PDA

View Full Version : Just recieved my 70-200 f2.8 IS L V1

GrahamS
10-06-2011, 6:10pm
Hey guys.
Recieved my 70-200 V1 today, hoping I made a wise purchase it is in remarkably good condition,date code is UW1117. I passed my 70-200 f4 onto my wife.
Anybody out there still using the V1 or am I the only one that still has one? If someone has moved up to the V2, can you tell me why you upgraded as Im hoping to use this lens to support my 135mm f2 for portraits and fast moving small adults (alias children!).
Heres hoping I made the right call. I scored the V1 for aound more than 1k less than a new V2.
Cheers all.

etherial
10-06-2011, 7:25pm
Still using the Mk1??

HELL YES!! It is a brilliant lens, my favourite. Isn't enough reasons for me to upgrade to a Mk2, I don't know many at all who did. (I'm sure there are a few with more money than sense though)

GrahamS
10-06-2011, 9:09pm
Thanks Etherial, I was beginning to think I'd made a big mistake. Still I guess the old saying holds true 'no news is good news'
Cheers.

chrisprendergast
11-06-2011, 6:05pm
very nice lens ive had mine for a while and its nearly my most used lens

stevo
11-06-2011, 6:17pm
I'm still using a very well used 70-200 IS mkI.

It isn't as sharp at f/4 as either the standard f/4 or IS version but it's close and the extra stop is usefull.

mikew09
11-06-2011, 6:55pm
Mate - from all I know the mk1 is an exceptional lens. I have the f4 version of this lens and I just love it but do miss the wider aperture at times. I think you will be very happy witht he lens and the wider aperture you will apreciate I am sure.

GrahamS
12-06-2011, 10:41pm
Thanks to all for your replies, I managed to get out and get some shots on Saturday (in between the showers) and I have to say I'm pretty impressed, its not as sharp as my 135mm f2 but for the benefits afforded by having a fast zoom, its nothing a little PP would not fix up. Really happy with my purchase.
Cheers.

davearnold
13-06-2011, 8:09pm
I borrowed this lens for the weekend off a mate from work, check my flickr, all history alive photos were taken with it.

I love the way it can seperate a subject from its background, amazingly fast and sharp.

It goes back to its owner tomorrow :(

Cheers Dave

KeeFy
15-06-2011, 5:03pm
If you've used the mk1 and the mk2. You'll notice a difference. If not... you'll be fine. I never had the mk1 but had borrowed it from a friend together with a rented mk2. I compared photos with the mk2 and there is a significant difference @ in terms of sharpness IMO. So i saved up more money to get the mk2 and didn't regret it. I reckon it's as sharp as the F4 wide open.

Frankly speaking.. unless you need to crop or pixel peep.... the mk1 is a smashing lens. I'm a lousy photographer so i need to crop very often :P

mickyj
18-06-2011, 11:20am
8 days on, and I am sure you are loving it. I love my lens and it is a V1. I think it is the favorite of all my lenses.

screamer
18-06-2011, 3:58pm
Have this lens and it is fantastic for a range of purposes. You won't have a problem.