PDA

View Full Version : Icons and letters On the dial ?

Nikkie
10-06-2011, 7:42am
I know this much that M manual auto is auto but what about the others A,S,P I know S is semi auto because I seen where Rick said it. but apart from auto and manual are the other setting including the icons portrait , landscape , child , close up,Night are these other settings considered to be auto setting just there for a guide or something more. I guess what I am asking is if I want to take landscape and I used landscape setting would that be considered as auto if you know what I mean. I have a Nikon D3100 with kit lens 18-55

ricktas
10-06-2011, 7:52am
No I did not say S was semi-auto. I think you need to read your camera manual it is all layed out in there for you.

S is for Shutter Speed
Tv is for Shutter Speed (Canon)
P is for program (auto)
M is for Manual
A is for Aperture

Some camera's also have Cl Ch (Continuous low speed and Continuous high speed)
L or Lv- or something like it (Live View)
A small clock symbol (self timer)
And more.

It really depends on your camera brand and model) as to what is available to you on the dials, rather than via the menu's. You need to get your manual out do some study on your camera.

Nikkie
10-06-2011, 8:23am
My deepest and most humble apology Rick I went back to the forum where I first seen in I misread and misunderstood what you said. I am also sorry for asking this on here I just wish I had a manual I could hold it seems most company's just want you to down load there pfd it makes it hard for me to find what I am looking for. when its only on computer Ill be a lot more careful what I am saying I don't want to get into the bad books with any one AP

ricktas
10-06-2011, 8:25am
what camera do you have?

Nikkie
10-06-2011, 8:33am
I did edit the post as I always I forget to put it in Nikon D3100 with kit lens

ricktas
10-06-2011, 8:38am
Go HERE (http://nikonasia-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6836/kw/D3100/session/L3RpbWUvMTMwNzY1NTM5My9zaWQvVGlrVlo1d2s%3D) and download the Manual and quick user guide. Then if you take the PDF to a local Kwik Kopy etc, they can print and bind it for you, if you want a printed version to cart with you, but often the quick user guide suffices out in the field.

Scotty72
10-06-2011, 1:16pm
No I did not say S was semi-auto.

Rick! have you been showing off your collection of assault weapons, again?

ricktas
10-06-2011, 1:26pm
Nikon also have a much under-publicised website with video tutorials for all most of their cameras. For lessons on using your D3100 Nikkie, check HERE (http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d3100/index.html)

Michaela
10-06-2011, 1:41pm
I can also thoroughly recommend the Magic Lantern guides - there is one available for the D3100 from site sponsor Fishpond. They are very clear and much easier to read than the supplied manuals, in my opinion. :)

Nikkie
10-06-2011, 3:05pm
thank you again Rick very good of you to help me this way

Nikkie
10-06-2011, 3:06pm
thank you for your information as well Michaela I will cheek it out

Ms Monny
10-06-2011, 3:28pm
I can also thoroughly recommend the Magic Lantern guides - there is one available for the D3100 from site sponsor Fishpond. They are very clear and much easier to read than the supplied manuals, in my opinion. :)

Yes, I got the Magic Lantern for my Canon and OMG, it showed me so much more than the manual did, and it was easier to understand!!