PDA

View Full Version : Tamron 90mm or Pentax 100mm WR

leemiki
09-06-2011, 5:46pm
I am about to buy the portrait/Macro lens. So I have Tamron 90mm and Pentax 100mm WR in my mind.

Tamron is about $550 and Pentax is $890 (both from Authorised Dealer come with local warranty). I however can buy the pentax from grey market which is about just $700

should I go for Pentax or Tamron?

Cheers,
Lee

peterb666
09-06-2011, 7:05pm
I know a couple of people with the Tammy 90mm and one of them also uses it for portrait. If you are shooting in a small area, you might find it somewhat cramped. It equates to around a 135mm equivalent lens on a cropped sensor camera.

I am using a Tamron 60mm f/2 marco as a portrait lens and it does a good job becoming a 90mm eqivalent lens so is close to the classic 85mm portrait lenses of full-frame cameras. It is more expensive than the 90mm Tamron.

KevPride
09-06-2011, 9:08pm
I don't have either, but I think the popular choice is Tamron 90. The Tamron 60 by the way is not available in Pentax mount. The $ savings would be a good selling point for Tamron, if you need WR then this would be the best selling point of the Pentax + the focus clutch.

ricstew
10-06-2011, 6:36am
I would be happy to have either!

PH005
10-06-2011, 7:28am
All comes down to the $$$. You will be very happy with either one.

leemiki
10-06-2011, 10:32pm
Thanks guys. I would go for tamron 90mm or sigma 70mm macro

Tannin
10-06-2011, 10:56pm
I've never used either lens, but if a genuine Pentax 100mm macro isn't an absolute cracker, I'll swallow it whole. Without sauce!

PH005
10-06-2011, 11:20pm
I've never used either lens, but if a genuine Pentax 100mm macro isn't an absolute cracker, I'll swallow it whole. Without sauce!

Now i would pay good money to see that. :eek:

tim71
11-06-2011, 11:08pm
G'day Lee,

the Pentax is $619 at site sponsor B&H plus circa $60 delivery

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=15492&N=4288584250+4291284238

pentax lenses have international warranties & B&H are a authorised retailer, I have purchased from B&H and have always been happy

so it is about $550 vs $680

have a look at the lens reviews at pentax forums (both for pentax lenses and 3rd party) and photozone.

both are good lenses............not much help am I !!

is weatherproofing important to you?

cheers,
Tim

Pixley
12-06-2011, 7:21am
I know I am not answering your question directly - but I have the Tamron 90mm and the Pentax 50-135. I mostly use both as a portrait lens - not much macro unfortunately and for the quality of the images I think the Pentax lens easily outsrips the Tamron lens for this purpose. As for use as a Macro lens - I therefore couldn't comment on the difference - but I would still go for Pentax if you have the cash.

Good luck

leemiki
12-06-2011, 11:27am
Thank guys. Appreciate every post.

G'day Lee,

pentax lenses have international warranties & B&H are a authorised retailer, I have purchased from B&H and have always been happy

Tim

I sent an email to C.R. Kennedy enquiring about the warranty if purchased from B&H Photo

"We will not honour any warranty from overseas grey imports. Our policy is on our website:
http://www.crkennedy.com.au/v1/index.cfm?pageID=465&pageRef=179&CFID=3539263&CFTOKEN=88008052

We will still repair and service your camera and charge you."

From C.R. Kennedy

So I end up with Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Marco

tim71
12-06-2011, 2:59pm
Hi leemiki,

thanks for the reply, interesting response from crkennedy,

I would interpret an international warranty somewhat differently

I known that pentax camera bodies don't have international warranties but thought lenses did.

I might email B&H to get their take

can others shed some light on this

cheers,

Tim

I @ M
12-06-2011, 3:29pm
Tim, would you care to show us where on the www it says that Pentax lenses have international warranties.

Kym
12-06-2011, 4:20pm
Pentax do not by default have International Warranty. You can get a temporary card if travelling.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/support/

International Warranty Card

New PENTAX products do not automatically come with an international warranty that covers all PENTAX products around the world. However, it is possible to obtain an International Warranty Card through PENTAX Imaging Company after you have purchased a PENTAX product. If you bought your PENTAX product in the United States and are traveling to a foreign country for an extended period of time, we can send you an International Warranty Card to cover your product while you are abroad. We will also send you a list of authorized service centers around the world.

To obtain an International Warranty Card, please send the below-listed items to PENTAX Imaging Company, 600 12th Street, Suite 300, Golden, CO 80401:
A copy of your dated proof of purchase, with the name and address of the U.S. dealer.
The serial number on your PENTAX product (if it has one).

If you bought your PENTAX product in another country, and you are planning to visit the United States, we can send you an International Warranty Card to cover your product while you are within the United States. You will need to send us the following items:
A copy of your dated proof of purchase.

The serial number on your PENTAX product (if it has one).
We will fill out an International Warranty Card and mail it to you. The time period and product coverage provided by the International Warranty Card is the same as the standard PENTAX Limited Warranty (as specified above).

I'm 99.9% sure the same applies to CR Kennedy (Pentax Australia)

http://www.crkennedy.com.au/v1/index.cfm?pageID=465&pageRef=179&
http://www.pentax.com.au/pentax/index.php?q=node/82

tim71
13-06-2011, 1:53pm
G'day Andrew,

i will have to pull out my warranty papers later today and have a thorough read

based on Kym's post it looks like I have missed the fine print

cheers,

Tim

pgbphotographytas
27-06-2011, 7:43am
I am also just tossing up between making this decision, so much choice. I had a Tamron 90mm Macro on Nikon and I was quite happy with that so I might look for the same in Pentax mount.

Paul

campdog
11-08-2011, 7:28am
I got hold of a Pentax SMC 100mm f/2.8macro a few years ago for about $500.An old lens and heavier but much better than the fantastic plastics that are on the market.What a fantastic lens and so sharp and a great portrait lens as well.

John