PDA

View Full Version : Dinner Meet and Some PP??

etherial
10-06-2011, 10:23pm
Hey all, since the weather is pretty rubbish at the moment, I wondered about doing something a bit different for a get together for the Melbourne crowd. I'm thinking of a night out where we could meet, have a couple of ales, a hearty meal and then have a bit of a session chatting about photos, looking at photos and exploring some post production work.

We could invite people to bring laptops if they have them and maybe some photos that we could work on and go through some PP techniques. I have Lightroom on a laptop that I could bring and do a demo for newbies on how I use it (I am by no means an expert!!! But I can do an intro into the basics of what most of it can do) Maybe others could do something similar with other programs??

I have in mind a place that my wife has been to for meetings, it is called the Anglers Tavern in Maribyrnong (http://www.anglers-tavern.com.au/) and if we were to go on a weeknight we could have a meal then move to their meeting rooms which we can use. (Or we can just prop up the bar! :D)

So is there any interest?? If so we can work out a date in July and go from there.

Jorge Arguello
11-06-2011, 11:09am
Hi Mic:

That is a really good idea. We can share what are the basic or complex post processing we do and it will give a clue to others on how to enhance photos.

I use ViewNX 2, and a little bit of GIMP, but honestly I do a very basic things with GIMP but I am happy to share what I know about it.

And we have enough time to manage it. July sounds good as long as it is not on Sat 30-Sun 31. The other 4 week ends would be fine.

bdparker
14-06-2011, 1:49pm
I'd be in it.

Boo53
15-06-2011, 12:22am
Mick

I'm definitely interested. I've got elements on a laptop

Tjfrnds
15-06-2011, 2:16pm
Sounds good! I can't do 16th, 23rd or 30 July though (too many 30th bday's!).

rellik666
15-06-2011, 4:37pm
I'd be interested, depending on when.....

DOn't have anything I can bring though! :(
Roo

Tatts
19-06-2011, 10:52am
I'd be up for this. Weekday would suit me fine. I have a laptop with lightroom, not that i really know what i am doing with it.

etherial
22-06-2011, 11:43pm
Hey guys, well 6 of us is a start. Based on our normal drop-out rate that would leave us around 3-4.

Might be good to get a few more interested before we go to the trouble of booking something. :rolleyes: Maybe it's time for a PM...

nanwu
24-06-2011, 6:25pm
hi, i would be interested depending on the date so i will give a def yes or no once a date has been decided

Terri
06-07-2011, 9:04pm
Hey Guys, sounds like a great idea. I don't really drive much though, so I'm only a maybe at this stage - although Maribyrnong doesn't look too far away so I'm sure I could be brave and manage it :D Would love to meet you all.

arthurking83
06-07-2011, 11:28pm
LOL! the tavern is so close to work, it's ridiculously funny!
problem is that I'll have to get home, shower and (basically)come back again.

Sounds like a plan tho Mic, and anyone that needs a lift to and from I could almost certainly oblige (within reason of course .. no Marlo Maffioso's accepted unless they've pre arranged transport into Melbourne at least! :p)

Set some day's dates and hopefully it'll all gel together.
(If I make it, I'll bring my tablet and can show any interested parties the usefulness of ViewNX in a portable environment as well)

I'll start a suggested date...
Do we want a weekend evening party, which then makes it easier for a lot folks to get themselves there.

That Tavern is easy as pie to get to by public transport too for anyone that's tolerant of public transport. it's sits right on a very heavily transporty route just shy of HighPoint shopping centre. Tram runs right up to the front door(all you have to do is stroll in to the tavern from the tavern, and staggering back to the tram stop is easy also .. even under heavy influence of some of those ales Mic referred too early in his post :food04:
Buses used to annoy the bejeezuz out of me along that road(Maribyrnong Rd) a few moons ago .. so I'm sure they'll be passing along that road at the rate of 15 every 10 seconds ... and from all directions too.

So, how's about Sat 30 Jul (alternatively Fri 29th) at xx:xx PM.
Note; I was going to also suggest Sat 13Aug at yy:yy PM, but I have a feeling it's my mum's birthday about that time of year(but I'm not going to commit to thinking I remembered it so perfectly, as I generally get it all wrong, but only because three of the three females in my family all have their birthday's within a week or so at about that time of year.. and put simply, I just can't keep up with it all! :D)

Tjfrnds
07-07-2011, 12:14am
I can't do any Sat's in July..unless it's this sat:) Fri 29th..I'm a maybe, it's my brother's bday..but don't think he's planning anything.. Can I also suggest Fri 22nd?

Jorge Arguello
08-07-2011, 1:22am
I can't the last week end of July. Any other week end is most likely.

Tatts
10-07-2011, 9:37pm
I can do the 29th or the 30th, can't do the weekends either side.

milesy
13-07-2011, 4:29pm
i would be interested if a date is settled

rellik666
13-07-2011, 4:53pm
Yeah any news on this..

Jorge Arguello
14-07-2011, 4:10pm
This month isl not possible for me, but if date is on August any weekend would be fine for me.

Boo53
14-07-2011, 4:55pm
We've actually brought our holidays forward so we're leaving tomorrow for 4 weeks, so I will not be around until after 20th August (but I guess I'll have a lot of images to edit by then :)

Tatts
20-07-2011, 8:46pm
Any updates?

etherial
20-07-2011, 8:56pm
Umm nup! Been a little busy. Guess I should call the tavern and see about availability etc!

Redwyn0
25-07-2011, 6:14pm
Is there a firm date yet?

Tjfrnds
10-08-2011, 10:36pm
Anyone still keen on this? Maybe for late August or September?

rellik666
11-08-2011, 12:20pm
I would be.....but would have to be sept....

CapnBloodbeard
25-08-2011, 9:27pm
I'm interested, be something different.

If we're going to do demos for people, then perhaps it'd work well if somebody brings an external monitor, and we can hook the laptop in use up to the monitor?

Don't know how practical this is, that'd depend on the location really, but it'll be a lot easier than cramming around a laptop.

etherial
25-08-2011, 9:43pm
Hey all, yes I'm still keen, just haven't been in a position to follow it through. If someone wants to run with setting up something, I'd be happy to come along, enjoy some good company and help where I can.

Tjfrnds
25-08-2011, 10:47pm
I'd be happy to organise something in Geelong if there was interest in coming here?....I just don't know many places in Melbourne anymore:confused013