgot to mention something else which I find critical to photographing landscapes on a hike.

People at Unley oval might know me in the months before a trek as I am lugging 30kg up and down the grandstand as fast as I can for 1 hour.

Thinking about this has made me change my mind about 'needing' to be fit. For what I personally want to do with photography, yes , I need to be fit. But that is only because of my desires. You may not want to take images of Everest from Kala Patthar but many photographers do and do require a certain degree of fitness to do so.

So in revised summary - yes, for some genres of photography, you do NEED to be fit. For others, it would not be a disadvantage.

Scotty72
14-06-2011, 5:48pm
But it was in context of photography, now if you asking what I do to stay fit fullstop then thats easy :) - cycle to work (25 kms each way - not every day though), swim at least 2km at least twice a week and bench press a very heavy 2yro every day (probably 3 sets of 10?) . Food wise - that ain't rocket science, balance and very very little soft drink (that stuff is a killer).

100%

Since I went from cycling 12,000 km a year to about zero, my weight has been maintained - ok, a bit heavier. I thought I would go the way of a balloon. But, I have 95% cut out soft drink... That is prob the root of most dietary evil. :eek:

Longshots
14-06-2011, 6:53pm
Its funny but I thought by asking the question, I was relating it to what I do, but anyway, glad to see the topic back on track :)

Funny also, that just tonight, I've got back from photographing a very large commercial building - a huge warehouse/business. And as I switched the timer on to ten seconds, quickly got down from the ladder, and knew that I had 20 seconds of exposure, that I needed to run down the length of the 850 meter building firing the Bron flashhead in my hands at every 100 metres or so, while carrying the 12 kilo battery pack, I had to smile at the comment that photographers didnt need to run fast - well I'm afraid thats what I was trying to say that I do, because at 55, and fast approaching 56, actually I do, which is what I was trying to say :) Hence why I try and keep as fit as I can :) :lol:

Kafter244
14-06-2011, 7:13pm
I'd love to see that warehouse shot Longshots! :)

Sarge
14-06-2011, 7:15pm
Apart from the obvious (walking) which comes with photography I ride regularly - more of a MTB fan but still like to put my road bike to good use. Other than that the odd run and that's about it. :D

(I hate walking though because it's so slow and you don't really go anywhere near as far as when you go for a run or ride. :rolleyes:)

zollo
14-06-2011, 7:47pm
My favourite motto is "Never spend a long time listening to someone talk about something they have never done"
The commercial/wedding togs on here already know what it takes (fitness wise) others please read the ad I pasted from Seek.com 2 minutes ago and weep :) sorry to be quite blunt...

kiwi
14-06-2011, 8:02pm
I fail on the coffee making anyhow

gerry
14-06-2011, 9:20pm
I fail on the coffee making anyhow

that is absolutely classic - had me in stitches for ages!!

btw that ad could be exactly the same for fedex delivery van driver...and also i remember my job ad had something about being physically fit and I work in a office :P

JM Tran
14-06-2011, 9:36pm
My favourite motto is "Never spend a long time listening to someone talk about something they have never done"

haha I was gonna write that Zollo but I felt it would have offended certain individuals so I refrained, glad you did though.

btw that ad could be exactly the same for fedex delivery van driver...and also i remember my job ad had something about being physically fit and I work in a office

back in my uni days working at TNT, I sometimes assisted the courier drivers and they really do load a lot of stuff esp at the sorting and distribution centre all by themselves onto their vans for delivery, back pains and problems are common in the logistics field:)

Scotty72
14-06-2011, 9:50pm

I hope you are all right...

I'm guessing when the teacher at your primary school warned you to not play with guns, shoot heroine, play footy on the main highway and pick a fist fight with the local triad gang, you said, "I'm not listening to someone talk about something they have never done."

