PDA

View Full Version : Canon RAW file processing. RawTherapee or DPP or LightRoom

colormeter
10-06-2011, 10:19am
Hi

I have been using DPP(Digital Photo Professional) for processing raw files and then using GIMP for editing. Last week I went through a video tutorial about Adobe Camera Raw and was amazed by the capabilty of it. It is much advanced than DPP. Now Adobe Camera Raw comes with Photoshop which is way too expensive for me.

After researching I found out that LightRoom is built on Camera Raw with more features thrown into it. It is much cheaper than photoshop.

While searching for another raw file processing software I came accross RawTherapee. It is free and UI better that DPP.

I am confused right now between LR and RT. Is LR worth the money?

Thanks

4wdexposure
10-06-2011, 1:08pm
Yes - ACR is a great piece of software which, as you say comes with all the Adobe products. I've not used Lightroom, but did start out with Elements which has a lot in common with CS5. Ultimately found that only CS5 had the power I wanted - yes it is expensive, but if by chance you qualify for their academic package it's a bargain (I think my daughters copy cost about $150)! The academic package is a full version - you just have to prove your bona fides to Adobe for the key.

colormeter
10-06-2011, 2:42pm
Thanks for reminding me of academic package. I work in uni and so asked my boss if I am eligible for discount[I am on long time contract]. He talked to somebody and just told me that I can buy academic package from adobe education store.
I am leaning towards Adobe prmium production suite. I havn't done much video editing but my interest is growing in it. I was thinking about buying another video editing software but now I can get $3000 worth of stuff in around $400.

and another good thing is there is a lynda photoshop cs5 tutrial in online library of uni which I can access anytime.

Sezzy
11-06-2011, 2:19pm
Having used both photoshop and lightroom - I lean VERY strongly towards lightroom. It is much more user friendly than Photoshop (for me anyway). I haven't ever heard of Raw Therapee, but should do some investigation.

:)

agb
11-06-2011, 2:24pm
Thanks for reminding me of academic package. I work in uni and so asked my boss if I am eligible for discount[I am on long time contract]. He talked to somebody and just told me that I can buy academic package from adobe education store.
I am leaning towards Adobe prmium production suite. I havn't done much video editing but my interest is growing in it. I was thinking about buying another video editing software but now I can get $3000 worth of stuff in around $400.

and another good thing is there is a lynda photoshop cs5 tutrial in online library of uni which I can access anytime.

You are spoilt.:D
Too good to pass up then.

cinvala
14-06-2011, 2:33pm
The Lynda tutorials are pretty good, I was got a months viewing when I brought CS4. I thought the Chris Orwig lesson very good.

screamer
16-06-2011, 12:33am
Lightroom is built from the ground up for photographers and thier workflow and has extensive RAW file handling capability. Major functional areas in Lightroom include Library (image storage and retrieval management), Develop (picture enhancement), Slideshow (display photos on monitor), Web (create pics and upload to the web) and Print (the best printing engine for photographers - second to none).

I use Lightroom for 95% of my work and Photoshop CS5 for the remaining 5%. If you go to the video below, there is a good comparison of Lightroom and Photoshop from a photographers perspective.

http://www.adorama.com/alc/article/Lightroom-Versus-Photoshop-AdoramaTV

Hope this helps

jjphoto
16-06-2011, 7:39am
Phase One 'Capture One', arguably the best RAW converter in the business. Been using it for about 6 years now, tried many others, but keep coming back.

JJ

Bizzhu
16-06-2011, 1:58pm
i prefer Lightroom 3, it is perfect for organizing and processing photo file. U can have a free trial at offical lightroom website. The trial version is fully functional and offers every feature of the product for you to test-drive. :)

Analog6
16-06-2011, 2:08pm
Phase One 'Capture One', arguably the best RAW converter in the business. Been using it for about 6 years now, tried many others, but keep coming back.

JJ

Gets my vote too, far better than anything else on the market

GJC
16-06-2011, 5:05pm
I love Lightroom: workflow, all of the basic editing that I need, export, and publishing.

Tommo224
17-06-2011, 10:15am
By Lightroom, I'm assuming Adobe Lightroom 3 yes? Okay I'm going to get myself a copy. I have been awoken by this whole RAW thing :)

colormeter
20-06-2011, 5:43pm
I have downloaded and installed LightRoom 3 and PhotoShop CS5 trials.
I liked LightRoom also but as i just finished a tutorial Photoshop Essential training (http://www.lynda.com/Photoshop-CS5-tutorials/essential-training/60816-2.html), I think Bridge+Camera Raw+Photoshop Combination is more than enough for me at this stage.
regarding Capture One I always thought that it is for Phase One Cameras only. It is expensive also considering that I will be getting Adobe Premier Production suite for $365 as I work in Uni.