PDA

View Full Version : Glanz Mini Pioneer lighting kit

snat56
08-06-2011, 8:41pm
Hi all - Was trolling through the web today looking at lighting kits (been a while) and came across Glanz Mini 160 and 250 lighting kits. Certainly looked like an affordable entry to studio lighting. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these. Could not find any reviews...

fess67
08-06-2011, 9:42pm
I have the 160 kit. 3 lamps with a couple of shoot through umbrellas and 1 reflective umbrella. Certainly was an affordable entry to studio lighting but I cannot recommend it as a good option. I have had this kit for 18 months and they ok. BUT, ok is not good and I would recommend waiting, saving and buying a 'better' option. I have just (yesterday) taken delivery of an Elinchrom BX500RI To Go kit and just with the 2 tests shots I have taken I can tell it is far and away a better option. That is maybe a bit naughty since I have litterally only taken 2 shots with the new lamp but believe me it is a huge difference.

If I had not spent the money on the Glanz kit I would have had the Elinchrom much sooner :)

Glanz Pros

Affordable
3 lamps
portable - nice bag and easy to set up

Glanz cons:

Low power - does not throw much out at all
Lightweight stands - not very stable and not tall
weak construction - not durable, brollys weak and power connectors to the lamps break easy
lack of 'accessories' - struggled to find anything that would fit so had to 'fashion' reflectors etc to fit. That said, once the reflector was fitted the light output improved massively

I am not in a position yet to say how the Elinchrom kit is going to work but given teh first 2 shots and the 'big name' quality plus accessory list.......my opinion is save a few months more and go Elinshom or Bowens.

ps. Although the Glanz kit has 3 lamps, you only really need one so go look at a 'name' brand and see how much one is....then you can add coponents later, something I have not managed to do with Glanz.

Bottom line, save up and buy the best you can first time....saves you upgrading and having redundant kit.

pps...anyone want to buy a really nice Glanz 160 kit :D

snat56
09-06-2011, 6:15pm
Thanks Fess - some great advice. Sounds like the ol' you get what you pay for... Was originally considering one of the Elincrome kits and considering your comments could still lean that way.

Thanks again!

fess67
09-06-2011, 7:12pm
Just had 20 minutes with the new lights. ROFL....had to move them a long long way back from the subject, very powerful. With the Glanz I had to place the lights very close. Having just put the Glanz away I noticed that all 3 power connectors in the rear of the units are broken and I remembered that the remote trigger had failed so I was having to use the sync cords.

I am also impressed with the modelling lights, they increase / decrease in power as you adjust the settings so you are able to see the resulting shadows that you will get.