:th3:

Scotty

Speedway
14-06-2011, 11:05pm
I keep fit chasing ISP's that keep telling me my internet connection is testing ok when it takes up to 2 minutes to download 3 emails (text only, no photos or attachments). The run-around they give you would keep anyone fit.
Seriously I don’t do anything specifically to keep fit, I am 67 and after many years needing a walking stick just to walk around the house I had a hip replacement 2 1/2 years ago. Last Saturday I spent 9hrs walking the infield of a go kart track taking over 1700 shots, I regularly get up before dawn and go for a 5-10km walk through the bush photographing whatever comes along. My camera bag weighs in at 13kg and I have carried that from the bottom to the top of Kathryn Gorge and back.I also know a few fitness fanatics younger than me that have passed away or are disabled due to stroke or heart problems, I also know a couple of farmers in their 90's that can still put in a full days work and they have never been to a gym or used any exercise equipment in their lives.
Keith.

gerry
14-06-2011, 11:08pm
The commercial/wedding togs on here already know what it takes (fitness wise) others please read the ad I pasted from Seek.com 2 minutes ago and weep :) sorry to be quite blunt...

haha I was gonna write that Zollo but I felt it would have offended certain individuals so I refrained, glad you did though.

and i think with that comment and mindset you have well and truly sent this thread into another level :confused013

I work in a industry not that different to this in terms of professional and enthusiats and whilst the ethusiats can be a royal pain in the rear one always maintains respect since there are some enthusiats out there who do the job with more passion and dedication and in some cases, better than the professionals.

I will certainly think twice about posting in threads like this, even though I love to see great open and robust debates...

back in my uni days working at TNT, I sometimes assisted the courier drivers and they really do load a lot of stuff esp at the sorting and distribution centre all by themselves onto their vans for delivery, back pains and problems are common in the logistics field

yep i hear ya :) , uni days for me meant long nights in pubs and back breaking work in a cellar...no amount of fitness will help ya there (just someone else to break their back :th3:)

JM Tran
14-06-2011, 11:39pm
and i think with that comment and mindset you have well and truly sent this thread into another level

I work in a industry not that different to this in terms of professional and enthusiats and whilst the ethusiats can be a royal pain in the rear one always maintains respect since there are some enthusiats out there who do the job with more passion and dedication and in some cases, better than the professionals.

I will certainly think twice about posting in threads like this, even though I love to see great open and robust debates...

Oh geez, let me put it in layman's terms - would you listen to a general about warfare who has been there and done that or an armchair strategist who thinks they could do that? Would you listen to advice from a race car driver or from some Joe with a sportscar? I dont know, common sense dictates the guy with the experience tends to have.....that thing, I think its called experience. That quote by Zollo really does not get any more simpler than that. Otherwise I have to question your comprehension skills?

I keep fit chasing ISP's that keep telling me my internet connection is testing ok when it takes up to 2 minutes to download 3 emails (text only, no photos or attachments). The run-around they give you would keep anyone fit.
Seriously I don’t do anything specifically to keep fit, I am 67 and after many years needing a walking stick just to walk around the house I had a hip replacement 2 1/2 years ago. Last Saturday I spent 9hrs walking the infield of a go kart track taking over 1700 shots, I regularly get up before dawn and go for a 5-10km walk through the bush photographing whatever comes along. My camera bag weighs in at 13kg and I have carried that from the bottom to the top of Kathryn Gorge and back.I also know a few fitness fanatics younger than me that have passed away or are disabled due to stroke or heart problems, I also know a couple of farmers in their 90's that can still put in a full days work and they have never been to a gym or used any exercise equipment in their lives.
Keith.

Hi Keith, billionaire George Burns smoked all his life until the age of 95, does that mean that smoking wont affect your health and lifespan at all? Yeah I know some guys who have died young, blah blah blah. Yeah my girlfriend's grandma turned 74 two days ago and still works on her farm blah blah blah. But these exceptional individuals who have lived longer than some other individuals doesnt really represent the fact that maintaining a degree of physical and mental fitness still leads to a better lifespan than those that dont. Can you really argue with that fact?

I hope you are all right...

I'm guessing when the teacher at your primary school warned you to not play with guns, shoot heroine, play footy on the main highway and pick a fist fight with the local triad gang, you said, "I'm not listening to someone talk about something they have never done."

