PDA

View Full Version : "Volcanic Ash in Tasmania"

William
12-06-2011, 9:36am
For everyone in Tassie, Seeing the Volcanic Ash cloud from the Chilian Volcano eruption is moving your way , This might be a real good opertunity to get some excellent Sunrises and Sunsets , So long as your not choking to death at the time :D You should get some interesting colours, Just a heads up if you had'nt heard the news this morning ;)

ricktas
12-06-2011, 9:57am
Hi. Yeah, we could get some great photos. Hopefully the cloud cover will move off and we get to see the sun too

William
12-06-2011, 10:02am
Hi. Yeah, we could get some great photos. Hopefully the cloud cover will move off and we get to see the sun too

:lol: Would be much the same up here Rick, Hardly seen the sun for 2 weeks :( So like you then it would'nt make much difference , But worth keeping an eye on ;)

Duane Pipe
12-06-2011, 11:26am
Maybe we might get some ash down here in southern Vic too Bill :confused013

William
12-06-2011, 11:35am
Maybe we might get some ash down here in southern Vic too Bill :confused013

I'd say so, Keep a check on the news, A heap of flights cancelled to NZ and Tassie today because of it :eek: Not that that worries me personally, But it would be a great inconvienience to some :( Good for Photographers tho :)

Duane Pipe
13-06-2011, 8:46am
Thanks Bill. They must be expecting it to be thick too if they have cancelled flights, I will google it later. Cheers mate. PS I very rarely get the chance to shoot sunsets, I cant drive after 3 pm due to
my drinking :(

Duane Pipe
13-06-2011, 8:57am
A snippet from the news

"While the main ash cloud is expected to pass to the south of the Australian mainland it has reached airspace in southern Tasmania and the south island of New Zealand," the authority said in a statement.

"The northern edge of the cloud is expected to reach Victoria, southern NSW and the Australian Capital Territory (Canberra), but it is also diffusing.:th3:

Analog6
13-06-2011, 9:47am
My sister emailed that last night the sunset from her house (high up at Lenah Valley) was violet, and I saw some spectacular shots on another forum of said phenomena. Let's see 'em, Taswegians!

William
13-06-2011, 12:54pm
Thanks Bill. They must be expecting it to be thick too if they have cancelled flights, I will google it later. Cheers mate. PS I very rarely get the chance to shoot sunsets, I cant drive after 3 pm due to
my drinking :(

:lol: I have the same problem,:D I hope we get some , Just a little up here , @ Odille, would love to see a purple sunrise :th3:

CarolTas
13-06-2011, 3:28pm
Thanks for the tip William. I didn't spot this thread until today though.

Driving home just after 5.05 there were spectacular colours in the sky. West in the sky was a brilliant red (straight over Mt Dromedary) and behind us was violet colours. I did grab my camera and used the settings as they were - Manual, 1/400s and f/4.5 or so. If we stopped the car I would probably have missed it. My shot has a fair bit of noise in the dark areas. I'll try again sometime but hopefully for a planned shoot.

ricktas
13-06-2011, 3:32pm
I'm on the road but tonight looks like it might provide some good light for those with their cameras. I left mine at home today!

William
13-06-2011, 4:02pm
I'm on the road but tonight looks like it might provide some good light for those with their cameras. I left mine at home today!

@ Rick, :Doh: You should know the Rules :D

@ Carol, Sounds interesting , Are you going to post the shots ? :)

ricktas
13-06-2011, 4:17pm
@ Rick, :Doh: You should know the Rules :D

@ Carol, Sounds interesting , Are you going to post the shots ? :)

My rules are that sometimes it is good to not have the camera and just enjoy the experience. I love taking photos, but also love not taking them and just sitting back and taking in the sunset etc, without thinking f18 at 10 seconds...hehe

William
13-06-2011, 4:25pm
My rules are that sometimes it is good to not have the camera and just enjoy the experience. I love taking photos, but also love not taking them and just sitting back and taking in the sunset etc, without thinking f18 at 10 seconds...hehe

Fair enough Rick, Good call :th3: Must admit I break the rule as well :D, For those that don't know what we're talking about , ( Always take your Camera with you) Ya never know what will happen :)