PDA

View Full Version : graveyard etiquette

reaction
11-06-2011, 11:40am
well, I guess everyone eventually wants to try to take some photos in a graveyard. :o

what is the etiquette in doing such shoots? ie, is it OK to touch the stones, are there places we shouldn't walk, things the model shouldn't touch or do?

the model wants to do some vampire stuff, we haven't found a graveyard yet, but want somewhere with long rows of stones close together to get the immersive feel.

Scotty72
11-06-2011, 12:04pm
This depends on exactly what type of shots you were planning with the model.

Normally, my attitude is.

Don't desecrate: she'll be right. So, it you don't walk over; spit on; make fun of; or try to demean...

Applying the "would I like it if it were my mum's grave" test: I'm not sure I would like a bikini or nude model sprawled all over her head-stone (if it were my grave = bikini models = most welcome:p).

I think a vampire theme may also be a little disrespectful.

At the very least, I'd go to a very old (19th C) graveyard where there are unlikely to be grieving relos turning up.

Scotty

jjphoto
11-06-2011, 12:09pm
In additon to the above, don't show names on stones. It's almost always possible to shoot from behind the stone and get virtually the same look so do that if you can. It also improves the shot IMHO.

JJ

William
11-06-2011, 12:59pm
Quote Scotty : Applying the "would I like it if it were my mum's grave" test

This sounds very reasonable to me as well :)

peterb666
11-06-2011, 3:01pm
My mum doesn't have a gravestone, just a brass plaque. BTW, no problems with someone walking over her grave either as it is a lawn cemetery.

I wouldn't complain about a nude model on my grave, but when you are dead, it is hard to complain about anything including the stuff you wouldn't like. I think my dad would appreciate the nude model. He liked the girls, just wasn’t allowed to keep any of them.

BTW, vampires in grave yards - a bit clichéd isn’t it?

If the graves are really, really old, then most respectable stuff should be OK.

arthurking83
11-06-2011, 7:25pm

..... .

ditto!

I'm thinking something more current, appropriate and with the times!

.... Parliament House!

.. not that they're blood sucking, bottom feeding, lowlifes or nuth'n up there .. of course I would never imply anything like that.

Look for cemetery in some old sparsely populated country town. They generally remain untouched since the turn of the century, and have more room to move about freely with lower visitation rates.
Unless you want to shoot in the middle of the night, you don't want to have distracting elements in the scene, nor do you want to be impeding any current processions and suchlike.

Roosta
12-06-2011, 2:45pm
What is that gravyvard you always see in Sydney film production? looks like it disappears into the ocean, from on-high, my guess is on the way to the Southern Beaches.

Any body know?

That would offer some specie views, early morning light and gravestones, or the sun to the back adding depth and shadow.

Scotty72
12-06-2011, 3:09pm
What is that gravyvard you always see in Sydney film production? looks like it disappears into the ocean, from on-high, my guess is on the way to the Southern Beaches.

Any body know?

That would offer some specie views, early morning light and gravestones, or the sun to the back adding depth and shadow.

I think you mean the Waverly cemetery, at Bronte.

Scotty72
12-06-2011, 3:11pm
But I think that may be fenced off and have restricted hours.

mudman
12-06-2011, 3:45pm
Hey Roo, that is Waverly cemetary. i think henry lawson is buried there

mudman
12-06-2011, 3:49pm
i think that before you do anything ask yourself 'would i likec that done to my grave site' if answer is no, then don't do it.

colinbm
12-06-2011, 4:37pm
If you are photographing a model in a cemetery, I guess this could be seen as a commercial activity & you will need councils permission to enter & do the shoot. Even in a so called public recreational park you would need permission.
The council will probably have guidelines & make an appointment for you so as not to clash with other cemetery activities.
Col

Longshots
12-06-2011, 4:53pm
while what is commercial and what isnt a tricky line to understand, you might like to see what Arts Freedom Australia are currently highlighting on their website blog.

http://www.artsfreedomaustralia.com/blog/?page_id=14

FWIW last time I got involved in a discussion on AFA, I was not part of the organisation - I was recently invited to join the AFA board, and accepted.

Bear Dale
12-06-2011, 5:11pm
what is the etiquette in doing such shoots?.

Call out loudly "Going to take some photographs. Does anyone have a problem"? ................... Then listen for a reply.

NikonNellie
12-06-2011, 6:04pm
I organised an AP meet last year at Rookwood Cemetery with about 10 members turning up. We didn't use any models but just generally wandered around the grounds taking our photos of headstones, plaques, statues, etc. We were all very aware of being intruders in what is a very private and emotional place and we payed our utmost respect to the deceased members of the public residing there. Whilst we were there a couple of services were scheduled but we steered clear of them to be respectful of the grieving families.

I did seek permission for our group to have the meet there, which was granted on the provision that the images were not to be used for commercial use. The groundsmen were alerted that our attendance was happening on the date applied for and we were left alone - no questions asked.

Basically - just use commonsense and make sure both you and your models have some fun but with respect to the deceased. Make sure you leave the place just the way you found it......take your rubbish home with you. :)

Roosta
12-06-2011, 7:44pm
I think you mean the Waverly cemetery, at Bronte.

