PDA

View Full Version : Beginner - Should I be using M, TV or AV

mary13
11-06-2011, 11:45am
Hi all

I am only just starting out using my SLR and am 7 weeks into an 8 week Introductory SLR course.

We have been advised to only use Manual on the dial. I am now confused after reading lots of threads where people say to use TV or AV.

I am not even really sure what the difference is between the three settings and now confused over which one to use.

I went out this morning to try my first sunrise shots and had so much trouble finding the correct Shutter speed and Aperture, I kept the ISO at 100.

Would love to hear peoples opinions and explanations.

Thank you
Mary

kiwi
11-06-2011, 12:20pm
i think the course is probably telling you to use manual to force you to think and understand settings. people use manual sometimes, and av and tv sometimes too, it really depends

Brigitte
11-06-2011, 12:29pm
I'm new to the DSLR thing as well but was advised to start with the aperture setting. I photographed everything for a period of time just with this setting. Having done this it certainly gave me a better understanding of aperature. I then spent some time down at the local creek where the water flows over some rocks playing just with the shutter speeds. Photographing the same subject with different variables of aperture or shutter speed makes it easy to see the effect it is having. I'm still not using total manual as I want to master the other 2 modes first. When I want to make sure I get things right I set it on P mode and also then play either with the aperture or shutter speed. ISO I leave on auto for the moment. Starting with manual mode I think would be very hard as 2 variables have to be considered. I also feel that camera manufacturers give us the technology to ensure we get good photographs so why not use it.
Keep trying and more importantly having fun!

Wayne
11-06-2011, 12:30pm
Depends on what you are shooting and what effect if any you want to achieve.

What's concerning is that 7 weeks into an 8 week course, you haven't be taught what the shutter priority and aperture priority settings are and how/when to use them at a basic level.
Using manual is ok, but not suitable for many things where light changes quickly and constantly like outdoor sports for example.

PH005
11-06-2011, 1:15pm
If and when you are pretty confident that you know what Av and Tv do. Then use one or the other and let your camera do the rest. As you learn more and undrstand how each has an effect then you can experiment more. This is one of the great things about the digital age in photography. It doesn't cost you much to try. :)

Scotty72
11-06-2011, 2:32pm
Even if you use AV / Tv setting, take note of what the camera is doing and try to understand why?

mandab99
11-06-2011, 4:24pm
I am a newbie as well and I have to agree with Brigitte. I feel working my way through the varies modes up to manual is much easier and gives you a better understanding of the three most important factors in a correct exposure - shutter speed, aperture and ISO. I think I would have been lost if I started on manual mode straight away so I dont blame you for feeling confused! As suggested already spend time on each mode and learn what each mode is about. Then study your shots so you can see the connection. Good luck!!!

kiwi
11-06-2011, 5:00pm
Depends on what you are shooting and what effect if any you want to achieve.

What's concerning is that 7 weeks into an 8 week course, you haven't be taught what the shutter priority and aperture priority settings are and how/when to use them at a basic level.
Using manual is ok, but not suitable for many things where light changes quickly and constantly like outdoor sports for example.

I also think that's bizarre that after 7 weeks some very basic stuff is missing

Scotty72
11-06-2011, 5:07pm
get yourself a good book on exposure.

Understanding Exposure (Bryan Peterson) is a good one - but not the only one.

Scotty72
11-06-2011, 5:09pm
I also think that's bizarre that after 7 weeks some very basic stuff is missing

This is week one, minute one stuff, almost

William
11-06-2011, 5:17pm
I'm with Darren, Remember the triangle , Aperture , ISO and shutter, That's it , Don't get too confused with al the other stuff, The Sunny 16 rule applies ,( Check on Google) Think about the size of the aperture f stop , shutter speed, And sensitivity ISO , It's actually very easy if you dont get to caught up in technical stuff , That you dont need when starting out

Kym
11-06-2011, 5:24pm
This is week one, minute one stuff, almost

The AP learning plan starts on Auto and teaches composition first, the 2nd step is DoF via Av (aperture) ;)
So week 2 maybe ! :D

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Indexes:New_To_Photography_Book

mechawombat
11-06-2011, 9:43pm
The AP learning plan starts on Auto and teaches composition first, the 2nd step is DoF via Av (aperture) ;)
So week 2 maybe ! :D

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Indexes:New_To_Photography_Book

And its is FREE!!!:th3:

kiwi
11-06-2011, 11:30pm
Got a link to the course youre on ?

Nikkie
12-06-2011, 8:06am
Good luck with your course :th3:

Tommo224
15-06-2011, 11:34am
I've been thinking about doing a course, but finding the time is something I have trouble with at the moment! :(

I've only just discovered the Manual settings for night time, and slowly learning what's best for what :) but when it comes to daylight, I'm surprised at how good Auto setting can actually be! I'm taking photos with Auto and watching the camera change the settings, then trying them out in Manual and changing the numbers up and down to see what difference it makes with the photo. Found that has actually helped me understand a bit more on my own!