LOL! I dont know about you but the possession of common sense is inherent in most people. Scraping the bottom of the barrels with that analogy with the teacher there mate. Have some common sense, will travel! Otherwise, lets not degenerate into more farcical assumptions and bottom of the barrel analogies.

Speedway
15-06-2011, 12:17am
Keith.

Hi Keith, billionaire George Burns smoked all his life until the age of 95, does that mean that smoking wont affect your health and lifespan at all? Yeah I know some guys who have died young, blah blah blah. Yeah my girlfriend's grandma turned 74 two days ago and still works on her farm blah blah blah. But these exceptional individuals who have lived longer than some other individuals doesnt really represent the fact that maintaining a degree of physical and mental fitness still leads to a better lifespan than those that dont. Can you really argue with that fact?

I agree JMT but all that physical fitness doesn't always work either, overworking and straining can cause damage too.
Keith.

JM Tran
15-06-2011, 12:24am
I agree JMT but all that physical fitness doesn't always work either, overworking and straining can cause damage too.
Keith.

I agree with that, but we are/were discussing fitness as a whole including stamina and endurance even mentally. I value mental endurance much more than any physical attributes. A clear mind at all times will always function better even under duress and fatigue.

Xenedis
15-06-2011, 5:34am
The amount of chest-beating and (verbal) sparring in this thread might have actually caused an increase in some people's fitness levels...

After four pages of posts, I think that all I can deduce from this thread is that:

you don't need to specifically be very physically fit for many forms of photography, but it can help;
physical fitness in life, generally, is a good thing;
my dad is bigger than your dad; and, somewhere in there,
I, <name>, do/do not keep fit by <activity/lack thereof>.

Dylan & Marianne
15-06-2011, 6:06am
"Never spend a long time listening to someone talk about something they have never done"

I'm not sure about the word Never in that quote - but I certainly put more weight on hearing someone talk about something they have done.
eg. I would put more weight on the reformed alcoholic telling me about the dangers of drinking rather than some of my super sheltered inner suburb friends.
on a lighter note, I would put more weight in a world champion starcraft player telling me how to create a build order rather than a theorycrafter who has a <20% win record on battle.net :P

er, oops , veered off topic again !

virgal_tracy
15-06-2011, 10:21am
I am coming into this late but I'll add my 0.02c worth.

PErsonally I train for football (soccer) twice a week and play on Sundays. Even in these days of interchange I still invariably play 90 mins every game. Quite often this can be the day after a 10-12 hour wedding. I run 3 x week, love to get out on the MTB and play with 2 kids under 6 so my general fitness is fairly good but could still be better.

For weddings I will generally shoot with 2 camera bodies hanging off a BlackRapid dual shoulder harness and regularly would get sore shoulders. The more I did of this the less soreness I would get. Conditioning for what you are doing is very important. While general fitness is wonderful specific fitness is so much better.

I am fortunate to have a background in exercise science and as has been mentioned in a previous post (sorry to the original poster for not quoting) different sports and fitness regimes do not always translate to other activities.

The best example that I was taught was talking about endurance. Take a 120kg weightlifter and a 60kg african marathon runner. Who would you say has the better endurance? If you were to send them both on a 20 km run then the marathon runner wins hands down. Ask them to carry 20 x 50kg cement bags to a 2nd floor on a building site and who do you think will accomplish the task first?

General fitness is good for life, specific fitness is better for your work role.

zollo
15-06-2011, 10:56am
I'm not sure about the word Never in that quote - but I certainly put more weight on hearing someone talk about something they have done.
eg. I would put more weight on the reformed alcoholic telling me about the dangers of drinking rather than some of my super sheltered inner suburb friends.
on a lighter note, I would put more weight in a world champion starcraft player telling me how to create a build order rather than a theorycrafter who has a <20% win record on battle.net :P

er, oops , veered off topic again !