Thanks Scotty, would lobe to see it when next in Sydney.

reaction
12-06-2011, 10:32pm

probably is, but it's my 1st grave shoot, and that's what the model wants. I can't really think of what else to do at a graveyard if you're not paying respects

Unless you want to shoot in the middle of the night

I can tell you now I'm not going near a graveyard at night!

mechawombat
12-06-2011, 10:49pm
Zombie shoot would be more appropiate for a graveyard would it not?

Scotty72
13-06-2011, 10:08am
Thanks Scotty, would lobe to see it when next in Sydney.

Here

A quick fly-by this morning.

Taken from over the fence in the pouring rain.., I didn't hang around to get a good shot :)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3114/5826695044_df6b49746c_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclingscotty/5826695044/)
_MG_5598 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclingscotty/5826695044/) by CyclingScotty (http://www.flickr.com/people/cyclingscotty/), on Flickr

peterb666
13-06-2011, 4:38pm
Do note that that cemetary is locked at night. It is also patrolled by a private security firm.

Bear Dale
13-06-2011, 4:42pm
Here

A quick fly-by this morning.

Taken from over the fence in the pouring rain.., I didn't hang around to get a good shot :)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3114/5826695044_df6b49746c_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclingscotty/5826695044/)
_MG_5598 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclingscotty/5826695044/) by CyclingScotty (http://www.flickr.com/people/cyclingscotty/), on Flickr

My Grandparents are about 20 metres west of that taller headstone.

Scotty72
13-06-2011, 5:43pm
Do note that that cemetary is locked at night. It is also patrolled by a private security firm.

For the 5 mins I was there, I did see one patrol in the distance but, also plenty of early morning joggers running inside the grounds that the patrol seemed to ignore.

Much of the fence is only about 4 feet tall.

Kafter244
13-06-2011, 5:50pm
That's an amazing cemetery; I've walked past it on the Bondi to Coogee walk a few times, I think there may be more than one in the area as well is there not? A few larger crypts and stuff too, and lots of old, classic stuff that the Goth's love. I think it's safe to take everyone's advice here; keep quiet and out of the way of others and you'll be fine. Often it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission, but in this case, maybe permission would be best...especially if there are security patrols :)

peterb666
13-06-2011, 5:55pm
For the 5 mins I was there, I did see one patrol in the distance but, also plenty of early morning joggers running inside the grounds that the patrol seemed to ignore.

They were probably searching for zombies and vampires. Good you were not wearing your cape.

Irru
13-06-2011, 5:59pm
well, I guess everyone eventually wants to try to take some photos in a graveyard. :o

what is the etiquette in doing such shoots? ie, is it OK to touch the stones, are there places we shouldn't walk, things the model shouldn't touch or do?

the model wants to do some vampire stuff, we haven't found a graveyard yet, but want somewhere with long rows of stones close together to get the immersive feel.

A friend of mine is a professional photographer. She concentrates mostly on fashion, with some private portrait shoots, band shoots, and weddings. When she was first starting out, she got many of her friends t model for her a few times while she built a portfolio. I did a couple of shoots with her, and one of those was in a graveyard.

She had a friend of hers, who is a makeup artist, come and help. They told me to dress 'punk' but when I turned up they had other ideas :o
So there I was in Mona Vale cemetery on an overcast Sunday morning, looking more glam rock than punk, with a fluoro-orange, tight shirt and a full set of pool/beach toys (ball, inflatable mattress etc) all in orange as well, face and hair done up in a pasty-white, sort of goth style, trying to dodge mourners while we did a shoot.

I felt really, really uncomfortable, hoping I wasn't offending anyone. We had to keep running and hiding behind a wall whenever people came near, but in the end there was a pretty cool set of pics. A lot of black, white and orange shots in the end.

Do you think that went too far?

Rosh
13-06-2011, 7:30pm
I did a shot for the 2 Day Challenge today the theme is Rusty. Took the shot in the cemetary used DOF and cropped. I think it gave the feel to the theme without disrespecting anyone, either dead or alive.

Rust in Peace

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-YN9daSdWRBc/TfXW3r0v15I/AAAAAAAAAvA/VabBeHcsHF4/s512/IMG_2478.JPG

Scotty72
13-06-2011, 7:35pm
They were probably searching for zombies and vampires. Good you were not wearing your cape.

I knew I forgot something.

colinbm
13-06-2011, 7:48pm
A friend of mine is a professional photographer. She concentrates mostly on fashion, with some private portrait shoots, band shoots, and weddings. When she was first starting out, she got many of her friends t model for her a few times while she built a portfolio. I did a couple of shoots with her, and one of those was in a graveyard.

She had a friend of hers, who is a makeup artist, come and help. They told me to dress 'punk' but when I turned up they had other ideas :o
So there I was in Mona Vale cemetery on an overcast Sunday morning, looking more glam rock than punk, with a fluoro-orange, tight shirt and a full set of pool/beach toys (ball, inflatable mattress etc) all in orange as well, face and hair done up in a pasty-white, sort of goth style, trying to dodge mourners while we did a shoot.

I felt really, really uncomfortable, hoping I wasn't offending anyone. We had to keep running and hiding behind a wall whenever people came near, but in the end there was a pretty cool set of pics. A lot of black, white and orange shots in the end.

Do you think that went too far?

Show us the photos Please :confused013
Col