PDA

View Full Version : P-TTL Compatible Flash Guide

Hawthy
06-06-2011, 7:37pm
I have been thinking about getting an external flash unit and the more I have looked into it the more I realise that I need to learn. I started thinking that I could start with a cheap Chinese flash but have had cause to re-think.

Anyway, I found this very useful website that explains the differences between the range of flashes that accomodate the Pentax P-TTL flash system:

http://pttl.mattdm.org/

JM Tran
06-06-2011, 8:22pm
Yongnuo makes the excellent YN468 which is TTL but alas, not available for Pentax system as they probably deemed it too small a user group to produce them in large numbers - otherwise its a great buy at under $100AUD.

Hawthy
06-06-2011, 8:47pm
Yeah. I looked at the Yongnuo but at this stage I think that I need something fairly automatic. Not sure that my skill range (or maths abilities) extends to manually calculating flash exposures.

BTW, just how does one achieve the exalted title of "Grand Poobah"?

Cage
06-06-2011, 10:04pm
Thanks for the link Hawthy.

I'm looking for something for outside fill flash, and from what I've looked at the Metz Megablitz 50 AF-1 for around $230 (on fleabay) seems to give the most bang for the buck.

gordon_l34
17-06-2011, 4:22pm
Hi Kevin,

An excellent site is Pentax Forums in the USA where they have done various comparisons. Don't do what I did and that is buy a Metz 45 CL - 4 unless it is a digital version, which mine isn't. I am seriously considering the Metz 58 AF - 2 over the Sigma 610 DG Super.

What you have to remember is that it is like tripods, if you buy a cheap one you keep upgrading and it ends up costing you more than what it would have to get the good one in the first place.

Regards,
Gordon.

Cage
20-06-2011, 4:52pm
Thanks Gordon.

A shortcut to PF lives on my desktop and I refer to it before I buy anything. The Metz 50 AF-1 is the sucessor to the 48 AF-1 which won the "TIPA 2008" award for best accessory, so I feel pretty confident it will do what I want it to.

And coincidentally, I recently did a write up on buying a tripod.

Cheers

Kevin

Ozzi Paul
13-07-2011, 1:17am
I use the Metz 48 AF-1 on my K20D, & find it to be a great flash so the upgraded 50 AF-1 will be even better. Think it may even have a metal hotshoe mount now? or maybe thats just the 58 AF-2 that has it. Still, it should be a pretty good unit.

jeff40
02-01-2012, 9:44pm
I just recently purchased a Metz 58 AF 2 flash gun. It works marvelously with K-7

gordon_l34
08-04-2012, 5:40pm
Hi,

My Christmas present was a Metz 58-AF-2 and a Metz-15 MS-1. I caught a possum up a tree in the back yard about a fortnight ago at 0300hrs and took a few photographs of it with the 58 and it hasn't been back since, which is good as it was eating my wife's herbs. There was no shortage of subject illumination from 09metres. I was very impressed, to say the least. I was using my K20D with my Sigma 50-150mm,f2.8.

Regards.