Terri
15-06-2011, 1:40pm
Wow! I must admit manual wouldn't have been the first mode I would choose to shoot in - just too many variables to get your head around all at once. I started with aperture priority, and must say I've hardly left it, unless for a specific purpose - but than depth of field is what I personally consider most important (over shutter speed or ISO).

I reckon it's about getting an understanding of how everything works together - aperture / shutter speed / ISO ... and of course composition. Maybe with your course, full manual is how they think you'll learn that best.

Maezyra
19-06-2011, 12:58pm
My 8 week course through my local community college also only taught us to use the manual mode, I guess, as stated above, to teach about using all of the settings and causing us to really consider what setings we were using and what they meant to our shot. I admit, I knew nothing about Av (Or Aperture Priority as it is on my camera) and Tv (Shutter Priority, I presume?) until I started exploring this site - Basically what they mean is that you control one aspect, either aperture or shutter and the camera automatically controls the rest of it. I don't use it as often as I use the manual setting, but I use Av or Aperture Priority on the odd occasion. You saw the pictures I posted on my social networking site - It would have been smarter to use Aperture Priority, as she is very, very quick and this would have made it much easier to control the shots I was taking, I probably wouldn't have had so many under and over exposed shots, but I didn't, I used manual, making it more challenging for myself. Have a play around with these settings and see what you come up with! Enjoy and explore!! :)

toad
20-06-2011, 2:22pm
Like Maezyra, my community course only pushed full manual.
I am still not used to using Av or Tv!

kiwi
20-06-2011, 2:31pm
:eek::eek::eek::eek: I fail to undertand the logic in that

ricktas
20-06-2011, 2:33pm
:eek::eek::eek::eek: I fail to undertand the logic in that

I concur. Auto, semi auto and manual modes all have a place.

ving
20-06-2011, 2:51pm
I think kyou will find over time that no one mode is the correct mode and you will, as you gain experience be able to decide which mode works best in which situation... till then just experiment. manual is good to show you what each of the other 2 does and how to expose properly, but lets face it if you are shooting on the fly you might not have time to figure out what shutterspeed and aperture to use and so aperture priority is commonly used

BOL! :)

ladysith
21-06-2011, 2:20pm
OMG I've never used all the other ones either .... I've always used any of the auto modes and M.

Never TV, AV etc...

So you reckon work my way to M? Play around with the others first?

kiwi
21-06-2011, 2:54pm
Of course - play with ALL the settings so you can understand them, you'll use all and need to at some stage.

ving
21-06-2011, 3:12pm
like kiwi said, play with all the settings! :D

Art Vandelay
21-06-2011, 3:15pm
There sounds like a bit of a trend with some of these courses overlooking some basics. I recently bumped into a friend I hadn't seen in a while, while yacking she told me of the photography course she had just done and proud of the fact she now only uses manual. Whilst it sounded great on the surface, a bit further into the discussion I realised she uses manual mode with Auto ISO turned on and didn't really comprehend the whole triangle bit and what the auto ISO what actually doing on her behalf.

Scotty72
21-06-2011, 3:39pm
I too use a semi-auto setting from time to time (especially when photographing sport in patch lighting)..

But, I think you need to be taught (and become familiar with the use of) M mode (even if you don't use it) so that you can understand what the camera is doing when you are in semi-auto mode. This will help you understand if Tv or Av is better for you situation.

Scotty

dexter
25-06-2011, 12:58pm
Yes, I must agree, I have found this way of learning different settings is trial and error ,and look at the settings when put on computer program, then decide what is better Auto or manual settings when you are more confident and understand the manual settings of the camera. It is the fun of Digital photography and being new it certainly is a great hobby or profession depending on your ambitions.

Mal

oldfart
25-06-2011, 1:37pm
I have a friend who's new to the SLR world, and while trying to help her come to grips with it found this website,
http://pixelpoppin.com/camera/index.html
A hands on method of seeing what happens when you change settings etc all on one site.

ricktas
25-06-2011, 3:17pm
I have a friend who's new to the SLR world, and while trying to help her come to grips with it found this website,
http://pixelpoppin.com/camera/index.html
A hands on method of seeing what happens when you change settings etc all on one site.

There are several of these : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?24385-Practice-your-settings-on-this-online-camera-demo

Maureen
26-06-2011, 6:26pm
Hi Mary, I've also recently done an 8 week course and the instructors were wonderful but, at the end of the course I was so confused about the same issues that I've hibernated for a while. I have a Panasonic Lumix that is doing me proud until I get back to my SLR. I think I need some warmer weather to encourage me to re-read all my notes. F-stops confuse me too. I understand what they mean but, when I try to use them, I muddle the bit about small aperture and largest numbers and large aperture and small numbers. I've had my SLR for about 6 months. I figure I'll eventually get the hang of it. But it's exciting......!
Maureen