I'll just quickly clarify that the only reason I posted that quote (its not mine btw) was to help clarify that those who work in the commercial photography "should" know what it takes to work in the industry a bit more thoroughly than those who dont. There were some arguments put forward that claimed fitness is not necessary at all for photographers and some that may have put it down as discrimination almost, yet clearly, the commercial shooters on this forum arent't the only ones who think fitness is a must. So at the end of the day Longshots title for this thread is completely accurate "photographers need to be fit" maybe he could /should have inserted commercial or full time working photographers etc etc once again sorry if it came across a bit blunt
and to clarify myself further I do not think you have to be superhuman fit to take a photograph on the weekend I'm more talking about full time stuff

Bear Dale
15-06-2011, 1:17pm
Zooms.....the reason for fat photographers.

Sign the petition. Help your fellow photographers reduce their earthly footprint.

www.savefatphotographersandbanzoomlenses.com

Dylan & Marianne
15-06-2011, 1:37pm
lol jim, that web address looks interesting but I can't access it!!

Scotty72
15-06-2011, 3:12pm
If any industry (be it photography or generals in the military) only ever listen to other 'experts' who think like they do, that may explain why this country is stuck in an innovation black hole.

Without outside influence, you simply get inbred opinion.

mikec
15-06-2011, 3:46pm
I also know a couple of farmers in their 90's that can still put in a full days work and they have never been to a gym or used any exercise equipment in their lives.

They also have the advantage of a life time of physical work on their side...

JM Tran
15-06-2011, 6:00pm
If any industry (be it photography or generals in the military) only ever listen to other 'experts' who think like they do, that may explain why this country is stuck in an innovation black hole.

talking about one's health here, nothing to do with innovation in Australia, just common sense.

define 'inbred' opinion please? I dont know about you, but I rather have knowledgeable 'inbred' opinions rather than stupid or wrong opinions from outside influence. I welcome and love outside influence in my life, but not when its stupid/wrong/misleading and the said argument cannot back down due to pride and digging a hole too far to China:th3:

Would the AIPP be defined as having 'inbred' opinions then? Since it is, in a general sense - a formal body of those in the industry, to assist others in the industry, hence we are all inbreds! :lol:

terry.langham
15-06-2011, 6:08pm
Wow, 1/2 page on topic and 3 1/2 of squabbling over semantics. If only Longshots had titled the post "SOME photographers need to be fit" it would have possible been only mildly interesting instead of another 'car crash' thread (one you don't want to read but really don't want to miss either). Seriously Longshots, what were you thinking [/sarcasm] :D

Longshots
15-06-2011, 6:12pm
For some reason I cant quote this latest gem. So its pasted and copied:

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post

And now its suggested that I should gave written something different. Well heres a challenge to some - go back and read what I originally wrote.

My only question was how do you keep fit. And thats produced a tirade of simple antogonistic abuse from some against people such as myself, a full time professional photographer - who meets other full time photographers, and guess what, theres one thing in common, most, MOST are people who need to stay fit.

So I stupidly asked what others did to stay fit, after I'd made an informed comment about others in my profession.

There was no slant or dig against those who are not fit. There was nothing from me against disabled people who cant kneel etc. There was only one question, which followed a personal observation (gathered after 35 years of selling my work to those who post offensive comments like calling me inbred !). And I believe that if those interested in a career in photography - and guess what, there are some here - look at the regular postings on the topic.

So this is what I originally posted - for the love of GOD read it:

I've found that its important to keep fit as a photographer.

Out of curiosity I was interested to know what others do to stay fit ?

You see - there's the personal observation

And then thats followed by the simple question of what others do to keep fit.

If posting that simple and innocuous question can elicit so many issues on OHS, and other great speeches from those who simply want to attack everything I post here, then its clear that theres no point in posting anything at all.

ricktas
15-06-2011, 6:40pm
I am closing this thread. Unfortunately William posted what was a great topic which could have been filled with some interesting answer about what AP members do to keep fit, nothing more. But it was hijacked by a few with alternate agendas and frankly that is pathetic. AP is here to be fun, enjoyable and educational about photography and this thread was nothing to do with what your Boss has done to you in your workplace etc.

As for the 'inbred opinion' remark. EVERY MEMBER on AP is entitled to have and state their opinion, and that remark was well below the standard I expect from members on this site.